Smart cookie. - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-17-2005, 01:58 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

Lightbulb Smart cookie.

I've been working with Gumbo on a new trick and he's really made some progress. In the middle of vigorous play, I'll get the toy and hold it just above his nose, sometimes touching it, and will tell him to 'wait' until I say OK before getting it. He's getting quite good at controlling those urges! My ultimate goal is to get him to balance a treat on his nose ... we'll see!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg toywait.jpg (30.9 KB, 16 views)

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-17-2005, 02:20 PM

He's so cute, and smart too!
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-17-2005, 02:22 PM
Miss New Booty

Ohhhh yay Gumbo!!! That's awesome Steph!!!!!!!

~* Jackie *~

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-17-2005, 02:26 PM
Fertile Myrtle

WTG Gumbo!!

Wife to an amazing man,
mom to three wonderful kids (9, 5.10, 4),
2 dogs, 3 hermit crabs and 2 bettas

|

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-17-2005, 04:09 PM

I've taught Kiska to do just that! And you are definately going about it the right way! It took us a long time, but he seems real smart so you may be doing it sooner than you know!
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-17-2005, 04:11 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

WTG!!! That's great!

Owned by 26 chins, 7 cats, 2 dogs, and 7 aquariums

Come drop by!

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-17-2005, 05:48 PM

How cool Steph! I don't think you will have a problem with acheiving your goal.
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-17-2005, 07:59 PM
Wacky Chimpnose

that's cool! but does gumbo have enough nose to balance the cookie on? just kidding, jade!

post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-17-2005, 08:10 PM

way to go Gumbo. He'll get there steph, and sooner than we expect i'm sure.
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-17-2005, 11:40 PM
Resident Chatroom Blonde

WTG Gumbo.he is so cute.We used to do that with our boxer.She got to where once we said eat she could flip it up and catch it.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 08:54 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Yay Gumbo, you're a smart little guy!
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 09:02 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

He actually let me put a treat on his nose last night and waited til I gave the ok (looked a little cross-eyed!), but dropped it before eating it. He's so smart, but so STUBBORN. Getting him to do 'down' when he doesn't want to is like dealing with a cranky 3 year old.

Stephanie

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 10:38 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

I tried to teach my Dobe, Scarlette, to balance the treat on her nose. Every time I tried she did the crossed-eyed thing and I would get laughing like crazy and she would get all excited and not do the trick. We finally scrapped that idea.

Quote:
but does gumbo have enough nose to balance the cookie on?

BTW, that pic is adorable!

Rhonda

post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 10:42 PM

Way to go Gumbo!!, Jade you've got to take a picture of him balancing for us
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 01-19-2005, 10:57 PM
Wacky Chimpnose

^^^^what he said.^^^^ we need a pic of the balancing act!