shots - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-01-2005, 07:45 AM Thread Starter

shots

I'm trying to learn how to properly give shots to my puppies. If you are giving your puppies their shots yourself, please tell me your techniques. I watched my vet do it once but he did it so fast that I can't really see what happened. Do you go into the "meat" or do you just shoot it subcutaneously (between the skin and meat)?? What is your needle size? And where do you give it? On the buttock or right behind the neck?

Also if you dock your dogs tail, please describe what technique you use. Do you just use rubber band to tie the tail and wait for it to fall off? Or do you use a razor and cut it off? I was told that you can even use a dr. clip to clip the tail tight and then twist the distal end of the tail off. thank you in advance.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-01-2005, 10:30 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I hope I'm preaching to the choir, but please be careful giving home vaccines. We just had an 8 month old rottie come in with full blown parvo. The owner had given her vaccines at home, which she bought over the counter. Often times these aren't refrigerated properly, which makes the vaccines ineffective or less effective. Study up on how they need to be stored, when they expire, how they're given, why they're given, and most importantly - get yours from a TRUSTED source. Those are lives you have in your hands.

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-01-2005, 10:55 AM

I have to agree with Jade. Please please please be careful if you choose to do it this way.

My recomendation truthfully is just take them to the vet. That way you are assured they are good.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-01-2005, 10:59 AM Thread Starter

I order my stuff directly from Revivalanimal.com they have everything you ever needed and their customer service is excellent. Reason why I want to learn to give shots myself is that I thought it was a common practice as I see all of the breeders that I bought my pups from give shots themselves. So if they can do it, I think I can do it also. I'm no dummy right??? and about Parvo, I did my research and Parvo doesn't usually affect puppies this young. I took my 5 week old to the vet and he ran some test on him. He recommend doing a Parvo test also, even though I know that its not necessary as my pup is too young to get Parvo, I agreed to it anyways to prove my point at the cost of $38 to run that test.
post #5 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-01-2005, 11:38 AM

Parvo actually hits puppies right about 6 weeks of age.
post #6 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-01-2005, 02:07 PM Thread Starter

if Parvo are pass via mesquitos and if the pups never go outside... how can the pups get it???
post #7 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-01-2005, 05:19 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Parvo is NOT passed via mosquitoes. Parvo is passed via the fecal oral route. It's basically best to assume it's everywhere, as it can live in the ground up to a year. If you walk through a park or someone's yard and a dog who was shedding Parvo pooped there, you get it on your shoe. You then bring that into your home, and therefore expose your puppies. If they walk on the same floor and then lick their paws or something else in contact with it, they can get the virus.

On the mosquito part, mosquitoes do carry heartworms. A dog who never goes outside can still get heartworms. I know I've had a mosquito get in my house when I opened a door/window before. If that mosquito carries heartworm and bites your dog, it's possible for them to get the disease.

Stephanie

post #8 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-01-2005, 05:55 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

I have never heard of giving home shots. I would always go to the vet. I would also certainly not feel comfortable docking their tails as you do not seem to have a firm grasp of it. Why not leave them? If you insist on doing it have someone with you to show you and have them watch you do it. Telling and showing are completely different. You don't want to mutilate the dogs further by screwing up.

Owned by 26 chins, 7 cats, 2 dogs, and 7 aquariums

Come drop by!

post #9 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-01-2005, 06:49 PM

Also, I think that rabies shot have to be given by a vet, cause you need a certificate with a stamp from the veterinary association. If you don't have that, and your dog bites someone, you and your dog will be in trouble even if you gave it the shot, cause you don't have way to prove it.
post #10 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-01-2005, 06:59 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Rabies is not commercially available to the public for the reasons you mentioned, Padfoot. Thanks for adding that.

Stephanie

post #11 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-01-2005, 07:18 PM
Poo dont scare me!!!

I just have to say that I agree with the wisdom that everyone has shared here...and I agree that going to the vet and having professionals give shots/dock tails...anything in medical categories...should be handled by a veterinarian.

post #12 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-01-2005, 08:54 PM
Wacky Chimpnose

when i got my yorkie from a breeder, all of her shots and her tail docking were done by QUALIFIED VETS. i would never imagine getting this stuff done by a breeder, no matter how much they know. the only thing that i've let a rescue person do is microchip. and i had to or i couldn't get chaquita.

if you are breeding, you should know how easy it is to mess all this up. please please...i urge you to seek a vet.

post #13 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-04-2005, 08:04 AM Thread Starter

I guess the answer is a NO then. Although I thank you all for your warnings and advice, I yet to see anyone really answer my original questions. I'm assuming that yall don't know how then.... thank you anyways.

And yes I do understand your points pertaining to this subject. But that will not deter me from trying to research and learning how to do those things myself. Do yall always take your car to the mechanic everytime something is wrong?? Why not find out what is wrong and learn to fix it yourself? In anycase I do love my pets and would have their best interest in mind and would not want to hurt them. I believe I can learn to do those things just like a vet learn from his teacher. We all have to start somewhere. I'm sure somebody online will have the knowledge to share with me. I think the reason why yall are taking the route of a vet is because you just can't see yourself doing those things yourself. Believe me its not major surgery giving shots. And for docking tails, back in my country we just used rubber ban tie them on the tail and it eventually fall off, but that takes too long. I was hoping to find new and better ways to do this. At 2 days old the tail is just cartilage. Its not the same as chopping off an adult dog's tail.
post #14 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-04-2005, 08:09 AM Thread Starter

Yes you all are correct. RAbies is the only thing that I cannot do myself. Other than that, I can get all of my supply of shots and other necessities from revivalanimal.com For Rabies I have to go to the vet, you are correct on this one.
post #15 of 22 (permalink) Old 04-04-2005, 08:17 AM
Wacky Chimpnose

you cannot compare a car to an animal. the reason you cannot compare a car to an animal is because an animal is a living, breathing thing. who cares if you mess up your car? but if you mess up with your animal it could result in injury, pain or death.

also - vets don't just have knowledge, they have the equipment and tools to perform docking and shots. they have a sterile environment.

i have heard of people administering micro-chips after being properly educated. now, the difference between that and a shot is that a shot contains a vaccine that is vital for your pet's well-being and life.

as for docking tails - i can't speak for everyone, but i am not at all interested in what they do in your native country. some countries do not have polio vaccines for children. in other words, some countries are behind the times or do not have the resources that we have here in america. putting a rubberband around a dog's tail is seriously dangerous. it can become infected and it is terribly painful for the dog. yorkies are known to be very tough dogs and do not show pain easily (i know- i have one). so even though the dog doesn't cry or whine, it does hurt. you say the tail is just cartiledge so it doesn't matter? well so is the top of your ear. would you put a dirty nail through your ear?

furthermore, i do not believe you will find the kind of support that you are seeking on this website.

Tags
puppy mill, vet visit, vet visits