Spaying/Neutering small dogs - Page 2 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #16 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-14-2004, 11:21 PM
Resident Chatroom Blonde

Where I work they recommend the females stay over night just in case of complications.They don't charge for over night stays.I have seen a couple of dogs spayed that bleed for some reason about 2-3 hours after surgery.We add the pain shot price in our fee and tell them it is added.They have allowed some to go home that night if they are kept in the house and quiet.
They schedule all surgeries in the am between 8:30 -10:00.It usually takes about 30 minutes for the dog to start coming out of the anesthsia.
Kittygurl823 if your dog was still drowsy they probably didn't do the surgery that morning it was probably done in the afternoon.Every dog I have seen spayed are usually up and moving by the afternoon.
However I am like you all I brought my girl home that night cause I didn't want to leave her there all night alone.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #17 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-15-2004, 02:16 AM

Quote:
I've also read that Toy breeds mature slower than large breeds - is this true?
As far as I have read & experienced (I breed shih-tzu's) toy breeds mature sexually FASTER than larger breeds
post #18 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-15-2004, 02:21 AM Thread Starter
Miss New Booty

Yes, Runt, you are probably right. They only called at like 3:30 ( I think) to say she was done, that means she was sitting there all day from 7:45 on. Oh, I see what you are saying, how your office works. Well that's good the overnight visit for the girls is no charge atleast! They gave all my dogs shots for pain and my cat, as well had a pain shot.
Oh how about this... on Kahlua (right now I can't remember if this happened to Pen and Jas) they pulled his back baby teeth! Which I understand can be routine, while the dog is under anesthetic, and they need to come out, but no one notified us this was done! On the car ride home, Brad pet under his chin and he yelped out in pain, I was horrified! I said, "You know what, it's almost like he had a tooth pulled! I bet they did and didn't tell us!" I looked at the itemized bill and there was a charge for it, too! Well, the next day I called, and they were so apologetic and refunded my account with the money, (there actually shouldn't have been a charge, she said) and were so sorry no one notified me about it. So, make sure that when your doggies get fixed, you make it clear you want to know if they will be pulling teeth! I just want to be notified so I knew what to expect, ya know? You don't expect painful mouths as well.

"It really is disturbing to see our little babies doing that though!" Yup

~* Jackie *~

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #19 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-15-2004, 06:02 AM
Resident Chatroom Blonde

Kittygurl823.I am sorry they did that to your dog.Everything they do where I work they get permission before it is done.If they see a tooth that needs to come out I think they are suppose to call the owner and get permission before they do it.If they can't get the owner and they do it, it is at no charge and they explain to the owner why they did it and will send pain meds home if needed.Just like a young cat that comes in if the owner says it is a male and it turns out to be a female even though we have an anesthia release they can't spay it without first notifying the owner.What I hate more than anything though is after 5:30-6:30 after I leave there is no one at the clinic till 7:00-7:30 the next morning when I get there for the dogs.I wish it could be different but it isn't.That is why I like to bring mine home and if the owner insist I try to get the vet to release them that night.I try to make sure they are all able to hold down a little food and at least can walk out and use the bathroom.Though dogs vary alot in the way they come around after surgery some female are up and about in a matter of 30 minutes after up to 3 hours after.It seems the younger a dog is spayed the quicker they recover.The nueters seem to do alot better.However cats take alot longer to come around than dogs.I have seen cats still out of it 6 hours after they are spayed.I don't know why it takes them so long and if they aren't given a pain shot they hold their poor little heads like they have areally bad headache.I try to explain to cat owners as well as dog owners how important the pain shot is and how well they come around.This is just what I have experienced thru my working the kennel at the vets office.

post #20 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-15-2004, 08:37 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Hey, I'm back in on this one again, gotta catch up! lol Claire is humping her big bear toy a lot now. I'm beting she is showing dominance to him. lol It's strange and funny though to see her do it. She'll run by him and then jump on him and well, you know, lol! She bites him and growls at him too! She almost looks proud afterward too. Rebel is a little humper too. Not to often though, he'll try a few times with Molly but she'll let him know, "I don't think so buddy!" Silly little Rebel! I know a lot of clinics that do all their surgeries in the am. That way they have all day to monitor them.

*Brandy*

|
|
|

post #21 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-15-2004, 09:16 AM
Poo dont scare me!!!

