Some advice Please for GSD - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-11-2005, 10:13 AM
purebredsable

Question Some advice Please for GSD

Im new here and I was wonderinging if there is something I could do ,,,,I have a LITTLE problem With my GSD Butterfly

Let me start by infroming you on a little info about her
*I got her when she was 9 weeks old
*She is Two years old
*she is also unfix
*she is a purebred (sable)as you can see in my avtar...she is a hottie

*I own my own bungalow here in toronto...which Butterfly has access to and from the a/c house she comes in/out as please....

*I have my Mother/Father whom live in my Basement Apartment with Three toy poodles...

*well the problem starts here

*I do have a Big Crate outside in the yard which was used to train her in the beginning and now just sits in the yard....

*My mom has to use it to put butterfly in if see brings out the poodles to pee pee ect....Because for some reason she goes crazy like
Once I told my mom to bring just one out and I hold butterfly short of her and try to atemped to let smell one another....

*Well butterfly right away took her paw like she was ,,well it just scared me...

*we dont understand because if my mother puts her in her cage and sits on a near by chair Butterfly wont make a peep but I come passing by or my father the poodles start barking at me and Butterfly goes nuts like she is telling them off or something...

*She evn started to snap at my mom for even temping to put her in the cage cause shes not stupid She know WHY shes going in there ,,,I tryed to explain to my mother....I put her in it proberly once this year and that was because I had a pregnant friend over and butterfly love to jump all over new people she doesnt relize shes young yet

*she goes by me just telling her to and she has no problem to Copmmands I only have to speak once and she listens...If I was to stand up right now she will shadow me around untill I sit again she thinks Im her mommy and dang right Im am...she wont do this to no one else but my self

* This thing with smaller animals scares me ,,,I dont want her to anyone and she will cause she is big and if she ruff plays with a little one she proberly wont relize shes hurting them..

* she always walked to parks but once she shes some other dog she goes bannanas...I got to hold her back

* you know how they say when a dog is gonna attack you know tail duc ect she doent show these kind of sign I dont understand

* is it possible for her to run loose one day with moms poodles or is there no hope
* is it because shes still young she still behaves like she did when she was 1 energy happy never stops

all abot this long letter I need help from one pet lover to
another.

Ok Im finished thanks in advance guys

Last edited by purebredsable; 08-11-2005 at 10:17 AM. Reason: key board is sticky i think spelling

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-11-2005, 10:54 AM
Angel to Abandoned Puppies

She obviously is in need of socialization with other dogs. You might try obedience classes. It may be as simple as her just wanting to play with them. At age 2 a GS is still very much a puppy.

Another recommendation is a behaviorist. I would definately consult one. Locking her in the kennel when the others come outside seems as punishment to her i'm sure. Maybe just put her inside instead.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

MCBA Member

I've Been Frosted
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-11-2005, 11:23 AM
purebredsable

Smile ok

I just e-mailed a trainer in toronto

Mother knows best here in my area I sent her a copy of my question for help in the forum to see what she will say Thnks alot

I proberley wont here nothing right away But maybe by the time i get back from camping aug 22 Butterflys going too,,,wish me luck

wait a minute im gonna go back to mother knows best web site to see if there a number silly me:hitself:

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-11-2005, 11:28 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I agree with Chrisanne i think she needs more socialization with other dogs as i think she has some kind of dominance issue that needs resolving probably from lack of socialization. Maybe she sees the crate as a punishment and by putting her in there and the other dogs being lose its making matters worse?! I think shes still young and full of energy and probably originally it was all play with the poodles and the more shes been kept away and locked away from them the more she now tries to get to them hence the behaviour you are now witnessing between her and other dogs. I'd definately ask a behaviourist for advice and see what they say and go on from there as it can't hurt and can only make things better for both you and her She's a stunning dog though and obviously adored by you

Kirsty

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-11-2005, 11:46 AM
purebredsable

thanks guys

Thanks guys I love my baby too much this is frustrating on me i dont understand whats up she walks every day and not always there dogs at the park but when there is she lets me know .... heres the site I found close to me http://www.motherknowsbest.ca/

I also called the trainer her name is dorthy left a message
thanks again
ill keep you posted

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-11-2005, 03:24 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

I was just curious as to why you have not spayed her? Not that I wish to have an argument, but I really think you should. I do agree she is definatly having some dominance issues, so agression and possibly self confidence problems too. Socialization and training classes will definatly help. Be very honest about your dog to the trainer, so they can best asess how to help you dog turn into a wonderful GSD.

Owned by 26 chins, 7 cats, 2 dogs, and 7 aquariums

Come drop by!

post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-11-2005, 06:58 PM
purebredsable

I spoke to the trainer

Well I spoke to the trainer she said that I dont need to go anywhere to train her ,,,And I could do it My self here at home,,,she says that I got to calm dowm and that Butterfly just wants to play with the poodles..She said when my mother brings out she dogs Iam to bring Butterfly out to and tell her to sit and make her sit and have the poodles come to her rather then her to them once getting use to they all can be happy in the yard togeather...she said if she was to do this for me it will cost and that it didnt make sence that if I can do it at home why not try...she was so very nice she asked me to keep her posted..thanks guys 4 your help all do you guys think it will work what she said?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 9.jpg (17.0 KB, 4 views)

post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-11-2005, 07:23 PM
Angel to Abandoned Puppies

It will work, but eventually you need to take her outside of your home to socialize her with other dogs as well. That's where obedience classes come in.

I generally never recommend someone who's never trained a dog to do so. Always get help from a trainer. One on one help.

Good luck.

MCBA Member

I've Been Frosted
post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-11-2005, 08:30 PM
purebredsable

Smile We dont understand

she does go out side everyday since she was small unless of thundering bad storm or frezzing out -40 but any other time .....
thats why we dont understand why she is that way here at home...please do understand she is out all the time .....we go to parks and walks around the neibourhood...

she just like that here at home

post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-12-2005, 12:06 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

You said she was aggressive with dogs on leash (in the distance) right? There for your problems will not be solved this way.

Also, when letting the GSD meet the poodles, make sure ALL dogs are on leash so that if the need arises, they can quickly seperated and corrected. I still highly recomend getting her into a class. I also recomend spaying her.

Owned by 26 chins, 7 cats, 2 dogs, and 7 aquariums

Come drop by!

post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 08-13-2005, 09:35 AM
I Think I Need a Bigger Bear

She definitely needs socialization training. Shepherds have a tendancy to be territorial and she make be acting out towards your mothers dogs because they are coming into *her* backyard.

She's not acting this way because she's young but since she's only two, you need to start training her immediately so the behavior isn't reinforced.

Good luck!

~ Jodi ~