shots - Page 2 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-04-2005, 09:35 AM Thread Starter

OH my bad....

I guess I did come to the wrong place. So sorry... I guess I need to go to one of those dog miller's site. I'm sure they willing to share their knowledge since obviously they can't take all their dogs to the vet. I'm sure they do some of these things themselves. Cya Paw-talk... it was nice while it lasted.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-04-2005, 10:14 AM
PT's Troll Hunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by yorkie4me
I guess the answer is a NO then. Although I thank you all for your warnings and advice, I yet to see anyone really answer my original questions. I'm assuming that yall don't know how then.... thank you anyways.
Well yeah thats probably true, because we aren't trained or experienced in that field, except those of us who ARE vets (and yes some have replied in this thread). Wouldn't it be best to then listen to the words of a Vet themselves then??

Quote:
And yes I do understand your points pertaining to this subject. But that will not deter me from trying to research and learning how to do those things myself. Do yall always take your car to the mechanic everytime something is wrong?? Why not find out what is wrong and learn to fix it yourself? In anycase I do love my pets and would have their best interest in mind and would not want to hurt them.
I can not help but tell you how much I feel that this statement contradicts itself. As Jane (formula86) said, you're car isn't a living thing, and can easily be replaced. An animal is a living thing, and can not. There will never be that same animal again if something should go wrong. And along with what Jane also said, a vet comes with all the necessary equipment and knowledge, and in this case, most importantly a sterile environment. SHOULD you continue to decide that you will not heed the advice and warnings you are being given and you go ahead and do vaccinations and shots yourself, remember that you DON'T have the proper training and something COULD go WRONG, and I surely HOPE you don't plan on performing surgeries and other procedures yourself, you'd have a hefty bill to pay the vet off for fixing what you could've prevented. It will probably be more of a cost to you than the original vaccinations would have been. In other words, you might be losing money.

Also you can look at it this way, you are "practicing without a liscence", something that human doctors in this country get arrested and fined and jail time for. You have to ask yourself why the government has this law, and then ask yourself, if you really care about the well being of your animals, if you think the same should apply to ALL living things.

Quote:
I believe I can learn to do those things just like a vet learn from his teacher. We all have to start somewhere.
GREAT!! Then you're a wonderful canidate for Vet School! Go through the college (and trust me, you hardly have to pay a thing if you can't afford it, because the government gives you grants which you don't have to pay back, and loans which you can pay back after you're always working and getting the great pay) and then you can give shots to any of my animals since you are then QUALIFIED.

Quote:
I'm sure somebody online will have the knowledge to share with me.
Actually, this is very very false. The internet is RARELY a safe place, and this is constantly plastered all over the news. The only exception in my honest opinion is Paw-Talk. So PLEASE take everyone's suggestions WHOLE HEARTEDLY.

Quote:
I think the reason why yall are taking the route of a vet is because you just can't see yourself doing those things yourself. Believe me its not major surgery giving shots. And for docking tails, back in my country we just used rubber ban tie them on the tail and it eventually fall off, but that takes too long. I was hoping to find new and better ways to do this. At 2 days old the tail is just cartilage. Its not the same as chopping off an adult dog's tail.
Again, you are right its not major surgery. But it can lead to it if not done properly so why not go the extra inch or two and pay the VET to do it. And many of us know that docking a puppies tail is not the same as docking of the bone of an adult dogs tail. But again, you are not the experienced one and I have to go to say that I wouldn't buy a puppy from you.

Okay I've said what I wanted to say...
Stepping off my .

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #18 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-04-2005, 10:15 AM
PT's Troll Hunter

Angry

Quote:
OH my bad....

I guess I did come to the wrong place. So sorry... I guess I need to go to one of those dog miller's site. I'm sure they willing to share their knowledge since obviously they can't take all their dogs to the vet. I'm sure they do some of these things themselves. Cya Paw-talk... it was nice while it lasted.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-04-2005, 10:50 AM

Quote:
OH my bad....

I'm sorry you feel this way, but if running away because people don't agree with you is the choice you want to make we can't stop you.

I am sure there are breeders that do these things themselves. However, that is not the kind of breeder I want to purchse from. If I am going to lay down a grand or more on a dog (and I have), then I want to know that a vet has seen the puppy and administered its vaccines.

Complications are a plenty with vaccines of any sort. For example. Most breeds should not get the lepto vaccine until they are past 12 weeks of age, some breeds should never get it at all. Speaking from experience, since i had a cocker dang near die on me from a vaccine reaction, using the vet is the best way to go IMO. Yes, its more costly, and that means less money in your pocket. But, good breeders seldom turn a profit.
post #20 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-04-2005, 11:47 AM Thread Starter

thanks yall once again...
i'm not running away per say.. i'm just trying to search for more sites that I can learn from. And yes I know all too well about laws concerning mal practice and working without a license. That is why I pay thousands of dollar each year for mal practice insurance. And also jail time.. it isn't a thing to me. I've been in jail many times for much more serious offenses. Like I said, i'm only here to learn, not to cause any drama here..

thanks again yall.
post #21 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-04-2005, 11:50 AM Thread Starter

and VEt school..hehehehe interesting but not for me.. after 4 years of undergraduate and 3 years of chiropractic school.. i don't think i can stand school anymore...heheheheh
post #22 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-04-2005, 08:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisanne
If I am going to lay down a grand or more on a dog (and I have), then I want to know that a vet has seen the puppy
I normally stay out of debates and arguments, but I did want to ditto this part. I recently paid $1000 for a puppy, and the ONLY reason that I was willing to pay that much was because I knew that he had been seen by all 3 vets at a particular veterinary practice AND he came with a free vet visit within 2-3 days of purchase so I could take him in myself and verify that he had been there and everything was okay.

If you were selling $100 dogs, you might be able to get away with doing things yourself (though I personally wouldn't recommend it because you never know when something might go wrong with the dog's health), but I just can't see very many people spending $1000 or $2000 on a dog that has never seen a vet. Is it really worth it to try and save money on vet visits if not taking them is going to cost you sales? (and no, that isn't meant to be sarcastic. I really do mean it as something to think about. $1000 is alot of money, and most people want proof that a dog is in good health before they spend that much.) Taking them to the vet is better for you, because you can tell your customers that the animals have been vet checked and are healthy, and it's better for the dogs because it means that they have seen a vet, 'cause you never know when something will go wrong and someone will get sick.

I honestly don't mean to pick you. Just giving you more to think about before you make your final decision. I'll butt out now and go back to being my normal quiet self.

Tags
puppy mill, vet visit, vet visits