Photos! Sheltie Questions (fat help) - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-28-2008, 12:04 PM Thread Starter
Hello Earthling

Sheltie Questions (fat help)

Ok well as some of you might know Kibbles is a little bit...umm...lets just say he's plump.

So well he needs to loss a bunch of weight and I was just curious as to what the other sheltie owners are feeding and how much, but still keep his coat nice and shiny.

I take him out for walks as much as I can but sometimes I get distracted and forget,usually he gets 1 nice long walk/run (I don't walk him on leash usually...I know bad Kayla bad) and then we have a pretty big backyard that he runs around with Kiwi.The only thing is he gets sore joints so he's taking glucoisamine and cordrin (sp)

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-28-2008, 12:07 PM Thread Starter
Hello Earthling

Ok its Glucosamine & Chondroitin that he's taking. And their eating Nature's Recipe Venison Meal & Rice Canine. I'm not sure how much because someone (aka my dad) just pours the food to the top of the bowl when I keep telling him not to.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-28-2008, 12:53 PM
Zippy Chickenshorts

You can get some food from the vet that will not be as fattening, but other than that I cant think of anything else, sorry hun. ... And I thought kibbles was a collie LOL luv ya xxx

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pipi my hamster
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

RIP Arthur 10/04/08-22/11/09
RIP Pepper 13/01/08-15/03/10
RIP Husky 10/04/09-20/03/10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-28-2008, 04:34 PM
Leo

1. How do you feed your dogs?
Do you free feed your dogs (food available all the time)
Do they share a bowl or are they fed separate?

2. Have your parents (or you) asked the vet how they recommend your dog loose weight? Does he have a target weight to get to in a set amount of time and how much does he need to loose?

3. Do you walk him or give him exercise every day or just once a week or so?

4. How long have you been feeding him his current food? Years, Months, Weeks ?

5. Is he neutered and if so how old was he when he was altered?

6. How old is he and how long has his weight been an issue?

7. Do you give your dogs treats on a daily basis?

I would be more than happy to share what we did with our dog to help him loose quite a bit of weight once those questions are answered.

P.S. The food you are feeding is probably NOT the issue with his weight.
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-28-2008, 04:43 PM Thread Starter
Hello Earthling

1. How do you feed your dogs?
Do you free feed your dogs (food available all the time)
Do they share a bowl or are they fed separate?
Yes, we free feed them other wise Kiwi won't eat and they do share the same bowl.
2. Have your parents (or you) asked the vet how they recommend your dog loose weight? Does he have a target weight to get to in a set amount of time and how much does he need to loose?
Ummm..I think we have do I wasn't really able to pay attention.He is actually quite over weight so we want him to trim down to a normal sheltie weight.I would say he needs to loose a good 10 pounds a bit and his fat pad as the vet called them.

3. Do you walk him or give him exercise every day or just once a week or so?
I try and get him out everyday but he goes out more than once a week plus he like to run around outside in the backyard.He seems to have gain weight during to summer because we haven't get him out as much due to really bad weather.

4. How long have you been feeding him his current food? Years, Months, Weeks ?
We've been feeding him his current food for a couple of months now.

5. Is he neutered and if so how old was he when he was altered?
Yes he he fixed.I think he was about 6 months.

6. How old is he and how long has his weight been an issue?
He's 5 years old and his weight has been an issue for a while at least 3 years.We just haven't been able to kick this weight issue in the butt.
7. Do you give your dogs treats on a daily basis?
No.They get a treats but not every day and we limit him to only a few healthy treats.

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-28-2008, 05:20 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

My dogs like to eat out of the same bowl too. I kind of free feed, but they get a certain amount. I give them 1 cup in the morning and 1 cup in the evening. In the morning they don't eat all of it at once for some reason. Then in the evening they seem to eat all the food up. It's weird! My parents dogs gobble up their food. Mine share nicely *lol*.

You should start measuring how much food you are giving him. He's probably getting too much food. I've found that if I want my dogs to eat their food when I give it to them, I have to sit with them while they eat. They get too excited and curious about what I'm doing if I leave them while they're eating.

--------------------
~Marcia

--------------------------

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-28-2008, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
Hello Earthling

Ok well heres some pictures to try and show up his plumpness. He's also a bit tall when you compare his side by side to other shelties although most seem to be females.

