Spaying/Neutering small dogs - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-14-2004, 03:37 PM Thread Starter
Miss New Booty

Spaying/Neutering small dogs

Ok, well I didn't want to take over SoapAddict's thread about Cookie, so since we are were talking about spaying/neutering small dogs, here are my experiences!
I think different vets vary on when they want to spay and neuter. One vet told me as soon as 4 months old, they could be fixed. And like Jodi, I have heard 6 months is the ideal. Kahlua was neutered at 1 year, he's 8 lbs. The only thing he ever did was start to lift his leg in the house and then I knew it was time. LOL. That went away after he was fixed. Dachshunds, I have heard, and from Kahlua's stand point take it very hard, poor guys. He was moping for the next few days. Kahlua was depressed and started peeing in my house for no reason. I ran him back to the vet a few days later, everything checked out fine, no complications and no urinary tract issues. She said "Well, quite frankly, I think he is depressed over all this" So, I got a weeks worth of doggie prozac, so to speak, and after that, all was fine!

Like I said earlier, Jasmine couldn't be fixed right away, since they were checking for kidney issues, and didn't want to put her under anesthetic. After all checked out ok, and thankfully, nothing was wrong with her kidneys, she was spayed at about 9 months, weighing about 6 lbs. She was groggy when she got home, but that night perked up and the next day was better and eating, she was fine. The vet did such a good job, there is practically no scar.

With Penny, she was fixed about 7 months of age, at about 11 pounds. I was upset b/c I had taken her to another vet to get fixed, the one she had first seen when I got her, and I liked him. Well, we aren't going back. I don't know about you guys, but in your cases, haven't you been able to pick your pets up at the end of the day and take them home?? The night before surgery, I had a message confirming Penny's spay and boarding. I thought "What on earth? Boarding" When I dropped her off, they said, "Yes, thats generally what happens, they will stay overnight and you can pick her up in the morning." I said, "I have had 2 dogs fixed and 1 cat fixed and they all came home with me that very day" So, basically, they just wanted to charge me a boarding fee, is what it boiled down to! I went back and 5 and said "Look, I want to take my dog home, now!" The nurse came out all like "Well, the Dr said it was fine (ya since I was there complaining) but she's still groggy, and won't be herself tonight.", almost like I didn't know what I was doing and couldn't take care of her! I repeated my earlier phrase about how I have had 2 dogs and 1 cat fixed, I know how to take care of my animals. And who was going to be there with her when the place closed? I took her home and she was groggy until the anesthetic wore off and was fine, and slept with us all cozy in our bed. So I don't know what that was all about. She recovered well but there is a scar on her.

It all depends on where you go, some give you pain meds to take home, others, it's included in their anesthetic/shot pre-surgery. Cats must be very different from dogs, b/c I brought Smokie home, and it was like nothing even happened, wide awake and running around (Ya, let me try to keep my cat calm and no running around! )

~* Jackie *~

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by kittygurl823; 01-14-2004 at 03:42 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-14-2004, 03:47 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Yeah when I got Rebel neutered he was grogy and moping around and such. Then he was fine, he still lifts his leg though and I got him fixed at about Jan of last year so he was about 7 months old I think. He will be two this year, born July 4th, that's right isn't it?, 7 months... lol, I'm awful,hehe. Anywho, I definatley don't want Claire to be there overnight, unless she absolutley has too. I just can't leave her there alone, no way! lol Max, my cat, when he was neutered he was fine too, almost like nothing happend, now he didn't like being at the vets cuz he was shreading the paper towels right off the holder that was close to his cage, lol, that's my boy!!!! Love you Max, and miss you! I think I will get Claire fixed, I am going to wait a while though, and hope that she doesn't start her heat any time in the next few months, she's about 6 1/2 months now, my baby's growing up so fast,

*Brandy*

|
|
|

post #3 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-14-2004, 03:54 PM Thread Starter
Miss New Booty

Yup, that is Rebel's birthday, 4th of July, I remember you telling me! Yah, I was hoping Kahlua wouldn't keep lifting his leg in the house and luckily that went away.
I have never heard of anyone I know (unless there would be other issues or something) having to keep their dog/cat there overnight. I'm sure Claire would be able to come right home. I couldn't bear the thought of leaving her there, in the cold dark cage, missing us. That whole thing made me so upset.

Awwww your poor Max, I know you miss him so much.

