Sleep Sucking - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-23-2004, 02:09 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Sleep Sucking

Remy is just adorable and I am loving every minute of her. I've noticed that she does something that none of my other puppies have done -
She sucks in her sleep! She actually makes sucking noises and seems to be sucking on her tongue. Sometimes, I'll notice that she has a tiny piece of my sleeve or collar in her mouth and she's sucking the material in her sleep.

Has anyone else ever noticed their puppy doing this? Does it mean she was weaned too quickly? It's my belief that the breeder gave these pups up too soon. They were still nursing during the day, even though they were eating solid food. He must have had his reasons for letting them go so soon... In the reading that I did on the breed, I read in several places that most breeders keep their Yorkie pups with the mom until they are 10 to 12 weeks old. Remy was just over 7 weeks when I got her.
She is well adjusted, very friendly and going potty on the potty-pads with no accidents. I've even started very short working sessions with her and she will *sit* on command now. I am making her sit for everything Toys, treats, food - and for no reason at all - a good random Remy, Sit command with lots of praise to reinforce.
She's very, very affectionate and very attached to everyone in the house- especially Max and Paulie Walnuts the big fatty cat
I didn't know that Yorkies were natural retrievers either... she will consistantly bring back any toy I toss and tell her to "fetch" or "bring". It's too funny! She really plays like a little wild girl too, running, spinning and jumping all over - killing her toys and basically getting the puppy zooms many times a day.

So - she seems well adjusted! I was just wondering about this sucking behavior. Does anyone have a clue? Will she always do this? I think it's adorable - but... is indicative of anything in particular or is it just a Remy Quirk?

I'm going to try to attach a few pictures

Thanks you guys!!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg RemyOnTable2.jpg (17.6 KB, 20 views)
File Type: jpg RemyUnderTable.jpg (20.5 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg RemyHands3.jpg (15.9 KB, 18 views)

[center]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
[
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-23-2004, 03:22 AM
Incubator Cricket Killer

She is so sweet, I just can't get enough of her! My kittens do that sucking in thier sleep too, it's very cute!

post #3 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-23-2004, 06:39 AM
Wacky Chimpnose

dude dude dude... =) yorkies are cool, eh? penny did this too for a little while, but she did it when she was awake. i think remy will be ok. i got penny at 7 weeks also and she is fine. she had just been weened about 2 days before i got her. she was completely seperated from her mom so that she wouldn't go backwards.

about the fetching - penny learned to "go get it" and "bring it here" the first week i got her! they are ratters so they have the motivation to KILL their toys. it's so cute! i love that she loves your big dogs and cats! when penny met her first cat she just went up to it and kissed it on the nose. =)

is it weird being able to carry your dog around everywhere? it's cool.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-23-2004, 07:22 AM
Angel to Abandoned Puppies

she is soooo adorable.

MCBA Member

I've Been Frosted
post #5 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-23-2004, 07:30 AM
I Think I Need a Bigger Bear

What a cute little girl! I love that black button nose! How do you stop yourself from kissing her constantly??

Bach used to do the sucking thing too. He would take a corner of a blanket or a pillow or his dog bed, whatever and suck on it. We always thought it was just something weird that he did - it's nice to know there are others out there!

~ Jodi ~

post #6 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-23-2004, 08:42 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Claire did that sucking thing when she slept for quite a while. She doesn't do it anymore, I wonder why she did it also, hmmm Remy is sooo cute! I just love her cute little face!

*Brandy*

|
|
|

post #7 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-23-2004, 11:07 AM
Adolescent Pup

All 3 of the dachshunds I had did this when they were young too. I found it adorable and all I could picture was them being happy in their sleep and dreaming about their mommies. One time, I stuck my finger through the front to see what the noise was and that's how I knew they were sucking on their tongues. It's so freaking cute. lol.

