Some Questions :) - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-24-2005, 09:19 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Some Questions :)

I'll just make them by number because I've got so many!

1. My Collie/GSD seems to enjoy playing with dogs more than humans... like if I'm playing with him and my GSD comes around he'll go after her and want to play with her. He wants to play a lot rougher than she can because she's 13 this year. He also is a little too rough for my Jack Russells. What would be the best way to try to get him to play more appropriate?

2. My Collie/GSD also seems to tear apart toys. All of his toys only last so long, but her prefers fuzzy toys... does anyone know of any good brand of toys? He was bought a $12 toy that's supposed to handle a lot of rough play, but he tore that up maybe 3 days after having it.

3. Is there any solution for car sickness?

4. How long can a dog walk? I know it depends on the dog, but I'm just afraid of walking too much and I can't care an 80 pound dog home. I won't be able to walk him soon though, so I guess this isn't too important.

5. My Collie/GSD also has a problem when he gets too excited he seems to zone everything out and do whatever. The people next door just got their dog's back. He LOVES running and being by them. Whenever I call him to come in he'll listen sometimes but other times he just runs with them. If someone comes over he does this too...he just gets so excited and starts running like a crazy dog. What would be the best way to stop this?

6. I'd for him to be okay without a leash on... just to sit out front... anyone have any tips for getting him okay with that?

7. He also seems to love jumping when playing... luckily he hasn't learned to go over the fence. He loves jumping for snow, balls, treats and stuff... I was thinking about starting with a frisbee in the summer time... any tips on getting him started with that?

8. I have been giving my dog bones. His teeth seem very clean. Is there anyway to tell if he needs a cleaning?

Geez, I sound like such a bad owner. I'm pretty much responsible for him, but other people try other methods of getting him to listen, so it's hard to try to start one thing because other people do other things (IE. my older sister).

:-)
1 rabbit, 6 rats, 1 conure, 1 cockatiel, 1 lovebird, 1 cockroach

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
- Bracelets, Beads + Supplies!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Brittney; 03-24-2005 at 09:23 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-24-2005, 10:13 AM

Quote:
1. My Collie/GSD seems to enjoy playing with dogs more than humans... like if I'm playing with him and my GSD comes around he'll go after her and want to play with her. He wants to play a lot rougher than she can because she's 13 this year. He also is a little too rough for my Jack Russells. What would be the best way to try to get him to play more appropriate?
I've got three dogs that prefer humans but get jealous and end up playing with each other lol... dunno the answer outside of appropriate discipline/authority..e.g. if getting out of control they MUST STOP DROP AND LISTEN to you...

Quote:
2. My Collie/GSD also seems to tear apart toys. All of his toys only last so long, but her prefers fuzzy toys... does anyone know of any good brand of toys? He was bought a $12 toy that's supposed to handle a lot of rough play, but he tore that up maybe 3 days after having it.
When you find out ... let me know! Be careful though.... mine prefer pulling the stuffing out of plush toys and eating the strings they create out of rope toys...this creates rather uncomfortable and abnormal looking bowel movements.... we just watch the toys carefully now and when anything begins to look out of whack it is removed from the toybox. We go through a LOT of toys too.... For frisbees we use the 'hurl-a-squirrels' which seem to outlast everything... it's the only frisbee aka tug aka whatever toy that seems to survive for quite a long time. We get them at petsmart... their about $12 but actually last! I've also found that basketballs, soccer balls, and footballs make GREAT toys for larger dogs. I'm usually able to find footballs at wal-mart for less than $5 each. They're a toy in the beginning but once the hole gets punctured in it and it loses air...do not throw it away.... it makes a great chew and tug toy for quite some time after that. My large dogs luv their abused footballs!

Quote:
3. Is there any solution for car sickness?
All of my dogs love car rides.... so I dunno on this one....

Quote:
4. How long can a dog walk? I know it depends on the dog, but I'm just afraid of walking too much and I can't care an 80 pound dog home. I won't be able to walk him soon though, so I guess this isn't too important.
Chelsea, my whippet/shepherd never gets tired...I've yet to figure out how far she can go...we've had her out for miles and miles without a problem and she's still wanting more. Polo, however, 7yr old 110lb rottweiler gets tired pretty fast... I end up "dragging him home" after only about a 1/2 mile. I think in this area it's best to just let the dogs actions tell you....

Quote:
5. My Collie/GSD also has a problem when he gets too excited he seems to zone everything out and do whatever. The people next door just got their dog's back. He LOVES running and being by them. Whenever I call him to come in he'll listen sometimes but other times he just runs with them. If someone comes over he does this too...he just gets so excited and starts running like a crazy dog. What would be the best way to stop this?
I use treats. Every time I call the dogs in they get a treat (one lil treat broke into three pieces). Just a TINY nibblet so they get the reward but don't get too fat lol. Over time they realize that when I call..it's treat time.. and this has got them responding rather quickly even when they are running the fence all excited with the neighbor's dogs. Polo isn't "perfect" about it yet but he has certainly shown improvement in the area. Chelsea and Trinity drop everything and hurry in to be the first to get the treat.