~* Jackie *~

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-14-2004, 04:03 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

I had a few people I know whos vet told them their female needed to stay overnight, can't remember why, it's been a long time but they had to. I wonder how much it costs to spay a small dog now, I got Rebel neutered at school for 20.00, isn't that a deal. Our Dr. P did it, we have clinicals during Jan and we get to bring out dogs/cats in to have things like that done so we get the experience of assisting in surgery and suturing the incision site closed. It is really wild, we were fixing our cats and dogs at school last sememster and I got to watch a male beagle get neutered. It would make me sooo sad though, when they would wake up they would cry so loud, it just broke my heart. We would hold them and cuddle them but they would still cry. I had wondered if it hurt them or something, but we pre-anesthetized them with drugs that are supposed to help with the pain afterward. I think they were just afraid, I hope, the beagles were being little sissy boys, they would whine when we drew their blood. Still makes me feel for them, you know?

*Brandy*

|
|
|

post #5 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-14-2004, 04:06 PM
Incubator Cricket Killer

When I asked my normal vet about spaying and neutering, he tried to tell me that they (Scrappy and the kittens) would have to stay over night. I called alot of good vets and that seemed to be directly related to how much they charge!

post #6 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-14-2004, 04:14 PM Thread Starter
Miss New Booty

Awwwww, I know what you mean.
As for prices, I have no idea if it varies for location or what... but Kahlua's came to almost $100 something, I believe.
Jasmine and Penny were around $120 if I remember right! More for spaying girls. Plus, the fluids during surgery, the actual surgery, the meds, the waste charge fees, all added up.(For Kahlua,too)
Wow $20 for Reb's sure is a good deal!
Exactly Becki! They were going to charge me so much more for Penny to stay there over night. I was already at around $120, plus who knows what for boarding!
Kahlua, Jasmine, and Smokie (my cat) each were dropped off around 8 am. They called around 2-3 to let me know everything went great, come some time between 5-6 to pick them up. Same with Penny, they just told me she was staying, and I said No. When they went back to tell the Dr. he didn't insist on anything, the lady came right back out and told me it was fine.
I wonder about some of these places.

~* Jackie *~

post #7 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-14-2004, 04:20 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Thanks so much you guys I have been through many spays and neuters over the years with my dogs and cats. The last time I went through having a dog spayed was when I had Collies. I've had both Abby and Sammie (female kitties) spayed and they both did just fine. Jack was neutered at 4 months old and he didn't even blink.
I worry more about spaying because it's major abdominal surgery - they are under the anesthesia longer and it's just downright more painful Plus, she is so darn small.

Brandy, I think you are making a good decision by having Claire spayed. To me, if you aren't going to show her for conformation or breed her - it just makes good common sense.

I've also read that Toy breeds mature slower than large breeds - is this true? When they say *mature* - are they referring to sexual maturity? I'm just curious - and I suppose I will find out next week when I see my vet with Remy, when he feels she'll be able to be spayed.

Here is why I am overly concerned with this issue! Max - my 9 month old Brittany is in tact! He is proving himself in the field (he's just outstanding for his age - it's awesome) - and he is an excellent Brittany as far as breed conformation goes. He's just a gorgeous Brittany! My in-laws have been breeding this line for over thirty years - creating a long line of field champs as well as conformation champs. Max will be bred when the time is right. Believe me, if he had any major faults as far as breed standard or he wasn't excelling in the field I would have him neutered tomorrow!

Anyway - if Remy starts to mature and it kicks Max's testosterone over the edge my life will be a living ****!
I will bring this concern to my vet also.

Jackie - I've always brought my dogs or cats home the day of the procedure. I do remember leaving one of my Collies overnight when she was spayed - I didn't know as much as I do now and it was their procedure. I just went along with it. Knowing what I do now - I'm with you - If all has gone as planned and the pup is doing fine I would much rather have her curled up with me so I can keep my eye on her and comfort her, etc. I am glad you pushed the issue and took her home!

[center]

[
post #8 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-14-2004, 04:38 PM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Deja, I would really love to show Claire in conformation, I just don't know how long it would be before I did. I don't know much at all about it so, I just decided it's the best thing to do for her and me. I will have another doxie one day and I can show that one. Claire and Rebel will just be my big spoil us rotten babies! hehe Those fees add up don't they, I need to ask the vet, whom I want to work for, lol, how much they charge. I am going to start taking my pets there once I move and hopefully they will hire because they see me lots and I am qualified, giggle, getting my foot in the door.

