Shih Tzu - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-10-2004, 02:54 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Shih Tzu

Hi,
I am thinking of getting a shih-tzu puppy. I am a vet tech of 18 years so pretty much know what health problems they may or may not come with. What I'd like is some feed back from those who have one, or have had one in the past. Pros, and Cons are welcome. I have always had large dogs. I really want a lap dog. If you have any suggestions please feel free to email me, or post here. Thanks, Denise

Any advise given by me is to the best of my knowledge and is not meant to replace veterinary care. If your pet is ill please take him to the vet ASAP. Don't waste your pets valuable time on the internet.
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-10-2004, 03:41 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Hi Denise- I can't give you any breed specific advice, but I can tell you I have always had large breeds too. Right now I have a Golden Retriever and a Brittany. I've always wanted a small lap dog of my very own and after lots of research and soul searching I just got a Yorkie puppy.
I've had her since Christmas Eve and I have to say - I love my boys so, so much - but I had no idea how quickly I would fall head over heels for this little girl! She is SO much fun! I have never had such an affectionate, tiny, adorable velcro puppy. I just love the way she seems to love and need me!

I've had to make a few adjustments from the normal way I train - but I am loving every minute of this! Right now she is curled up on a blanket in my lap -her favorite place

Good luck!! It sounds like you are making the same decision I just did - a little lap buddy - it is quite a change from raising larger breeds!

[center]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

[
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-10-2004, 04:06 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Thanks Linda. That is exactly what I wanted to hear. I was a pet sitter for about 12 years in FL. I kept them in my home with no cages. I remember how sweet it was to have the little ones in my lap. Now I'll have one of my own. My biggest concern is my boogeyman is 12. Ironically I call him my velcro cat. I hope he won't be too jealous when there is another in my lap. I'll have to share my lap I guess. Maybe I should forget the diet I started and let my lap get bigger. lol....... Just kidding. I know the boog will get along since he was around when I had all the other pets visiting. Thanks again. We're going to go look at a litter in just a few minutes. We bought a brand new couch today so decided we may as well get a puppy too. ROFLMAO........... May as well mix some new hair on it. This is the first new couch I've ever bought. It was quite a big deal. We shopped for about 5 hours and ended up buying one from the first store we visited. Ciao, Denise
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-10-2004, 04:19 PM
I Wish I Were a Snot Ball Shooter

Hi Denise ... I've never had a shih-tzu, but we breed them where I work. I just love them ! Some good news is : They're non-shedding !
The only "cons" I can think of are the grooming requirements, and the eyes. A lot of discharge, staining, wrinkles getting sore, etc. Not real hard to take care of, but you should see some of the ones that come in to get groomed. Ugh.
I think they're the sweetest little things, and if I had a chance to have one - I wouldn't think twice.

Sharon
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-10-2004, 04:31 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Wow thanks Sharon. Great answer. Having had Persians all my life the eye cleaning is routine around here. As for the grooming; I can do that myself. I like to see them in a puppy cut. I don't want one in full coat. In fact I used to have a few clients at the clinic where I worked that always wanted me to trim the hair around the face because they didn't like the look when the groomer shaves the nose. I'm getting more, and more exited with each response. There are 3 ads in the paper but no one seems to be home. Time to go call again. Do you live anywhere close to Savannah GA? Denise

Any advise given by me is to the best of my knowledge and is not meant to replace veterinary care. If your pet is ill please take him to the vet ASAP. Don't waste your pets valuable time on the internet.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-10-2004, 05:41 PM
User Is No Longer Welcome

I have a few shih tzu's right now and love them. They do require a bit of grooming and their eyes do need a good wiping 2-3 times a day. I absolutly love the puppy cut also. Too bad I show them, so I can't keep them in that.... Good luck with your search, you'll love whatever pup you get
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-10-2004, 06:47 PM
I Just Need One!

For honest pros and cons check out www.yourpurebredpuppy.com I reffered to it a lot while breed searching. Good luck!

Liana, Mickey, Sky & Rocket

post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-10-2004, 07:40 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

Thanx for that site primabella..I'm going to do some more extensive research when I get home from work later! It was just the site I was looking for to help me out with my searching!

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-10-2004, 07:43 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

I did it

Thanks for all the responses. I went to look at this puppy and simply fell in love. She has an under bite. But so do most Shih-tzu's so what the heck. It's not a bad one at all. Here is a picture of her. She is 11 weeks old. She is what is called an Imperial so she isn't supposed to get bigger than 7-8 pounds. I love her already. She's in my lap right now. I was trying to play the "cool" person......... Apparently my husband can read me well because after I took her to potty he was writing the check. We will see the vet on Monday. As long as there are no congenital defects she is mine for life. Otherwise I can return her. I sure hope she checks out. She's already met my 100 pound shepherd and loves him, as well as the boogeyman (the Persian cat) She is making herself at home. Seriously as I type this she is content to sit in my lap. She's had a meal,and gone potty. I think we are a match for sure. Here are her pics.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Neo new puppy.jpg (44.0 KB, 18 views)
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-10-2004, 07:45 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

OMG she is soooo cute!!!!! What's her name or have you thought of one yet? I love her color! She is just such a cutie!

*Brandy*

|
|
|

post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-10-2004, 07:56 PM
I Think I Need a Bigger Bear

She is adorable!
What a pretty little fluffball!!!

~ Jodi ~

post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-10-2004, 08:02 PM
I Wish I Were a Snot Ball Shooter

Awww - she's a doll-baby ! Such a pretty face. Is she turning brown, or does she look like she'll stay black ??
They're the best little dogs for cuddling, aren't they ? Like little rag-dolls.

Sharon
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-10-2004, 08:19 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

I am calling her Neo right now. Who knows what her name will be in a week or so. I have not a clue why I called her Neo to tell you the truth. We were on our way to see her and I said to my hubby........... Can I call her Neo? It's either that or Scout for now. But like I said I usually spend a few weeks with them and let their personalities come out before choosing a name. The boogeyman was born into my hands and I didn't name him until he was about 6 weeks old. It just came to me one day. I kept coming home to things messed up. One day I came home and said "O.K. sure the Boogeyman did it" That was it.......... he has been the boogeyman ever since. While we are talking about the boog; here is a pic of him. He's 12 years old and my heart and soul. He's not too darn happy right now since his lap spot is taken. My husband just brought in my 100 white shep who is now at me feet moaning because he wants to play with the puppy. I've had him all of his life and he is soooo gentle with babies. When I finish this post I will let them play. They met outside a bit ago. Again....... Thanks for all the responses........... Denise
Attached Images
File Type: jpg The boogey man.jpg (24.9 KB, 9 views)

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-11-2004, 10:07 AM
Formerly Known as Masterjack

Neo is absolutely adorable!

I've Been Frosted!
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-13-2004, 07:57 PM
And here I am again, showing my butt!

I realize this thread is pretty old, but I'm thinking very seriously of getting a Shih Tzu myself but I can't find any breeders in my area!!!

I found two on the 'net, but they are both "out of business." Anybody have any ideas on how I could find a really reputable breeder close to the Charlotte/Rock Hill, SC area??

Tags
golden retriever, lap dog, reputable breeder, shih tzu, vet tech