Shepherds & Malinois' - Page 2 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-03-2006, 02:38 AM
Dinky Corsetkisser

I grew up in apartments and had 3 large dogs, as long as we walked them plenty and took them to dog runs and such it worked

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-03-2006, 02:39 AM
Dinky Corsetkisser

Skycat I have to add your dog is gorgeous

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #18 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-03-2006, 05:42 AM Thread Starter

Okay so a Malinois might be more like a Border Collie in the attention and mental occupation it needs. They need to be busy a lot to keep them mentally healthy and happy? They sound like they'd really make a great pet if you are really into some of those dog compititions and trainings (I don't know all the names but I know the agility one).

I've always been interested in trying some of those training classes with Loki. I know he'd love it and it would be good for both us (since I know there are few things he needs to learn and I just can't quite wrap my mind around how to teach him). But most of it just looks like a lot of fun!

Oh and Skycat your dog is a real beauty and I can see from the pictures full of energy to go go go, do do do hehehe

Loki and I usually get 3 times a day (unless he tells me he needs more) and we do a variety of things. We go for walks, explore, play in the park with sticks/balls other toys or just run around chasing each other. If something is scary to him then I check it out and show him it's not so bad and then comes over and checks it out and within a few minutes its gone from being scary to interesting hehehe

So it seems most breeds (large or small) are fine with apartment life as long their level of need for activity is met.

As for running all around the house, we already have that with Loki since we run around with him LOL. He loves it when we crawl around on the floor on hands and knees and hide behind doors or the couch and he comes bouncing along looking for us and then we play this dancing game of him pouncing down to the ground and barking and us jumping up blah blah blah, its cute and funny to watch but probably not so interesting when I am trying to explain it LOL

I would definitely try out those activities like agility (and all the others I can't think of their names X_x) with Loki before I ever considered a Malinois. Just to make sure I really liked doing them a lot. I haven't tried so I have no clue what I think but if I like them a lot then a Malinois could still be considered as a pet. I am teaching Loki to pick things up for me around the house. I'll randomly drop something and ask him to hand it to me or sometimes it is just laying there and I ask for it. He's still learning but he's quite eagar (anything for cookies LOL)

Bad weather has never stopped me from getting out with Loki, rain or shine we are out playing. We've both come in a couple of time soaking wet and both had to shower to clean off LOL I'm just a big kid when it comes to that LOL

Thanks so much everyone for your help! I love hearing about your dogs and your thoughts and I love that I can ask the simplest question and everyone seems happy that I do! Thanks so much!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-03-2006, 01:18 PM

Thanks guys, Sherpa has really bloomed into a beautiful fun dog. He still has his moments when he thinks he knows better than I do, but I couldn't immagine life without him anymore.

Here is the cutest picture I have of a rare quiet moment with my two.

post #20 of 20 (permalink) Old 02-03-2006, 02:15 PM
PT's Troll Hunter

Thumbs up

Oh I love that pic!

And about the Borzoi, yep, they are big lazy dogs... Same a Great Dane, which I would've gotten when I lived in the apartment still but I couldn't find any.... so... Enter Dakota!

Tags
border collie, breed dogs, crate trained, crate training, german shepherd, hip dysplasia, lab mix, local shelter, yellow lab, yellow lab mix