So you want to wear fur ... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-20-2005, 08:32 AM Thread Starter
Suffers From Southern Belle Syndrome

So you want to wear fur ...

Well now you can in a humane way!

Dog hair/fur, that is.

I had to share, guys. Especially since this site calls Samoyed hair "Canine Cashmere."

I'm actually considering collecting Kirby's hair this shedding season in hopes of one day getting something knit from it. You can use Sheltie hair for some nice things as well, but Seamus doesn't produce enough for me to bother with collecting it (at least not yet).

Just thought I would share an alternative use for dog hair with you guys.

― Rowan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I've been frosted!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-20-2005, 09:03 AM
Poo dont scare me!!!

Neat idea! You will have to show us a pic of anything you make you know...Haha...Are you taking orders?? Just kidding...but really, thats awesome if you could do it.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-20-2005, 09:38 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

My dog gave enough hair off before it was cut to make a whole range of stuff

My handsome Prince

Swirly, Squashy, Squishy, Spot, Star, Slash and Rocky

Indy and Myfanwy

Tilly, Emil, Sonny and Smudge
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-20-2005, 09:45 AM
Wacky Chimpnose

i've seen that on tv! some guy made a hat out of his dog's fur, but it was uuuugly!

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-21-2005, 08:55 AM Thread Starter

I can't knit to save my life. I'd ship all that hair to someone so they could spin it and knit it for me. Darn my ignorance and lack of interest in such skills!

― Rowan

I've been frosted!

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-21-2005, 11:52 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by pihlaja
I can't knit to save my life. I'd ship all that hair to someone so they could spin it and knit it for me. Darn my ignorance and lack of interest in such skills!
The last time I tried to knit I ended up with more stitches every row and I did it so tight in the end I could not get my needle in.
I can finger knit is that any good???

My handsome Prince

Swirly, Squashy, Squishy, Spot, Star, Slash and Rocky

Indy and Myfanwy

Tilly, Emil, Sonny and Smudge
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-21-2005, 02:10 PM
Misses Her Smilie Titles

I did that same exact thing with the knitting!
It's cool that you can use dof fur for wool, I have never heard of that.
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-23-2005, 12:49 PM
PT's Troll Hunter

I would love to make a throw outta Dakota's fur. She is starting her seasonal shed, and today I got a paper grocery bag full of it.

I just think it is a wonderful thing to have. I wish I would've done it with Bean's fur before she was put to sleep. When she went into shedding, we could easily brush 3 plastic garbage bags full out of her! I would've cherished a throw from her fur my whole life. It would be a wonderful keepsake this time around when Dakota is gone....

I've decided to keep all the fur that I get from brushing her bagged. Ben said his mom (who is very crafty) might know how to spin it... I don't know how to knit that well (I was making a scarf and it was taking me forever... Then I got postponed with it because Ben crunched the tip of one of my needles (it was wooden)) so I would probably ask Cindy to do it for me, or else pay someone to do it. But I think as far as a blanket goes, I might like it to be crocheted... ?

Any one know how much fur (say in kitchen sized garbage bags) would be needed to make a decent size throw or blanket??

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 04-24-2005, 10:08 AM Thread Starter

According to this site, it would take about 35 ounces of raw fibres (unspun hair), which is a good deal of hair.

Also, be aware that when collecting hair to be spun, it should be CLEAN hair. And you should try to only get the under hair, since the coarse, outer hair can be rough against your skin and sometimes very scratchy and uncomfortable.

Edit: I found a better link: http://www.vipfibers.com/why-pet-fiber.htm

― Rowan

I've been frosted!

Last edited by pihlaja; 04-24-2005 at 10:17 AM.