Sick Dog - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-29-2008, 06:50 PM Thread Starter

Sick Dog

My 9 yo German Shepherd is running a fever and seems to have trouble walking. I was layed off and do not have enough money to take her to the vet. What can I do to reduce the fever? I have some antibiotics - for human use Amoxicillin - can that be given to her? I also have some motrin that I have used in the past - liquid to calm the dogs down, could that be used?

Please answer ASAP. I am going to hock what I can Monday and get her to the vet, but until then I need some advice please!!!

Greg

[email protected] if you have some suggestions...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-30-2008, 03:30 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Have you called a vet and explained your situation? Often they will give advice over the phone. Many vets have payment plans too. It's worth a try.

Be careful giving medicines, since you can't really determine the correct dosage. Antibiotics probably won't help a fever. It really depends on what is causing the fever.

--------------------
~Marcia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

--------------------------

post #3 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-30-2008, 10:17 PM

Someone told me one time when I was in a money crisis to call "Peta". I was skepitcal about that, but I called them and they were able to give me vets names that could possibly work with me. If you can't find anyone yourself, give Peta a call. They may help, but thats only if they are in your area.
I am so sorry about your poor dog and may God Help you find a way to help her.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-31-2008, 06:21 AM Thread Starter

Thank You

thank you both for replying! About calling around - YES - I called every vet around and NONE take payments. I even went so far as to offer a couple of my guns as security - BUT NO TAKERS! I guess vets are now in the same class as human doctors! What a joke they are, just want the money and the **** with the animal!Anyway, I am heading out in an hour to sell what I can to take care of my girl.Thank you again, but since I hunt and fish I think PETA is out of the question.Greg
post #5 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-31-2008, 06:23 AM Thread Starter

Sick Dog

By the way, I gave her 2 ounces Benedryl last night and her fever broke a very short time later! She is much better this morning, but still hurting.Thank you again for the replies.Greg
post #6 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-31-2008, 06:28 AM
Super Moderator

Instead of PETA, what about giving your local animal shelters a call? Sometimes, some of the bigger shelters have their own clinics and they'll often help people out by offering low cost survices, or will take payment plans. If they don't do that, they can probably at least recommend some good, lower cost, vets that you could take her too. Good luck, I hope she's feeling better soon!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #7 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-31-2008, 08:24 AM
Will It Ever Change?

oh i hope doggy gets better soon! my best wishes and prayers for you

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #8 of 23 (permalink) Old 03-31-2008, 12:32 PM

Atleast you are willing to do whatever is neccasary to help her even if that means selling something important to you. It makes me very angry when ppl just say oh well don't have the money too bad! There is always a way. I was also going to suggest calling the local aspca or humane society but if you have already pawned some things I guess that wuld be in vain. Anyway how is she? Please keep us posted!
post #9 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 07:25 AM Thread Starter

Anja - My Sick GSD

Thank you all for your prayers, thoughts and advice. Anja is MUCH better now and yes she is worth every gun I have and more! The vet gave her a shot and now she is her old self! She is one of 4 GSD's I have and YES I would do whatever it takes to make sure they are well. All my GSD's are fantastic animals and being in the situation I am in has made my "friends" give me me advice to "get rid of the dogs" - to me that is not an option! I have a breeding female, with A rated hips from east Germany, Roxanne I purchased for $5,000, I kept her son William Wallace 117 lbs red/black, Anja my oldest GSD and Blaze the GSD I adopted because of abuse. All are wonderful members of my family and if push comes to shove I would sell my Harley to ensure my GSD's are well. Does that sound sick? I don't think so, they are what I CHOSE to be with and my financial situation will change, but I will NEVER be able to replace the love and listening these GDS's have give me. Thank you all again. Greg
post #10 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 07:58 AM
Dinky Corsetkisser

I am so glad she is doing well, a few years ago my aussie broke his leg and we were hurting for money so we to sold what we had to pay for it, you gotta do what you gotta do for your family and I am just so glad you were able to get her to the vet and shes doing well

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

post #11 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 08:42 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I'm so glad to hear it worked out. I hope a job will come your way and the financial stuff will be sorted out. I totally agree with you. I would never give up my pups. Don't let them pressure you.

--------------------
~Marcia

--------------------------

post #12 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 08:45 AM
Super Moderator

I'm glad she's feeling better!

Just to clarify, I wasn't suggesting you to call a shelter to give her up, I was suggesting you call to see if they would take her in their clinic.

Alot of the larger shelters have their own vet clinics that are open to the public, and because they run out of a shelter and can recieve donations, they often have the means to offer owners lower cost treatments, and/or payment plans. My boyfriend lives near the North Shore Animal League, for example, and they have an excellent vet clinic that is open to the public.

post #13 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 09:23 AM

I am so glad she is doing so much better, and I pray that a job comes your way very soon.
post #14 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 01:21 PM

Angry I resent that

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg View Post
I guess vets are now in the same class as human doctors! What a joke they are, just want the money and the **** with the animal!\
As a vet I resent that very much. Do you know how many people i have let "make payments" . Most dont even call back. I havent seen a cent from anybody who want to make payments. I do everything in my poewr to help every animal that comes to me. You do realize that we have to be responsible about or money. Treating animals takes alot of money for us too, And if we do not get paid back it IS a BIG problem. You obviously do not know how hard it is to do what we do. SO dont say we dont give a f*ck about the animals. We obviously do going through all those years of school. Ugh
post #15 of 23 (permalink) Old 04-01-2008, 01:24 PM

Also , glad to hear the dog is doing better I have many german shepherds myself And i hate when they or any other of my animals arent feeling well

Tags
animal shelter, animal shelters, german shepherd, german shepherds, humane society, local animal shelter, vet clinic