Speaking of Stray Dog Attractions.... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-26-2004, 09:50 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Speaking of Stray Dog Attractions....

I've got a lot of studying to do before I'll be any good at identifying most breeds but my first guess is some form of Australian Cattle Dog??

Since so many of you seem to be my real life neighbor...maybe you'll recognize this old lady....

She showed up in our garbage tonight (Oviedo FL)... has plenty of fleas/ticks and appears to be up there in age with possible cataracts in both eyes... VERY MELLOW and friendly with a pooch belly and possibly a sore back leg or hips...

She is wearing a choker collar and two rabies tags dated 2003 and 2004 for Tuskawilla animal hospital so we'll call them in the morning in hopes of finding her owner.

She's in our outdoor kennel right now since my own dogs would love to "play with her".... She's not happy about it and barking in hopes of being freed

The pics are terrible but it's late and dark.

All of them can be viewed at:
http://www.picolio.com/Gallery/view_...trayDogAug2604

Wish us luck in a) finding her owners and b) let's hope they are decent folks who will do right by her. She's too old to be dissed on now.... I'll probably see if she'll let me bathe her in the morning. She needs it bad....

With all of the fences down from Hurricane Charley around here I've a feeling there are plenty of furry friends running around :/

- Deb

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-26-2004, 10:04 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

The poor girl. I'm glad she's safe with you tonight. Good luck finding her owners and please let us know what happens.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Rhonda

post #3 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-26-2004, 10:06 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Goodluck with finding her owner. It's very kind of you!

:-)
1 rabbit, 6 rats, 1 conure, 1 cockatiel, 1 lovebird, 1 cockroach

- Bracelets, Beads + Supplies!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-26-2004, 10:24 PM
Formerly Known as Roz

I'm thinking Cattle Dog x Greyhound but who knows? It's hard to say.

Hope you have no problem returning her to her owners. I also hope her current state is not becuase she has crappy owners.

-

"They that can give up essential liberty for a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin
post #5 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-26-2004, 10:40 PM
Miss New Booty

Oh no Deb!!! How very sad! I'm just so glad she wandered into your yard. I hope when you call tomorrow you can find her owners. Keep us posted!

~* Jackie *~

post #6 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-26-2004, 11:29 PM
Wacky Chimpnose

yes, do keep us posted! she's lucky to have found you for the night.

post #7 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-27-2004, 07:13 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

Well keep your fingers crossed...this girl needs some quick prayers in hopes of a quick reuninon :/

The animal hospital her tags are from apparently lost their old computer data. When I provided the rabies tag number she said "If we had our old computer I could tell you who owns the dog but I don't have that info anymore. Let me see what I can dig up and call you back"

I'm hoping she's able to "dig something up" sooner rather than later...this old lady seems like an indoor dog and I'd like to see her snuggle up in her bed sooner rather than later.

She wouldn't even "tinkle" in the kennel. Had to take her for a walk at 3am to let her go to the bathroom. What a great gal!!!

Oddly enough.... our own dogs have never used that kennel...but we sure do seem to have a lot of strays treating it like the Motel 6 lol It's just a 10ft X 10ft X 6ft high chainlink kennel with concrete slab underneath.... thankfully the trees around it, and it itself, were left alone by Charley....guess he knew we'd need it lol

- Deb

post #8 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-27-2004, 07:59 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

UGH

The vet doesn't have her info

The only semi-match they could find was a Beagle with an address change of Illinois

She's def not a Beagle and there's no ph# for the Illinois folks

I'm going to see if I can have her scanned at our vet today just in case she's chipped but something has me thinking she's probably not.... who knows though :/

I'll also start printing up some posters and see what it'll take to put an ad in the paper

She really doesn't appear to have been stray all that long but she does need attention. I also don't think her eyes were as bad as I thought last night. Must have been the night lighting that made them look so bad cuz this morning I can see that they are a pretty brown....