I'll try and take some measurements later to give you more of an idea to his size.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-28-2008, 10:41 PM
Leo

I would recommend you stop free feeding NOW, your other dog will get used to eating just when it is dinner time (it might take a couple of days, but she will get used to it, it will be a training issue with her, but she will eventually learn she has x amount of time to eat and thats it). Free feeding is BAD for dogs with weight issues, and is actually the cause of a lot of dogs (and cats) being overweight. I don't know of many vets who support free feeding.. ask your vet their opinions on free feeding and if they think this is contributing to the weight issue.

They need to be fed in separate bowls and in separate areas. Do you crate your dogs? I crate Leo (Pomeranian) when we go away and he is fed in his crate. Gunner & Leo get fed at the same time but do not eat out of each others bowls because they are not near each other when being fed. Sharing a bowl is NOT good either, because you can not really judge for sure how much each dog is getting (why one dog is probably fat and the other is normal or small).

Not measuring how much food you are giving is not good, especially if you just changed foods .. if you went from say an IAMS to the Natures Recipe you would have to cut down on the amount you are feeding because natures recipe is likely richer in protein than the Iams would be... usually with a more expensive food you feed less... We have a measuring cup in our dog food containers so we know exactly how much they are being fed.

As far as exercise goes... Everyday I walk my dogs on my property or we let the big one chase us on the ATV but my dogs rarely leave our property for a walk ... My big dog has OCD and runs laps around the tree in his enclosure we figured it out and he runs about one mile around the tree every time he goes outside (he goes out at least 3 times a day).

Based on the variables you have given I would:
1. STOP FREE FEEDING
2. Feed separate and in individual bowls
3. Measure how much food each dog is being given
4. Daily exercise

Make sure you consult your vet to see what type of a plan they think would work best for your individual dog. We did do a few other things that were custom tailored to our dogs specific needs.. but the big one was monitoring exactly how much he was eating.

He can loose the weight... it is in your control (Unless your dog knows how to open the pantry or refrigerator). Good luck!!! !
post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 08-29-2008, 07:42 AM Thread Starter
Hello Earthling

I would recommend you stop free feeding NOW, your other dog will get used to eating just when it is dinner time (it might take a couple of days, but she will get used to it, it will be a training issue with her, but she will eventually learn she has x amount of time to eat and thats it). Free feeding is BAD for dogs with weight issues, and is actually the cause of a lot of dogs (and cats) being overweight. I don't know of many vets who support free feeding.. ask your vet their opinions on free feeding and if they think this is contributing to the weight issue.
OK. I will inform my father to stop letting them have food all the time.

They need to be fed in separate bowls and in separate areas. Do you crate your dogs? I crate Leo (Pomeranian) when we go away and he is fed in his crate. Gunner & Leo get fed at the same time but do not eat out of each others bowls because they are not near each other when being fed. Sharing a bowl is NOT good either, because you can not really judge for sure how much each dog is getting (why one dog is probably fat and the other is normal or small).
I'll have to go out to get new bowls.We don't crate them when were gone or at night they have free roam of the house.

Not measuring how much food you are giving is not good, especially if you just changed foods .. if you went from say an IAMS to the Natures Recipe you would have to cut down on the amount you are feeding because natures recipe is likely richer in protein than the Iams would be... usually with a more expensive food you feed less... We have a measuring cup in our dog food containers so we know exactly how much they are being fed.
OK.He's never eaten IMAS though.Who say like 3/4 of a cup be good but divide it so he can have some in morning and night or 3/4 cup morning and night?

As far as exercise goes... Everyday I walk my dogs on my property or we let the big one chase us on the ATV but my dogs rarely leave our property for a walk ... My big dog has OCD and runs laps around the tree in his enclosure we figured it out and he runs about one mile around the tree every time he goes outside (he goes out at least 3 times a day).

Based on the variables you have given I would:
1. STOP FREE FEEDING
2. Feed separate and in individual bowls
3. Measure how much food each dog is being given
4. Daily exercise

Make sure you consult your vet to see what type of a plan they think would work best for your individual dog. We did do a few other things that were custom tailored to our dogs specific needs.. but the big one was monitoring exactly how much he was eating.

He can loose the weight... it is in your control (Unless your dog knows how to open the pantry or refrigerator). Good luck!!! !

Tags
kibbles, sheltie, shelties, shetland sheep dog