Sodium Intake in Dogs - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-08-2012, 01:51 PM Thread Starter
Newborn Pup

Sodium Intake in Dogs

I know for humans sodium intake is a big thing to watch. What about pets? I read recently that pets do not suffer from cardiovascular diseases the same way humans do. I also know that sodium and chloride are essential nutrients for diets.

Do any of you know if monitoring a petsí sodium intake is an important factor? Do you monitor how much sodium your pets intake?

As I have mentioned before I always try to feed my dog natural dog food. I know that what I feed him for meals (Freshpet foods) is within veterinary recommendations for wholesome nutrition. I am mostly just wondering about sodium intake and how it affects pets- any input is appreciated. Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-08-2012, 03:53 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

You do want to watch sodium. I don't know how much you watch your own, but pet foods shouldn't contain much and if you give your pet human food treats low sodium is a thing to watch. I make messi a scrambled egg every once and a while (once every month or two) i make it with garlic and no salt.

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-09-2012, 02:13 PM
Newborn Pup

Sodium Intake in Dogs

Hi there; I am unable at this time to post any links to some interesting articles regarding both the sodium levels recommended in pet foods by AAFCO (Association of American Feed Control Officials, the governing body as to which all pet food manufacturers have to follow) as well as to high blood pressure and the underlying causes. If you would like to PM me, I would be happy to give you those links.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-10-2012, 02:22 PM
Newborn Pup

I feed mine Beneful. Does anyone have any yays or nays about this brand?
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 10-10-2012, 02:23 PM
Newborn Pup

My dog has epilepsy and is on Pheno so I don't know if food high in sodium would affect her at all? I never heard it increasing the risk of seizures, but you never know...

Tags
healthy dog food, natural dog food