Small problems with my perfect pet. .. - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-25-2009, 09:53 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Exclamation Small problems with my perfect pet. ..

Well, I love my dog, a lot.
And I spend all the time I can with him.

But, I am scared to take him on walks.
He is a ninety+ pound pitbull;; and he is soo strong!
It feels like he is all muscle!

&&He used to walk perfectly on the leash.
But now he pulls, and he pulls hard.

&&I really need to break this habit if I want to keep walking him.
He's not even done growing yet!

Also! He licks.
All the time.
Everyone.
Anywhere.
He will walk into my moms room, and she will look at him out of the corner of her eye, and once he spots it, he licks.
All the time, again.

Is there anyway to break that habit?
I mean-- it's not serious. . . But who wants to be licked in the face after you don't know what he just got done licking??

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Tucker
Born December 7, 2oo7
[[Stole my heart the day I laid eyes on him]]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-25-2009, 07:02 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

get a gentle lead or special no pull harness to help with the pulling on walks, If you put off walking him because he pulls then the more excited he will be and the more pulling he will do. I suggest using a very short lead, they can't get momentum if he has 1 foot of slack.

when he licks tell him no and make him go away from you, it sounds mean punishing him for something he does out of love, however it is annoying to be licked all the time, the only you need to do is stand up when he licks you so he cant reach you and he'll get the idea

[/CENTER]

post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 02:20 AM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendalle View Post
get a gentle lead or special no pull harness to help with the pulling on walks, If you put off walking him because he pulls then the more excited he will be and the more pulling he will do. I suggest using a very short lead, they can't get momentum if he has 1 foot of slack.

when he licks tell him no and make him go away from you, it sounds mean punishing him for something he does out of love, however it is annoying to be licked all the time, the only you need to do is stand up when he licks you so he cant reach you and he'll get the idea

I was thinking about getting him a no pull harness, but when I looked at them in the store, they looked so thin, I was scared he would snap it.

[[He breaks almost everything, he broke a choke collar because he thought I was in trouble. .]]

And the licking thing, yeah, I try to tell him no, but it just doesn't work all the time.

Tucker
Born December 7, 2oo7
[[Stole my heart the day I laid eyes on him]]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 04:57 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

get one for the right weight limits, and it shouldn't break, they are made for dogs that pull

[/CENTER]

post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 01-26-2009, 11:16 AM
Adolescent Pup

We had a trainer show us a great exercise for dogs that pull. Take him right out in front of your house and walk in an erratic pattern. Change directions abruptly, stop and start, change your speed, etc. It forces the dog to pay close attention to you to figure out where you're going, which means you're leading. Do that for a while, then start your normal walk. If he stops paying attention (and he will at first) and starts pulling, do it again.

It worked wonders with our 90 pound dog. She now watches me when we walk and has learned to follow. I'm now trying the same thing on our Samoyed, who's taking a bit longer (sled dogs like to pull), but it's getting through to him too.
post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 02-13-2009, 02:19 PM
Playful Pup

It seems like alot of it could be proper exercise, APBT need lots in general. He needs more than just a walk. He needs a work out. If you have a treadmill, you can make him use it for a half hour or so at a walk or a trot to help take off some of the edge, or if you have a fenced in back yard play with him alot before you take him out. Oh and in some places, using treadmills is illegal (apparently you're training them for pit fighting if you run them on a treadmill, so either do it discreetly if it is illegal, or find another way!!)

If you opt for a halti, or a no pulling harness, get a double clip, or a short handle leash or anything like that, and attach both the harness/halti and the collar to the leash incase one of them breaks, you've still got a back up. Make sure he's got tags on and even better is to be microchipped aswell.

Such a pretty dog might get stolen if he is seen wandering loose!!

Try getting a dog pack that fits him properly, fill it with sand in waterbottles, anything that will make a basic half hour walk a complete work out for him. He will enjoy it more, and he will be tired when he gets home! and work on commands like 'HEEL' or you can also train him to 'PULL' then train him to heel. I use the pull command with my dog, and at almost 9 months he now knows that if I say heel, he is at my side, and pull means at the end of the leash digging his feet into the ground to pull as hard as he can. If I dont say anything, then he has the 6 feet of leash to be where he wants so long as he is not pulling my arm off.

THe more you walk him, the better he will get!!

- Mel

Tags
licking, pulling