Sir bites a lot = Help - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-06-2006, 07:49 PM Thread Starter

Sir bites a lot = Help

Ok....so I adpoted my pup from the pound and I was ready for behaivoral problems that come with any puppy...but this one absolutley refuses to stop biting. Yea....he's already bit to the blood on one hand and I hope to avoid any more pain....or at least blood. Any suggestions??? By the way spanking does not work because he thinks that you are playing with him....
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-06-2006, 10:56 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

I think everyone has this problem with young pups. My trainer suggested making a loud, high pitched yelping noise. The first time I did it to my pup she looked embarrassed and surprised. A few times of yelping and she stopped biting so hard.

Also, after he bites and you yelp, completely ignore him for a few minutes. He'll learn that if he bites then play time is over, he gets no more attention for awhile.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rhonda
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-07-2006, 07:41 AM

I have a lot of training books and the best suggestion I have had is calm assertiveness, you can uptain this many ways...if it is really bad, scruff the dog and pin him til he submits to you....this is what the mother would do so don't think I am cruel. Or you can simply turn your back and walk away, don't say a word, when your dog is preforming an action you don't like. When he sees that you will not play or tolerate the act he will stop. It is no fun if he does not get a reaction. Then when he is calm and behaving well call him to you.

I actually have to disagree with the yelping thing because you are giving a reaction and like with small children if they get a reaction they will continue the behavior.

Good luck

Shannon
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-07-2006, 11:46 AM Thread Starter

Thanks to both of you, but I don't think the yelping thing would work on my pup.....he's....I don't know, especially stubborn maybe? He's not very attached to me yet either, I've had him for a week though.....I guess he's just one of those dogs who need time.

The scruffing thing.....I don't know, I guess I can try it but I'm expecting him to think I'm playing.I've never had a puppy so insistent on biting.....usually when they see it makes me unhappy and that I don't want to play anymore they quit.....but he doesn't seem to care.
post #5 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-07-2006, 10:07 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

Quote:
Originally Posted by petkeeper
I actually have to disagree with the yelping thing because you are giving a reaction and like with small children if they get a reaction they will continue the behavior.
Like my trainer pointed out.....when they are with their litter mates and they bite too hard, the pup being bitten yelps and usually walks away. Therefore they are not actually getting a reaction, they are getting a signal that the biting was too hard and therefore the play time ends.

When I had my deaf pup obviously the yelping wouldn't work. When I tried to scruff her she would think I was playing harder, therefore the biting was harder. The only thing that would work with her was getting her to look me in the face and I would shake my head "NO". Deaf pups usually bite harder (and more often) because they never learned from their litter mates due to not being able to hear the yelps.

Rhonda

post #6 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-08-2006, 02:33 PM

our vet also runs a rescue which is where we got our new dog. he is 6mo old and a border collie so he has the herding instinct and was nipping at us. the vet suggested grabbing him around the muzzle, looking him in the eye and firmly saying NO. it has pretty much eliminated all nipping in just a couple days. i think it is just a matter of establishing dominance.
post #7 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-09-2006, 07:46 PM
RAT ADDICT

Quote:
Originally Posted by sara8
our vet also runs a rescue which is where we got our new dog. he is 6mo old and a border collie so he has the herding instinct and was nipping at us. the vet suggested grabbing him around the muzzle, looking him in the eye and firmly saying NO. it has pretty much eliminated all nipping in just a couple days. i think it is just a matter of establishing dominance.
That is what I usually do with foster puppies who start biting...some people say it doesn't work, but I always found it worked.

As for the yelping...nah, do not really work.I tried it before and the pup will stop for a second, looking confused and then goes right back at it!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #8 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-24-2006, 03:29 PM Thread Starter

So far I have tried...

*Yelping
*Pinning Him to show dominance
*And clamping his mouth shut with a loud no
*and even ignoring him (which he dosn't really care about since he's perfectly fine playing by himself and chewing on my ankle....

But he just thinks I'm playing........I suppose I may just need to be persistant.

He's VERY stubborn dog....unless your home with him when he has to go he won't use his pee pee pad....the biting has gotten steadily worse and I have marks all over my hands where he has bitten me really hard.
post #9 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-26-2006, 05:21 PM
RAT ADDICT

Why not try going to obediance school or something? Maybe they could help??

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #10 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-26-2006, 05:39 PM

Toby was exactly the same way when he was a puppy. He bit me all the time, pulled at my clothes, bit my feet, etc. He was incredibly stubborn and completely impervious to any sort of reprimand. I worked with a trainer, who taught me to put him into a submissive position when he did this. She had me lay Toby on his side with his back to me. I had to make him lay there without moving until he completely submitted.

The first few times I did this with Toby, he fought me for close to 20 minutes before he finally was still. The trainer said she had to do it with one of her dogs (a particularly stubborn pup) for over an hour. Once you start you have to stick with it so they don't get the idea they can win. But they finally give a big sign and go limp. With Toby, if he started biting, I would do the firm "No Biting" and stop playing with him. If he kept up, he'd go into the submissive position until he had calmed down. It seemed to break him of it.
post #11 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-26-2006, 07:19 PM
Wacky Chimpnose

Good advice everyone! I would also suggest training. Regular puppy classes also help because they help establish your dominance (this works when you work on commands at home, too).

Good luck.

post #12 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-26-2006, 08:05 PM Thread Starter

Well I would like to take him to obediance training but you see money is kinda tight right now.....not to mention the fact that where I live obediance school is non heard of.We only have one vet in my whole town and they are located in a small trailer ^_^,good vet though. My town isn't very animal oriented.....

I tried the submissive thing but he absolutley fights and fights,biting really hard,snarling.....I just don't know what to do.....he won't even let me pet him without attempting to bite my fingers....I'm just at a loss here...I've never had a dog like him...
post #13 of 14 (permalink) Old 04-30-2006, 09:45 PM
Adolescent Pup

What kind of dog is he? Is he a small breed or large breed? When I was training my dog to stop biting I used the term nice kisses. I'd walk up to him kneel down with a small glob of peanut butter in my palm, present my hand to him. If he bit me I jerked my hand away, grabbed his muzzle with my other hand and firmly told him no. Then in a calm voice I would show him my palm and tell him nice kisses and let him lick the pb off my hand. Everytime he bit me I would repeat grabbing his muzzle and telling him no. It took him a few days then he got the hang of lick for a reward, biting is a grab of the nose and trouble. Try that, it might work!
post #14 of 14 (permalink) Old 05-01-2006, 01:57 AM

I think a huge part of his biting problem might be that hes a puppy and you know how sharp puppy's teeth are, hopefully he will calm down alot when hes a little older. I have a very stubborn dog also and anything that scares him (grooming or picking him up when he doesnt want to be picked up) he growls and if you persist he'll pretend to bite you and then he will bite you for real if you still don't stop, so I tentatively groom him and when he does bite me, I shun him, its all the will work with him, hes so aggressive.

Tags
border collie, litter mates