Quote:
6. I'd for him to be okay without a leash on... just to sit out front... anyone have any tips for getting him okay with that?
I disagree with leaving unleashed dogs where the potential for them to run and get hurt is there so I'd be no help with this one.... Too many things can happen...

Quote:
7. He also seems to love jumping when playing... luckily he hasn't learned to go over the fence. He loves jumping for snow, balls, treats and stuff... I was thinking about starting with a frisbee in the summer time... any tips on getting him started with that?
Remember the 'hurl-a-squirrels' talked about above. If they destroy toys they'll likely destroy frisbees too... mine do. Everything except the 'hurl-a-squirrels' I toss it out there and trade them a treat for the frisbee if they bring it back. Chelsea LOVES to play frisbee now and on the "drop it" command she does w/o a treat...

Quote:
8. I have been giving my dog bones. His teeth seem very clean. Is there anyway to tell if he needs a cleaning?
Talk to the vet.... they have great tools for teeth cleaning... Mine get a yearly cleaning by the vet. We're also supposed to brush the dog's teeth every day or at least 3 times a week even if they get bones but I admit...that routine doesn't work so well here :/ Goal is healthy looking gums and white teeth...not yellow'd

If you get the animal channel try to find a show called "The Dog Whisperer" he has some great tips on getting a proper relationship with your dogs... I've seen every episode and though it sometimes seems repetitive...watching it enough will give you a great handle on the goals to happier healthier relationship with your dogs
post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-24-2005, 11:53 AM

Deb has some great advice, as always.

For the car sickness.. its a long haul and can not always be overcome. Try starting with small rides, even just down the driveway. Progress as the dog does. If he can't even tolerate that short ride, talk to the vet about what you could possibly give him to aid his discomfort during car rides. Mine all love to go too, but I start them right away in the car.

About the walking, I agree with Deb. Let the dog tell you how far. Start out small, a block or two and progress from there. You want to be able to walk your dog regardless of how big it gets. This is where obedience classes are key.

I also strongly disagree with unleased dogs. Even in your own yard. You never know how they will react to a situation. Even my shepard who does listen to whatever I say does not roam about unleashed.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-25-2005, 07:23 AM
Wacky Chimpnose

i just wanted to add to what was already said. i agree w/both of you guys - if a dog is trained properly, any size person should be able to walk the dog. did you mean you won't be able to because of your schedule or something? or his size?

if he's a puller, i would try getting a Gentle Leader early on. i just bought one for each of my small dogs and saw improvement while in the store. it is a muzzle-looking/collar thing that stops your dog from pulling. it is NOT a muzzle, though. they can bark, drink water, etc.

the fact that he gets excited and "zones out" is normal. this is where obidience training comes in handy. it helps to establish you as the alpha and he learns that listening to you and paying you attention is beneficial to him (treats, hugs, etc).

you also said that you and your sister do things differently w/him? this really has to stop. he will never learn if she lets him do something and you tell him no. he will be super confused. try talking to her.

hope this helps!!

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-25-2005, 09:55 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Thanks for the responses

This being the first puppy I've ever had has made it a challenge because I've never trained a dog from the beginning and since he was a stray pup he didn't know much. All of my other dogs listen really well, so he's learned from them a bit I believe.

I've never had a dog that gets car sick. There was once that he didn't throw up and that was when he was in the car and not the van, so would that have anything to do with it? I just feel bad to take him to the lake & parks for him to enjoy it a bit but be sick too.

I do use treats to get him to come in and he usually listens to me, but he does have more of a problem with other people in my house.

I've seen the Dog Whisperer on the National Geographic channel I believe.

He walks great on a leash... he's done REALLY good with that. I have a gentle leader type thing, but I've found that a harness works better for him. Walking on a leash good, sit, stay and potty training were probably the easiest things with him. I meant that I wouldn't be able to walk him soon because I'll be having back surgery so that'll take time away from walks.

I've tried saying things to my sister, but luckily she isn't around him too much.

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-25-2005, 12:45 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

I just picked up 2 books at the library... one about positive training and one about understanding your dog so hopefully they'll be helpful too.

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-25-2005, 01:15 PM

Sounds like with all the advice given (which I agree with 100%) and the books, you should be on the right track
post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-26-2005, 08:07 PM

If I ever find a toy that Ein doesn't destroy, I'll let you know. He won't play with a toy that he can't eventually tear apart; he completely loses interest. He likes to pull strings out of his rope and leave them on the floor. He likes to chew the ears, hairs,fabric eyes, tags (the sewn in fabric ones), etc off of his toys and leave them on the floor. He likes to chew holes in his stuffed animals so that he can pull all the stuffing out and leave it all over the floor. If he can't make any progress on tearing a toy up, he completely ignores it and won't play with it.
post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-27-2005, 05:40 PM

Great advice ya'll!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 03-27-2005, 06:46 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brittney

So far, the only toys that have stood up to our dachshund, Rocky, are toys by the company "SPOT". You could give them a try...

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

Tags
jack russell, potty train, potty training, stuffed animal, stuffed animals