*Brandy*

|
|
|

post #9 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-14-2004, 04:56 PM Thread Starter
Miss New Booty

Oppsie, I just realized I made a typo... I meant that Jasmine went into heat at 9 months ( I said she was fixed at 9 months) She was actually fixed at 1 yrs old.
Hmmm, Linda I don't know about large breed dogs maturing faster than small breeds? Hmmmm...
As far as Remy and Max... I would talk to my vet and see what's best. I would definately say the norm, about 6 months would probably be good. Jasmine went into heat about 9 months, but my plan was to get her spayed at 6 months, the vet just wanted to wait b/c of the tests she was undergoing. She was so small, too. She is only 6 lbs now. I think if you trust your vet, everything will be ok.
They say the earliest they can go into heat is *I believe* 6 months all the way up until 1 years old. Penny was 7 months, and I thought she was kind of early.
Jasmine did great, (prob. better than my doxies! I know better than Kahlua, poor Kahlua, he was sooo down. ) she was just out of sorts that night but healed great and was eating normal the next day. I'm sure Remy will do just fine!

Do you know what Jasmine did (and STILL does) after going into heat? She, the girl dog, humps the other dogs!? I thought this was a boy dog thing?!?!?!? She still does it. Kahlua hardly did that at all before I got him fixed, or Penny. They will both do that on a rare occasion now, maybe after watching Jasmine!
I really put my foot down on that, with taking Penny home. We were insistant that she come home, and I'm so glad she did.

~* Jackie *~

post #10 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-14-2004, 05:50 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Jackie - I am picturing that little pipsqueak being a big bad hussy and humping the other dogs!

When dogs that live together (their pack) do this - (mount and hump) it is not a sexual display at all. It's a vie for dominance. It's only Jasmine saying "Hey, I'm top dog and you better not question my authority!"

They will all do this from time to time - males and females both - just as a display of dominance.

Max does it to Jack - it is SO funny - I shouldn't laugh - I make them stop when any mounting behavior starts - which it is bound to during rough rowdy play sessions... the funny thing is - Max is half the size of Jack - so the easiest way to mount Jack - is to hump Jack's head

Jack has been a little depressed Max is so, so infatuated with Remy - he loves her - he is so gentle with her - they play and he noses her little belly and she nips him all over the face while he sits there looking at me for direction! Jack - well I think he feels like he is losing his best friend, Max. Jack will sniff Remy and Remy loves Jack's big tail (I have notices she LOVES light colored hair! Her mom maybe?) Jack will sit there and look at me, almost pleading - "Mom! Get her off me!!" LOL

I am pretty sure that a female was the better choice! After seeing them all interact, I really think bringing in a male may have set off some dominance behaviors. Little Remster just seems to be setting off their mothering instincts! Yah, my boys are dorks. LOL

[center]

[
post #11 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-14-2004, 06:04 PM
I Think I Need a Bigger Bear

Jackie - Snooper has been humping Manto and when it first started I sent off a frantic e-mail to Deja asking what on earth was going on. When she told me it was a dominence thing it made total sense. Snooper has been here for over 6 years and I guess she's trying to show Manto who's in charge.

~ Jodi ~

post #12 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-14-2004, 06:06 PM Thread Starter
Miss New Booty

OH are you serious, that is what that behavior is all about?!?!?! I just assumed it had something to do with after she went into heat is when she first did it!?!?! lol! She will hump poor Penny and Kahlua in the head, too!! I'm like "Jasmine!!! STOP THAT!" lol!!!
Awww she loves Jack's tail! Jack tail is probably bigger than little Remy! Poor Jack though, thinks he is losing his buddy Max.

About dominance issues...I have heard 2 female dogs will fight more than 2 males, or 1 male/ 1 female. Is this true?

LOL Jodi!!!!!! Snooper, you tell em' who's boss!!!!

~* Jackie *~

post #13 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-14-2004, 06:59 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Jackie - I honestly don't know if 2 females would fight more than 2 males - or more than 1 female and 1 male.... hrrrrm!

I have to be honest - when Jodi emailed me about Snooper humping Manto I just had to crack up at the visual
It really is disturbing to see our little babies doing that though!!

[center]

[
post #14 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-14-2004, 07:02 PM
I Think I Need a Bigger Bear

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deja
It really is disturbing to see our little babies doing that though!!
Especially the intense look on her face!

~ Jodi ~

post #15 of 30 (permalink) Old 01-14-2004, 07:12 PM
Incubator Cricket Killer

Claudia is a humper too!! Poor Scrappy Scrappy has been pushing the dominance thing lately though, so I usually let Claudia put her in her place

Tags
adoption fee, animal hospital, boston terrier, breed dogs, dog owners, doing fine, ear infection, heat cycle, male cat, older dog, vet clinic, vet tech