Siberian Husky HELP!! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-09-2009, 09:51 AM Thread Starter

Siberian Husky HELP!!

I recently got a siberian husky for christmas from my amazing fiance. I love her death and her name is Penelope and shes 7 weeks old. I know its hard to train a siberian husky but I never realized HOW HARD!! I think Im doing everything right she stays in her crate when she cannot be supervised and at night but she hates it she cries and whines and howls for HOURS!!! until she finally wears herself out but she hates it I dont use it for punishment in any way just when I cannot watch her. I giver her water chew toys and her favorite pillow. But she just hates it! I also cannot get her housetrained I take her outside every hour on the hour and I wake up in the middle of the night to take her outside and everything but when she goes outside she will NOT use the bathroom she has never used the bathroom outside she'll be outside for an hour and nothing but the second we go inside she uses the bathroom. Also she keeps getting on the furniture I put her down and say no but she keeps jumping up and when shes on the floor she whines and howls but I dont give in she just doesnt get it!! PLEASE HELP!!!!!!!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-09-2009, 12:16 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Wow, she is a BABY, that's why you are having trouble training her. Pups really should stay with their moms until they are at least 8 weeks old, they learn a lot of social interactions during that period that they don't get from humans. You could be looking at many months of difficult training with her. It sounds like you are doing a lot of things right, but realize that she is very young and it's unreasonable to expect training to work right away all the time.

Maureen

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Six new rats
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-09-2009, 01:17 PM
Fashion Animal Freak :)

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtmaughan View Post
Wow, she is a BABY, that's why you are having trouble training her. Pups really should stay with their moms until they are at least 8 weeks old, they learn a lot of social interactions during that period that they don't get from humans. You could be looking at many months of difficult training with her. It sounds like you are doing a lot of things right, but realize that she is very young and it's unreasonable to expect training to work right away all the time.
Totally agree, pups should stay with their mother for as long as possible, we got my dog at 6weeks as her mum was killing the litter due to stress and she is a small dog and the problems we had were horrible, shes nippy, and has problems leaving or being away from us. And shes 14 years old now, and she has never really gotten over her problems.

Rip Novo, Mummy Loves You x
"To close your eyes will not ease another's pain."
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-09-2009, 03:18 PM
Part of the Pack

She is so young and it will take a while for her to learn your language.

Noah was pretty young when I brought him home. He would cry in the crate at night but as long as he could see us then he was good. So we left the crate in the hall where he was able to see us and Jellybeans sleeping on the floor in the bedroom.

I gave him so many treats in the crate that whenever he heared the treat bag crinkle he ducked into his bed ready for yum yums. He never saw it as a bad place to be. He upgraded big dog bed in the bedroom at about 3.5 months.

Your puppy is also so young that maybe for a week you might want to consider taking him to bed with you. Puppy breath is awesome and the time together will help you bond. Slowly move her out as her comfort level with the enviroment improves.

As for potty training.... praise and treat her outside when she does go and be stupid excited over it. Also, decide what you are going to use for a verbal correction and stick with it. I like ah ah or No way Jose! Seriously, the dog knows that this Jose guy means trouble!!

If you can teach your dog no early on it will make things easier down the line when you are trying to keep her off the couch or stop mouthing you too hard when she is getting her big dog teeth. Noah was part Pihrana for a while.

If you correct the dog be sure to show them what you want instead. Off the coach means I will give you more attention while you are on the floor.

Best of luck to you! Keep us posted with updates!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Zylca; 12-09-2009 at 03:22 PM.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 04:32 PM
Adolescent Pup

How long have you had her? If you got her as a christmas gift and its not quite christmas yet, I would assume it couldn't be too long. A puppy that age is a full time commitment. Expect that it will take a long time. I don't think that it is the siberian breed that is making this difficult either. Any puppy would take a while to train. Just be patient with her and most importantly be consistent. Take her on walks daily as well. I'm not sure what your weather is like but I know its cold here, and regardless it is important to take daily walks. It will teach her that you are in control and will get her used to the leash. Be patient.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 12-15-2009, 09:02 PM
RAT ADDICT

I agree with the others...your little pup is a BABY.

She is young,misses her siblings and mother (puppies should not leave their mom's any earlier then 8 weeks and 12 weeks is better and reputable breeders will not let the pups go so under 8-12 weeks) and doesn't know what is right or wrong yet.

But don't be discouraged.Puppies take alot of patience and time and you are going to have some accidents,this is all normal with a puppy.Crate training and house training will take time and do not happen overnight.Puppies cannot hold their bladders for long periods of time and when they gotta go,they gotta go.

So what you should do is take the puppy out as soon as she wakes up,after a play session and after she eats/drinks and even in between that if she is sniffing around.When she does her buisness outside,praise her and you can give her a treat too...but praise often works well on it's own.

DO NOT rub her nose in her business at all,this can lead to submissive and aggressive behaviors and does not teach her anything.Also do not scold her if you find a mess,but didn't catch her in the act...because she won't understand what she has done wrong.

As for crate training,leave the crate where she can see you.Make the crate time a happy time (do not use it as punishment).Give her toys and treats (you mentioned you are doing this,so thats good).Also when she starts crying/whining,do not give her any attention...negative or positive,because she will realize that when she makes a fuss,she gets attention and ANY attention is attention,whether negative or positive.

Do not give up.You will have some sleepless nights and some frustrations,but this is the joy of puppyhood! Good luck!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *

Tags
crate training, housebreaking, siberian husky