Shedding - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-20-2004, 09:52 PM Thread Starter
Miss New Booty

Shedding

A couple Brad does computer work for at their stores have 2 dogs, he thinks the one is a golden/gsd mix. Her and her boyfriend are moving into a new house, and her boyfriend loves the dog, too, but he sheds everywhere and said they might have to find him a new home! She is very upset and asked Brad if we had any advice on how to help minimize the shedding.

I had a few ideas but was wondering if anyone has any suggestions? Brad didn't know what they were feeding the dogs, I said to try a natural food, such as Wellness. My dogs switch between Wellness and Solid Gold. Jasmine used to shed alot, but since switching to natural foods, it has helped her. Also, Flaxseed Oil, I know this helps their coat, what about the shedding? I was checking out Solid Gold's link on health and coat care also.

http://www.solidgoldhealth.com/produ...wcat.php?cat=4

I also thought, as simple as this sounds, maybe spending more time brushing him atleast once a day to get the hair off, etc. Are there any good supplements to get for this as well that anyone has used?

Thanks for any advice guys!

~* Jackie *~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-21-2004, 12:33 AM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Jackie there are remedies out there to use to help in controlling shedding, but yes brushing once a day will surely minimize it. It is a shame to have to find a new home for a dog because it shed's. We haven't had a fuzz free house in years no matter how hard we try, but it's all a part of being an animal lover/owner
Being over here we have grown to love Drs. Foster & Smith and they offer various types of shed control products as well.

Shed Control

Shed Tools

I hope all can work out!!!

MCBA Member

Submit your info today

I Sell Chinchilla Supplies!
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-21-2004, 03:10 AM
Suffers From Southern Belle Syndrome

With us, it's all a matter of brushing and DEALING WITH THE FACT THEY SHED! People shed, too! Our shower is just covered in long, curly red hairs from me!

You know, my clothes haven't been hair free since I moved here. Samoyeds are the KINGS of all shedders. Our apartment is completely covered in white puffs from Kirby. But Sami and I accept it and try to just brush the hair off when we go out. Minimising shedding is sometimes important, yes, but anyone who owns a dog (or any animal with hair) needs to understand and accept that this thing will shed! It's very sad when owners want to get rid of their pet just because it has hair it needs to get rid of.

If the dog is mostly an indoors pet, that could be a problem too. From experience most of my animals that remain mostly indoors shed MORE than the pets that get to spend a lot of time outside.

Changing the diet could help, brushing more, or taking the dog outside more often. All those things could help, but I think the thing that would help the MOST is acceptance of animal shedding and tolerance for it.

(Be one with the doggie hair. )

Edit:
(Extra thought)-- The Samoyede tribe in Russia (creators of the Samoyed) used their dogs hair to make clothing for the winter.

― Rowan

I've been frosted!

Last edited by pihlaja; 07-21-2004 at 03:12 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-21-2004, 03:38 AM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Quote:
Originally Posted by pihlaja
(Be one with the doggie hair. )
I like that

MCBA Member

Submit your info today

post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-21-2004, 04:29 AM

I should make a list of doggie hair mantras.

I honesty think we have the worst shedding dog on the planet. I should take some pictures of our couch, clothes, and the back of Sami's car just to SHOW how much that white puff of his sheds! Most people would be appalled, I think.

When I came back to Louisiana after visiting Finland for the first time, ALL of my clothes were covered in his hair and I COULD NOT get them out! So, I had to go to work with VERY LONG white Kirby hair all over me. One girl said, "Oh my god! What is what white gunk covering your pants?! Did you ruin some angora hair pants?"

― Rowan

I've been frosted!

post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-21-2004, 09:29 AM
I Think I Need a Bigger Bear

Yep, supplements & good food can help... but that girl needs to understand that some dogs just shed ALOT.

We've got a shedding blade that works wonders - it's great! It only takes 15 mins to brush a huge shepherd and get the majority of hair off.
Here's a link: Shedding Blade

~ Jodi ~

post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-21-2004, 01:01 PM Thread Starter
Miss New Booty

Thank you all so much!!!!!! I knew you all would have wonderful advice!! I will tell Brad to let her know about all this information. Oh, before I meant to say.. *this girl is so upset.. at her boyfriend (not her dog)!* lol! Incase it looked that way, it did when I reread it!

These links are great. I have never dealt with much of this, so I didn't know about any supplements, etc. I said even just brushing more makes a huge difference. I hope she can try some of these things and that everything works out. And that she can knock some sense into her boyfriend about this!

Quote:
Be one with the doggie hair
No kidding! I guess my cats are the real shedders here! No outfit is complete without cat/dog hair! My mom said I shouldn't wear black shirts anymore, all you see is the hair from them! LOL My long hair is all over the house, too! I was vacuuming and something was caught in it, and it was all my hair, I know what you mean!

~* Jackie *~

post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-21-2004, 01:09 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Oh my gosh, I hope she doesn't get rid of her dog! I would get rid of the boyfriend! I hope it works out. Keep us posted Jackie!

Rats have rights...& mice too!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-21-2004, 01:38 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Yes Jackie keep us posted......Oh and Jodi thanks for the idea of the shedding blades, we only have found the undercoat rakes here and it has worked wonders but still a pain in the butt!!!

MCBA Member

Submit your info today

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-21-2004, 10:46 PM
I Wish I Were a Snot Ball Shooter

Just thought I'd add a little something here. Dutchy sheds quite a bit, all the time. He also gets overheated and looks for ways to cool off, like flopping down in a mud puddle, digging a hole in the yard to make a cool place to lie down in etc. etc.. He also has a tendency to be overweight.
Our vet is a certified acupuncturist, and has studied a lot of Eastern medicine - and says Dutch's spleen is very "reactive", and is sure that some acupuncture treatments would help him with the overheating, and would stop the excessive shedding.
Just an idea .... and if anyone's interested, here's a story about Doc Anders.

Doc Anders

Hope everything turns out for the best for this doggie and his family!

Sharon
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-22-2004, 04:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kittygurl823
My long hair is all over the house, too! I was vacuuming and something was caught in it, and it was all my hair, I know what you mean!
I've had instances where the bathroom drain was CLOGGED because of my hair.

― Rowan

I've been frosted!

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 07-22-2004, 07:06 AM
I Think I Need a Bigger Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by pihlaja
I've had instances where the bathroom drain was CLOGGED because of my hair.
Me too!

~ Jodi ~

Tags
animal lover