She Bit me!!! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-11-2007, 09:09 PM Thread Starter

Exclamation She Bit me!!!

Ok so I told you all how we just adopted a 5yr old Pitbull mix Thursday and everythings been great, except I was afraid of her with the cats. Today we gave her more freedom and things went well as far as the cats went. Tonight my husband and I took her for a walk then we came in and she was laying in the livingroom. So I decided so brush her which I've done before (I've even bathed her in the tub) Any way as Im brushing her I was talking and looked away when all at the sametime I heard kinda bark then I felt teeth hit my hand! It all happened so fast that my husband and me didn't actually see it. She didnt break skin but there is a mark on my hand from one tooth. My husband thinks maybe I hit her "area" and it hurt so she re-acted. It's weird cause her skin hangs out a bit that you notice right away shes a girl. So we're assuming by me not looking at what I was doing maybe I hit?? I was in that region. I'm so upset though. It scared me knowing she snapped and knicked me lik that. Shes so submissive to us, but still she can take an arm off if she wanted to ya know?? And the fact that I don't her past worries me more. We don't have kids so not much of a fear there.

Any tip to how I should feel?? I'm broken hearted, let down right now to be honest. Am I over re-acting?? As a kid and stuff I've been biten a few times by dogs, and still I love them. I know my husband was upset too, even though he didn't SAY it which pissed me off more. He was more worried about playing it down so I don't say shes out.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-11-2007, 09:23 PM

sometimes our dogs get 'irritated' by us brushing... esp. our female...they are poms so they dont do much damage. but sometimes they have sensitive areas or stuff that annoys them...and they nip....
but def. wait for more input from others
post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-11-2007, 09:46 PM
Title Thief Victim

Well, as a Pit owner, I would have to say that if she didnt break the skin that she was just doing it to let you know she don't want anymore. My pit does that, usally she will make a whinning/barking noice before she bites. You just can't show fear aroud her, or she will think she is the domoniant one.

I have a wolf hybrid and a pit. they get into massive fights, but I have to get in the middle (litterally) and break them up. and yes, she could like rip my arm off if she wanted to, but she don't want to.

But, I think she was just giving you a warning that it was bugging/irritateing her. Just don't show fear around her, ill tell you the truth..my pit scares me sometimes..if i push her of the bed she lounches at me, but I dont show fear so she stops.

ps..i can't spell...lol

I hope i helped alittle.

Carissasaurus Rex
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-11-2007, 10:02 PM
RAT ADDICT

I don't really have any advice,but maybe she did it because you touched a sensitive area,as mentioned above.Or maybe you spooked her somehow?

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-11-2007, 10:04 PM
Leo

Yikes, I would just keep an eye on her, perhaps go to an Obedience class or 2 with her and make sure you are still letting her know that you are top dog in the house, and that ALL human outrank her in pack order.

Perhaps a vet visit is in order as well, to rule out any medical issues that may have caused it, who knows if she maybe has internal sores that you may have pressed on.
post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-11-2007, 11:01 PM

give her a break this one time but if she bites again she's out
lol
at least thats what i would do
i would be a little dissapointed too i hate aggressive dogs
but she might be ok no way to know for sure
post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-11-2007, 11:04 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

my dog is scared to death of brushes... he isn't a pit, hes a lab mix... but anyway.. he gets burs alot and i have to pluck him and he doesnt like it so he is forever bitting to tell me to stop and i tell him no and push his head down and keep plucking.. he never breaks the skin and ends up giving in and dealing with it

[/CENTER]

post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-12-2007, 06:39 AM
Curmudgeon

That's not good. There is no excuse for a bite for something as innocuous as brushing. If it's that easy to push her into an aggressive response, I'd consider her unsafe around other animals, children and anyone else I cared for, ...especially since she is a Pit mix, and the ramifications of an attack are so serious.

She's not a puppy that's learning manners, she's as well balanced a dog as she's going to be. If it happened once, it can happen again. If it happened with someone who panicked and ran or screamed, they could trigger an even more severe attack, that's how predator instincts work, especially in a dog bred to fight like a Pit.

Unless you know for sure what caused it and can be 100% capable of avoiding it in the future, I'd get rid of her. Heartless as it sounds, you have lots of things to think about. Her possibly injuring (or worse) someone or some animal, ...and there are legal implications. You could be held financially liable or sued for damages if she injures someone. Juries don't look favorably on dog bites now, especially if you the word "Pit" comes up. You could be taken to the cleaners for the slightest injury of a neighborhood child.

With that nip, she opened a can of worms for you. I don't have any use for biting dogs, of any breed. Unless they are defending a life or property, there is no excuse for it, ...ever. It shows poor training and/or a flawed background. Either way, I'd get rid of her pronto. I just wouldn't have a dog that I couldn't trust. JMO

bob

The Mistress
"Cogito Ergo Zoom"
I think, therefore I drive fast.
post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-12-2007, 08:16 AM
Super Moderator

I dunno - that does suck and I would probably be disapointed too.

But I don't think I'd consider it any worse then if another type of dog did it just because she's a pit.

Any breed of dog can have bitting/aggression problems. My parent's cocker spaniel has bitten a few times - even a cop once. But just because they bit out of fear/pain once or even more then once doesn't mean they are going to turn into mean aggressive dogs.

Especially because this wasn't a bad bite, and there are no children to worry about, I would definatly work with her more before considering giving her up. If you give her up and tell the shelter or whatever it's because of biting what happens to her then?

If you just adopted her - her whole life has just changed. She's in a new place with new people and nothing that she's known before - anyone/anything would be a little nervous in that situation.