Took her for a walk but she didn't lead us anywhere :/

- Deb

post #9 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-27-2004, 08:57 AM
Fluffy Potatokisser

Hmmm...she's wearing a rabies tag listing 2004? It'll take some time but they should be able to do a cross search through the 2004 rabies certificates...I know mine is a carbon copy and the vet keeps the originals in case something happens to their computer files...Hopefully she's chipped though...let us know!

Chin Mom to Lila, Skye, Ty, Rolex, Calypso, Lizzie, Jax, Sam, Sage, Lorenzo, Spitfire, Holly, Dylan, Leia, Punky, Kylie, Skylar, Jetta, Oreo, Emma, Forest, Georgie, Alexis, Picador and all the kits!
Pittie Mom to Kali and Orion
Rattie Mom to Drake and Dumbo
Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Plain ole Mom to Zach, Brandon and Connor!
Come visit us at
post #10 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-27-2004, 09:19 AM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

We've got an appt at noon to go ahead and get Samson his shots and bring this gal in for a scan. I have also printed up some posters to scatter around on our way out....

Hopefully she'll have found her home this weekend...but if not I'll head to the shelters on Monday to start filing the found dog reports.

Her tail goes under and she gets REAL SCARED (shaking and all) when she hears my dogs bark at her so I'd hate to see her in a shelter... Hopefully just keeping her cozy here for a bit will be all that's required.

If not.... we'll try to find her a home. She'd be awesome for an older couple as she is VERY GENTLE and calm. She just wants to lay her head down on your lap and be pet...

- Deb

post #11 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-27-2004, 09:56 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

You may want to call animal control and ask if they have her number on file. Our county requires all rabies vaccines to be listed at animal control - they may be able to cross reference her for you.

Good luck with her, Deb! She sounds so sweet!

Stephanie

post #12 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-27-2004, 12:22 PM Thread Starter
Movin' Up in the Pack

"Toffy" is HOME

We took her to the vet and had her scanned with two different types of scanners... we got nothing.

She did GREAT at the vet and at petsmart and in the truck...just a sweetheart...

We took her around and hung up several posters etc....

Then we came home and upon letting her out of the truck she decided she wanted to go for a walk. So I let her lead the leash again and just followed along.

When we got to a certain sidewalk this old lady started to sprint.... which for her is a "normal walking human pace" lol

We "sprinted" a few blocks and then she took a turn and we sprinted a few more blocks... but then our sidewalk was blocked by the downed trees so I had to tug her a bit to get around them. Once off our sidewalk she got "confused" and slowed way down again. Upon getting her back to her sidewalk she began sprinting again until FINALLY she walked up a driveway and straight to the front door.

Fine then.... all sweaty and tired at this point lol (hey! It's Florida...it's Humid out there!) we rang the bell..... but no one answered. We knocked.... but no one answered.

So I had to plead with her to leave the driveway so we could ring the neighbor's bell and thankfully the neighbor was home and said "That's Toffy! Our Neighbor's dog!"

We walked toffy back to the home she so badly wanted to be at and into the backyard. We pushed the doggy door of the porch open and in she went...and then straight to the doggy door of the main home where she disappeared until you noted she had immediately crashed out on her doggy bed by the window lol.

With all of her activity since last night I think she'll sleep until her parents get home.

The neighbors locked the porch door back up after bringing some food and water over just in case and we left a note for the owners explaining that Toffy's tags are bad etc...

So the neighbor is keeping an eye out for them and Toffy is sleeping in her own bed

- Deb

post #13 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-27-2004, 12:24 PM
Misses Her Smilie Titles

Wow, that's great news!

She was so lucky you found her and never gave up looking!
post #14 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-27-2004, 12:36 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

That's great news! That's great that you helped her and her owners out.

:-)
1 rabbit, 6 rats, 1 conure, 1 cockatiel, 1 lovebird, 1 cockroach

- Bracelets, Beads + Supplies!
post #15 of 24 (permalink) Old 08-27-2004, 04:30 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

That's great news!!!

Too lazy to even think of a siggy

Tags
animal control, animal hospital, australian cattle dog, cattle dog