Kittygurl I have read up alot on dominance issues, and it is true, that two females will fight more than two males, or a male and a female pair. At least with Boxers. I guess that the female female pair has the most of chance to not get along, then the male male pair, and the female male pair is the least likley to have problems. At least that is what I have read before. Maybe the girls just have bad attitudes or ego's!
post #22 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-15-2004, 11:12 AM
Boo
Adolescent Pup

Hi, just thought I'd stick my . There really is no reason for an animal to stay overnight after routine spay/neuter unless the clinic wants more $$$, or there is a complication, which rarely happens. The only time we keep a cat overnight is when they are declawed, some cats don't like the feeling of it and will shake their paws, and if they hit it hard enough, they may bleed, causing the owners to freak. We have only had that happen 2x in my 14 years working there. By the time the cat is ready to go home, they are more adjusted to the feeling and are practically running around the house when they get home.

We usually recommend spaying female dogs at about 6 months, it is best to spay before they go into their first heat, as this reduces the chance of breast tumors by almost 95%, and breast tumors are almost always malignant. Another good reason to spay female dogs is you don't want them to have an emergency situation, like Pyometra. This is a condition where the uterus becomes infected, full of pus, and if left untreated, it may rupture and death is quick to follow.

A healthy uterus on a large sized dog is the usually the diameter of a drinking straw, maybe a little larger. When a dog has Pyometra, that uterus is now the diameter of a baseball, there is also a higher risk during surgery, as the incision has to be larger, the dog's health is compromised from the infection, and it usually present in older dogs, over 8 yrs old. There is always a risk during surgery, but when done on young, healthy animals, the risk is minimal, and recovery time is quick.

Males should also be neutered at about 6 months, some dogs are cryptorchid or monorchid (meaning one or both testicles is not yet "dropped" into place). The risk of prostate problems and testicular cancer go up as they age...

Anyway, I think I've babbled enough about this, thanks.

I have found that in my experience, the female will always dominate the male, and 2 male dogs are more to fight when a female is present, in season. My Snarf was the dominant female, and when my grandparents passed, we took their dobex female, who used to try to dominate Snarf, all the while our male was getting his kicks watching.....so, I would also agree on the 2 female thing.....Catfight!!!

OH, and one more thing---I see it in my clinic all the time, the men have a hard time neutering their male dogs, the wife wants it done, and he is having "sympathy pains" for his male friend. Male dogs surgery is very quick, the longest part is the anesthetic,the actuall surgery is about 8-10 minutes, the females are more complicated. It's always harder on the female, humans or cats/dogs/add your species here________!

*Dani*

Owned by:
Jezebel, White Capped Pionus
Lu, Hahn's Macaw
Bubbles, Toy poodle

Last edited by Boo; 01-15-2004 at 11:18 AM.
post #23 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-15-2004, 03:20 PM Thread Starter
Miss New Booty

I agree Dani... I didn't think there was a reason for them to stay, but I didn't know for sure, but I had never heard of it, unless there was an underlying problem, etc. Yup wanted more $$$ in my case. Oh I so wanted to have both my girls spayed before that heat cycle, but with Jasmine they just didn't think it was safe to take that risk, since they didn't know if she had any problems. This poor girl had more blood tests done on her only being 1 years old. With Penny, I wanted to wait until we moved in this house, and we had just had Kahlua done, she was 7 mos, the DAY I called, she started bleeding. I totally agree, I think 6 months is the good age to have it done. Thanks so much for all that information you gave us all!
Do you know I had a neighbor man like that!?!? They had a poodle dog, had him 13 years, *he* didn't want to "take away the dogs manhood" when she wanted to fix him! I'm like "WHAT?! You can't be serious!?" So they lived 13 years with the dog lifting his leg peeing on everything, their cutains like everyday, and humping everything else! I couldn't believe it.

Melissa, that is what I was hearing about female dogs!!! Jasmine and Penny want to fight all the time, always fighting over one toy when I have like 50 toys for them. My moms friend has 7 dogs, and her girls fight and cause more trouble than the males she said.

LOL Brandy!

Runt- Yes exactly, they should give permission before they pull a tooth like that! Yes, that's exactly what I was thinking when they said to leave Penny there, like you said, after you left there was no one there until the next morn. at 7 am! So I knew she would be all alone. We wanted her home with us so we could take care of her. That's so funny you said that about the cats! They must've neutered Smokie in the morning, b/c I brought him home and it was like nothing happened! He was running around like crazy, I was trying to keep him calm. But you did say when the cats are spayed? Do girl cats take it different? Ginger was already spayed when I got her, so I don't know. I know mine were all given a pain shot. My dogs were all able to walk when we picked them up and everything, just groggy and sleepy for the rest of the evening, but I think I got all of them to eat a little something (they said not to feed the normal amount till next morning) that night with no problems at all.

