Sick chihuahua - opinions needed - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-16-2007, 06:20 AM Thread Starter

Sick chihuahua - opinions needed

Hi guys. I just woke up for school and apparently I slept through quite an ordeal last night. Gidget is my almost 7 month old chihuahua. Before I went to bed, she seemed like she had a bit of diarrhea (but not completely loose) but was acting normal. She sleeps with my parents and I guess they woke up to her throwing up. She had no balance, her head seemed "floppy", she was drooling, and she couldn't even stand up. Her tongue was hanging out and my mom said it looked like she was blind. This was at probably 2 am. Of course, they rushed her right into the emergency vet. She got an injection of metoclopramide and a shot of penicillin. I wasn't there so I don't know exactly what the vet said. But my mom said the vet asked about the possibility of her getting into any pills (which is nil, all our pills are locked up tight), any kind of poison, etc. Earlier in the night, my mom let her lick a spoon after she made shepard's pie (the spoon had a bit of ground beef mixed in french onion soup on it). The vet said that maybe it was too rich for her? Could that really cause these symptoms? Anyway, Gidget is home and looks noticeably sick to me but then again, I didn't see her when she was at her worst. My mom said she looks tons better. She seems lethargic and has a little bit of a balance issue still. She's just sleeping right now; my mom and I stayed home today to keep an eye on her. She hasn't been eating or drinking so the vet said to give syringes of sugar water (we've also been letting her lick a bit of corn syrup off our finger, in case she gets hypoglycemic).

Anyway, the vet is going to call this morning to check on her again. So she is getting veterinary care, I would just like to know your opinions on this. Have any of you seen this before? Any ideas that we haven't explored yet? The idea that she could have gotten this sick from a lick of beef/soup seems a bit extreme but I don't know. She looks so sad, I hope she gets back to normal soon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-16-2007, 06:40 AM Thread Starter

Just wanted to add, the vet just called. We're going to bring her back in this afternoon if she hasn't improved.
post #3 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-16-2007, 07:32 AM
Salamander Burgermuffin

Im so sorry about your little one, i hope she feels better soon!
I read that dogs arent supposed to have onions, but i thought maybe it just gave them an upset stomach.. i wonder if this was from the onion soup stuff? you might directly ask your vet about the onion soup.. poor puppy, give her a lil tummy rub from us!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Furry Family
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-16-2007, 07:34 AM Thread Starter

Thanks Yeah, my mom said she spoke directly about the onion soup and the vet said it's a possibility. But would it really cause that extreme of a reaction? The spoon was empty, it just had a bit of the taste on it and a couple little bits of ground beef. It wasn't actually a spoonful of it.
post #5 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-16-2007, 07:38 AM
Salamander Burgermuffin

I've no idea, but its possible.. onion soup is uaually pretty strong, so i bet just a little lick would prolly have more actual onion in it than say a slice of onion.. plus, i bet Gidget is pretty tiny?

i found this... Onions a little-known threat

it talks about dogs eating onions.. it says it makes them anemic, doesnt really talk about them throwing up, and also says it could take a couple days for them to become anemic, so maybe not whats wrong with gidget?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Furry Family

Last edited by Angelnstuff; 10-16-2007 at 07:47 AM.
post #6 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-16-2007, 07:47 AM Thread Starter

She's small but she's actually pretty solid for a chihuahua (last night they weighed her and she was 6 lbs 3 oz).

She was just up walking around a little bit and her balance seems to be getting a little better. She's back to sleep again now though.
post #7 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-16-2007, 08:27 AM
Rodentologist

I'd guess it was probably the onion soup, too. Gidget is a very small dog, and the powdered onion commonly used in soup is much more concentrated than raw onions.
post #8 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-16-2007, 08:48 AM
Dinky Corsetkisser

the poor sweety...

as you described the symptoms it sounded so much like what happend to my old dog scruffy...she was poisioned with snail bait (evil kids thought it was funny) and she had the same symptoms...only difference was she had a seizure...

I hope she gets better real soon, I will keep her in my thoughts

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

post #9 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-16-2007, 09:15 AM Thread Starter

Thanks. The more I research it, the more I think she might have gotten hemolytic anemia from the onion soup. I'll bring it up when we take her in today. She does seem to be improving though. She got up and mooched for food just now (gave her a little big of egg and she ate it).
post #10 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-16-2007, 10:48 AM Thread Starter

I just talked to my dad (hadn't talked to him since this all happened). He tends to play down problems with the animals (i.e. "oh, she's fine!") but he said he didn't expect her to survive the trip to the vet. I know it must have been terrible if even he says that.

Leaving for the vet now to get her checked out again. I'll bring up hemolytic anemia and see what they think.
post #11 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-16-2007, 11:54 AM
Leo

Awww poor puppy I'll keep her in my prayers for a speedy recovery.

It is possible that it was the onion soup because of the highly concentrated form, and her being so small... it could be a whole lot of other thing as well... I would also have her checked for an obstruction just to be on the safe side.

Keep us updated... good thing your parents woke up for her and were kind enough to take her in to the emergency vet, a lot of people would have waited it out until morning... big time kudos to them for rushing her in.
post #12 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-16-2007, 12:32 PM

Hope she's getting better!
post #13 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-16-2007, 01:05 PM

I agree with most people about it being the onion soup, but it's seems odd that such a minuscule amount would giver THAT much trouble. Did she get into anything when outside for a potty break? or during play time? If she was out of your site even for just a minute she could have. Perhaps ant poisoning, or treated grass? Even eating the wrong bug can give a puppy problems. Anyways, I hope she's feeling better
post #14 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-16-2007, 01:09 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I'm doubtful about the onions due to the small amount. Do you have any mushrooms outside that she could've gotten into? Fall is a prime time for mushrooms, most of which are very toxic to pets.

Stephanie

post #15 of 25 (permalink) Old 10-16-2007, 01:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jade View Post
I'm doubtful about the onions due to the small amount. Do you have any mushrooms outside that she could've gotten into? Fall is a prime time for mushrooms, most of which are very toxic to pets.
thats a good thought. She could have even walked in murky water and licked her paws, there are hundreds of possibilities.

Tags
emergency vet, veterinary care