Jessica

My zoo: 2 Ferrets named Natira and McCoy and lots of different fishies, snails, and african dwarf froggies.

post #8 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-23-2004, 12:30 PM
Indecision Queen

Paige (chihuahua) didn't do that very much but I can imagine how cute it is! Paige always just dreamt of running alot and still does, it's pretty funy to watch her.
Although I will have to agree about the fetching, Paige learned to fetch and bring it here after just having her a week and we are working on "drop it" but she is stingy with her stuffed frog toy and is still a little reluctant to give it up without a fight! But her other toys she will drop with no problem.

~Angela and the group~
Oscar~ Male Crested Gecko
Burt~ Male Leopard Gecko
Ernie~ Male Leopard Gecko
Candy~ Female Ball Python
Gidget~ Female Leopard Gecko
Paige~ Female Cholcolate Chihuahua
Marley~ Female Harlequin Great Dane
post #9 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-23-2004, 12:52 PM
Miss New Booty

Awwww that sounds so cute!! And Remy is just adorable! I really do think animals dream, too!

~* Jackie *~

post #10 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-23-2004, 01:53 PM
Adolescent Pup

They DO dream! I'm positive.. lol. My dogs also used to do these little high pitched barks in their sleep and would twitch. It was the cutest thing.

Jessica

My zoo: 2 Ferrets named Natira and McCoy and lots of different fishies, snails, and african dwarf froggies.

post #11 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-23-2004, 02:00 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

awww, thanks you guys!! It's reassuring to know that she's not lacking anything - it's just a self-soothing thing she does I guess!
It really is too adorable - it just melts me to the core when she's asleep on me and I hear that little sucking sound!!

She's such a *baby* - and I mean that in a good way, because I just love the little baby things she does! It brings out all my maternal instincts... I know, I know - I am bonkers!

Formula - I love carrying her around! She seems to like it too! She's started to learn that if she stands on her two back legs with her front paws on my leg I'll pick her up

She's also learning how to beg for food!!! Ugh! I can so understand how easy it is to spoil this dog rotten to the core!
I've even got a confession She naps in her crate , plays well by herself in her ex-pen - goes into her crate on her own, so she has no problems at all being crated...
so, I have cheated and let her cuddle with me at night - in my bed. She runs around the bed like a maniac for about 20 minutes while I laugh at her silliness... then she walks onto my chest, curls up with her face in the crook of my neck - and *plop* passes out. I can't resist her!
I'll slip her into her crate after a while...but my real confession is... I've fallen asleep and woken up in the morning with Remy still curled up sucking my jammie collar!!

Oh yah - I'm the big mouth crate advocate
You may all beat me with wet noodles now!!!

Oh, oh - and she smiles! She puts her little mouth in the shape of a smile - it's just to freaking cute I can't stand it. I have to try to get a picture of the smile face!

[center]

[
post #12 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-23-2004, 02:23 PM
Adolescent Pup

OMG, Deja! I swear, I love how you describe your doggie tales. She sounds like such a sweetie..

Jessica

post #13 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-23-2004, 04:09 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

aww thanks Jessica
Yanno - Max used to dream so much as a puppy. He would twitch like crazy at times I thought he was having seizures! A very active dreamer he was. Jack is still an active dreamer - he growls and moves his paws as if he is chasing someting...

Remy just sucks - no wait! That didn't sound right!! Let me rephrase that... Remy just makes those little baby sucking sounds!

[center]

[
post #14 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-23-2004, 08:00 PM
Wacky Chimpnose

omg deja! i was just about to ask you if you have witnessed the yorkie smirk yet! it is sooo cute!

post #15 of 16 (permalink) Old 01-23-2004, 08:35 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Seriously!?? OMG - this is a Yorkie trait? They smirk and smile? How awesome... I just thought it was something goofy that Remy was doing by accident and I was reading it as her smile or smirk! It's totally adorable, and hillarious! I love it

Do you keep Penny's hair in a top knot or pony tail of some sort? How old was she when you were first able to put her hair in a rubber band? I have the right ones, the tiny ones from the orthodontist that kids use on their braces. Her hair is just about long enough on her head to get into a small pony tail. SHe doesn't like it at all when I make a little pony tail though! I suppose it's something you have to get them used to?
I was just wondering how you kept Penny cut and if she wears a top knot or something on top of her head.

[center]

[

Tags
dog bed