~* Jackie *~

post #24 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-15-2004, 05:13 PM
Resident Chatroom Blonde

Kittygurl in my experience with the time I have been with the vet clinic.I have seen alot of surgeries come thru.It seems that female cats do take alot longer to come around.I Have seen them spayed at 9:00 a.m and still not be fully functional at 5:00.They seem groggy and don't move around much.I have even seen a few that was still so out of it that I wouldn't leave water or food in their cage at all.(For fear if they were to stand up and fall they could land face down in the water dish.)I have only had to leave 2-3 without water,but made sure I was there early the next morning to see them wide awake and ready to eat.They were taken care of first.I haven't seen very many female cats to pop up and be awake like a dog.I never questioned the vet as to why it takes a cat longer.
If by chance the owner does want to take their pet home at the end of the day we tell them small amounts of food because too much can make them vomit it up.

post #25 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-15-2004, 07:30 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

You guys are right! Dani, you are telling about pyometra so good! Lets people know how awful it is. I can't wait to put my knowledge to work at a clinic, I hope I get that job I want! lol Dani, what kind of clinic do you work at?

*Brandy*

|
|
|

post #26 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-15-2004, 08:24 PM
Boo
Adolescent Pup

Brandy--I work at a small animal hospital, only canine and feline. Sort of an all around helper--since I am the only one there who is not a vet, I answer the phones, take appointments, etc..and I do assist in surgery, as a matter of fact my Boston Terrier was born by c-section, and BLUE, so I was the one who revived her. My daughter has even been around for some surgeries, and she watches them, no problem. I also handle the post-op care, sometimes give vaccinations, all depends where they need me.

Runt--I have not really noticed the longer duration for female cats though..(I will make a point to watch for that now)....as far as coming out of the anesthetic, however, we used to use Halothane as the anesthetic, and all animals took long to wake up from that. The new one(i can't remember the name, will check tomorrow) we use they wake up almost immediately upon shutting it off, within 2 minutes. They're not ready to run laps, but they don't seem to be AS groggy as with the Halothane.

*Dani*

Owned by:
Lu, Hahn's Macaw
Bubbles, Toy poodle
post #27 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-15-2004, 08:32 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

It's Isoflurane, right? Yeah, I want to do what you do, I'm in school to be a vet tech just not done yet. I haven't finnished yet. I hope to get a job at a clinic soon, I am looking at two different ones. I hope I get one of them, I bet you love your work sometimes don't you? (I know it can have it's sad and burnout moments probably though)

*Brandy*

|
|
|

post #28 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-15-2004, 09:16 PM
Boo
Adolescent Pup

THANK YOU! I could not remember Isoflurane for my life!

I do love the job, but I just wish they would hire someone for the clerical duties, the public sometimes gets on my nerves. I understand, some are really emergencies, and they usually are taken care of right away, but this is my typical "emergency"

What they deem an "emergency" sometimes makes me want to rip their hair out.

We'll get people who want to bring their dog in "right now", so I ask why, and they tell me" he's shaking his head, he has an ear infection". Yes they more than likely do, but then I ask "how long has it been going on for" and they respond" oh about 4 weeks, I just can't stand it anymore, he keeps waking me up shaking" and I just want to HIT THE ROOF!!!!

Otherwise, I wouldn't have it any other way.

BTW, good luck in your studies, I'm sure you'll be a great vet tech!

*Dani*

Owned by:
Lu, Hahn's Macaw
Bubbles, Toy poodle
post #29 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-15-2004, 09:27 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Thank you very much. I hope all will go well for me! I feel like you about the public, they get on my nerves a lot too. I hate they way some clients are like that, they let something go on for a long time, then they just want things their way.

*Brandy*

|
|
|

post #30 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-17-2004, 06:04 AM

There's a new one besides Iso - they now recommend for small dogs. It's more expensive, but they feel safer. Not sure what they used on Amber, she was 8 lbs at the time. But we had to pay extra for an IV to wake her up. Luckily she was fine. I found out later, that they do not always use the best on a shelter puppy. Needless to say that got me furious, her adoption fee was $200.00 because she's a Sato. And whatever she needed - we would have paid for. We also had her chipped while she was asleep. The chips are painful to insert unless the dog is asleep. I had a few choice words for the shelter director as feedback on the vet. And I've told a LOT of people about their poor attitude. I think the only saving grace was the tech who was in charge of her, also has a Sato and fell in love with Amber. She stayed really close to her. They also exposed her to a puppy with Parvo while she was there. Grrrrrr

Tags
adoption fee, animal hospital, boston terrier, breed dogs, dog owners, doing fine, ear infection, heat cycle, male cat, older dog, vet clinic, vet tech