If I were you I would do as some other people suggested and bring her to the vet for a checkup, then maybe enrol her in some classes.

post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-12-2007, 08:29 AM Thread Starter

I wanted to multi quotes your replys but I didnt see a multi quote button?? Anyways-

As quick as it happened when we turned to her she had her head down and eyes looking up at me as if she knew she did wrong as was sorry but who knows. I knew at that point I couldnt be fearful other wise its over so I walked away called her oner and she came layed down and gave me her belly which to me was REALLY submissive. Then my husband started to brush her again and she was fine. He did go towards her area to see what she would do and as he approached it she did turn to watch him, but with no aggression. So I am assuming I hurt her there and its a sensitive area which makes since, cause I would be pissed too LOL.
Still I said to my husband 2 strikes shes out, this was #1! I do worry though how she would be would kids and other dogs. Shes handling the cats farely well, not perfect but it's only been 4 days.

I went to bed upset still and when I got up I took her for a walk then played in the yard a bit with her before her breakfast. Then she ate and layed on the floor till I crated her to go to work.

I'm still very torn cause I don't want to worry about her hurting someone or something, and not exactly knowing her and her history worries me. Is there any way of "testing" her to find out how she will react to other pets, and kids in a controlled manner??
post #11 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-12-2007, 12:57 PM

I'm sorry, but I agree with Bob. If she bit once she will do it again. It may take months or years but it will happen again. You don't know her background and she does have pit in her. Yes any dog can have aggression problems but these poor dogs have been bred for the wrong things for so long that it is in their blood now. You mentioned strike 2, what if that happens to be an attack on a child? Then it is to late, especially since she now has a bite history. We have a beagle we are getting ready to put down for the same reason. We took him out of an abusive situation and have worked with him for 11 years but he still bites on occasion. He sent my son to the ER last year and my husband pleaded with me not to put him down. I finally gave in but you know what? He bit my son again last week. Like I said, it will happen again. Now I am done and when my husband gets home from a business trip he is on right now the dog is going in to be put down. I just don't want to risk anymore injury. I would take her back before you become terribly attached. I don't mean to sound harsh I know it isn't easy it's not for me either, especially after 11 years but sometimes it has to be done.
post #12 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-12-2007, 01:08 PM

Wow! I've never owned a dog, but if any pets bit me I always take it personally. I always want them to like me. I hope that doesn't happen again. Its no excusse to bite. I know lots of dogs who get teased by kids and just walk away. Maybe whine. You don't have kids, but its not a good habit for a dog to get into. Hope things work out. Maybe you can train her out of it? I don't know much about dogs though. Is that possible at all?
post #13 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-12-2007, 01:14 PM
Rodentologist

I really think that the reason for the bite has to be evaluated. I think if this dog was anything BUT a pit, people would not be on the tangent about her being dangerous. Running a brush across your private area is not comfortable, and if you weren't paying attention, you really have no idea what you did. You could have really hurt her. If she were being aggressive, she would have growl, sunk her teeth in, and made sure she knew that she was threatening you.

Instead she immediately showed a submissive posture. If someone hurt you in the naughty bits, would you slap them for it?
post #14 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-12-2007, 01:38 PM Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jennicat
I really think that the reason for the bite has to be evaluated. I think if this dog was anything BUT a pit, people would not be on the tangent about her being dangerous. Running a brush across your private area is not comfortable, and if you weren't paying attention, you really have no idea what you did. You could have really hurt her. If she were being aggressive, she would have growl, sunk her teeth in, and made sure she knew that she was threatening you.

Instead she immediately showed a submissive posture. If someone hurt you in the naughty bits, would you slap them for it?
Agreed! the fact that I don't know what I did and wasn't paying attention and could have hurt her leaves room for a 2nd chance! My husband adopted her on his own and said it was a bunch of volunteer female teens that encouraged him she was an AWESOME dog. She didn't break skin, and I barely have a mark today. I don't know if I mentioned this but I bathed her and she took it in stride - no aggression. It prob is the fact that shes a Pit that worries all of us and for good reason cause they pack POWER.

Well I spoke to the hubby today and told him I'm not afraid personally, but I'm afraid of the future and we need really work with her and take her out in controlled situations to see how she reacts. I had a little BBQ Sunday and she had no issues when ppl came in, she is ppl friendly. Of course when she hears noises she definitely checks it out and makes her presence known like a good Dog should.

I really am stressed about this, and it easy just to say take her back. But I don't want to give up so easily. Like I said too I don't have kids, and regardless if I think about it I would never let anyones child near any of my dogs. I had a nasty little dog chiwawa, Jack Russel mix. I was even scared of the thing-but he was small and I crated him when we had company he was so mean. So I don't care what size the dog is any bite on a child is a bite!

Bottom line everyone my husband isn't giving up yet lol so I'll keep yas posted. Everyone gave valid post, and I appreciate the advice. BTW we take her food and treats away here to make sure she doesn't have food aggression and stuff with not a problem AT ALL- thats good right???

Man I'm giving myself a tension headache I'm so stressed.
post #15 of 45 (permalink) Old 06-12-2007, 01:57 PM

Don't stress too much. Does the rescue that you got her from do tempermant testing before they put dogs up for adoption? If not you could call a behaviorist and see if they could help you figure out if this would be an ongoing problem. I am just trying to think of the legal ramifications that you could have if something did happen in the future. Yes I think people are reacting stronger b/c she is part pit but that is b/c whether we like it or not there has been a TON of bad press about these dogs and judges may be less sympathetic if you chose to keep a pit as a pet. It is completely possible you may have just hurt her but when I do something my lab mix doesn't like the most he will do is yelp or lick my hand. Like Bob said if that is all it took to push her to bite you I would be a little concerned.

Last edited by sara8; 06-12-2007 at 01:59 PM.

Tags
bully breeds, cocker spaniel, dog training, lab mix, pit bull, vet visit