Sheltie Puppy Update (and on Seamus) - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-04-2004, 10:48 PM Thread Starter
Suffers From Southern Belle Syndrome

Sheltie Puppy Update (and on Seamus)

Saturday Sami and I decided to go to the breeder's anyway to make our decision on what we would do about Ronan. Well, when we got there, it was very obvious that he was sick. I was petting him and he was very lethargic and you could feel the swollen lymph nodes on his neck. I knew right then that we couldn't take him and that he would be better off in the care of the breeder.

So, we played a bit with his brother and finally decided we would take him home with us.

(And I named him Seamus [SHAY-mus] after the famous Irish poet and Nobel prize winner Seamus Heaney.)

Well! Let's just say Seamus is a card, indeed. Sunday I woke up early and threw my clothes on so I could take him outside to potty. Five minutes later Sami comes outside with Kirby and I said, "Why are you up so early?" Come to find out, Kirby PEED on the floor! This dog is three years old and could hold his bladder all day if he wanted to! He didn't even lift his leg, he squatted on the floor like a little puppy. Apparently this is something common in Samoyeds when a new puppy arrives--Kirby's breeder says that every time a new litter is born, her dogs start peeing in the house again!

And I also learned this about Seamus--he gives NO warning before he uses the bathroom. And by that I don't mean scratching on the door or such--I don't expect that from a little puppy--but I mean sniffing around on the floor or turning in a circle or two like most puppies do before they potty. No, not him. He just stops and GOES. And you cannot even tell he is peeing until it is too late and the mess is there. It has been a long time since I have had a puppy, but I remember all the puppies I ever had warning you before they pee and doing something to show they are peeing, like squatting a bit or lifting their tail. Seamus is still for two seconds and that's it--but this isn't a good indicator because he gets still a lot before bouncing away.

Sunday Kirby also decided he was going to throw up on the floor. Twice. Don't know why--he isn't sick--he just ate and then came ONTO the rug to throw it all up. Maybe he was trying to feed Seamus.

Another thing about Seamus that we found out is that he likes to have a clean bottom. After pooing somewhere (usually ON THE RUG), he will WIPE HIS HINEY ON THE RUG! I wouldn't believe it if I didn't see it twice. And it's not the kind of butt drag that dogs with an itchy hiney do, it's a horizontal shake-shake and then he goes back to whatever he was doing.

He is certainly something else. I thought I was going to JUST crate train him, but apparently now it will have to be a combination of crate and paper training. If I am lucky enough to see that Seamus is about to poo, I will scoop him up, run out of the apartment and down the stairs to the "poo place," as I call it, but by the time I get there, he doesn't want to go anymore and just romps around in the grass. Yesterday we were out there for an hour and a half because I wanted him to poo outside and he wouldn't do it. But the second he got inside, he pooed.

Well, I certainly have my hands full with this one.

Will try to take pictures of the little devil soon--our camera needs new batteries.

― Rowan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I've been frosted!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-04-2004, 10:52 PM
Misses Her Smilie Titles

That is too funny! I know it's really tough teching a puppy how to behave. He'll learn eventually. Keep that in mind during these tough weeks! Good luck training Seamus, and Kirby!
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-05-2004, 01:16 AM
Next Member of the Booger Clan

Puppies can be difficult... but they're so darn cute they make up for it!

Congrats on getting Seamus!!!

Good luck with Seamus and Kirby!!! Eagerly awaiting the pics!

I don't suffer from insanity. I enjoy every minute of it.

~Nikki and Sandy~

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-05-2004, 03:57 AM
Wacky Chimpnose

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by pihlaja

Another thing about Seamus that we found out is that he likes to have a clean bottom. After pooing somewhere (usually ON THE RUG), he will WIPE HIS HINEY ON THE RUG! I wouldn't believe it if I didn't see it twice. And it's not the kind of butt drag that dogs with an itchy hiney do, it's a horizontal shake-shake and then he goes back to whatever he was doing.

that has to be one of the funniest things i've heard in a long time. i'm so sorry though. i totally understand where you are coming from. my dogs are over 1.5 yrs old and weren't potty trained until about a month ago when i moved to a house and got a doggy door. so i understand!!
hurry with those pics! congrats!

btw - is the breeder going to keep the other pup and care for him?

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-05-2004, 04:41 AM Thread Starter
Suffers From Southern Belle Syndrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by formula86
btw - is the breeder going to keep the other pup and care for him?
Yes. She's going to keep him until the disease is completely gone and maybe find a good home for him or maybe keep him herself. She hasn't decided that yet, but he will be staying with her for a while.

― Rowan

I've been frosted!

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-05-2004, 06:22 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

pihlaja Congrats on your new pup! And have fun with the potty training! My Lacey was practically trained when we got her probably because she was in a cage at a shelter for a month. Mandy on the other hand,well we nicknamed her pee baby for awhile,ha ha, if ya get the picture. She was much more difficult to potty train.And for several months she refused to poop outside she wanted to go on the basement floor. Must have been something in her life before we got her that she wanted to poop on concrete.But she finally came around. Again,good luck and remember your sense of humor

Tags
potty train, potty trained, potty training