STAFFS/PITTS "Dangerous" Dogs? - Help / Thoughts? - Page 4 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #46 of 78 (permalink) Old 03-13-2008, 08:53 AM
Guarded by Waffles

I love the one where the dog is licking the babies foot! APBT? American Pitt Bull Terrier? I have one and she is the sweetest dog! We trusted her over our other dog because our other dog was a little nutty

Christine
Mommy to:
2 cats: Suess and Jezebel
2 horses: Winter and Junior
3 dogs: Panda, Maggie, Snoopy

And the rest:
5 cows, a bull and one mean buffalo

Gone but not forgotten:
Jester, cat
Waffles, dog
Gunny, ferret

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Check out
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #47 of 78 (permalink) Old 03-13-2008, 09:38 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Your brindle dog looks darling, Marty. My dachshund Harvey is a brindle and I think he thinks he is a big dog like that. Brindles are very handsome. You dogs look very sweet.

--------------------
~Marcia

--------------------------

post #48 of 78 (permalink) Old 03-13-2008, 05:39 PM
RAT ADDICT

Marty you have some gorgeous dogs!!
Brindles are a favorite of mine!!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #49 of 78 (permalink) Old 03-13-2008, 10:31 PM

Thanks for all the comments, we/I take great pride in all our dogs
post #50 of 78 (permalink) Old 08-09-2008, 10:47 AM

I realize this is an older post but I would like to add I have been around this breed for over 15 years and I have yet to be attacked by one of them. It is true they do have a high pain tolerance but they are NOT instinctively aggressive toward people, I regretfully admit I understand some of the leeriness when it comes to these dogs and the people that do not know the breed first hand, but time and time again I have seen people get to know my dog or others and the negative mind site quickly goes away. I would suggets to anyone to find someone you know with one of these dogs and get to know them for yourself you will be glad you did.
post #51 of 78 (permalink) Old 07-07-2009, 11:29 PM

Pit Bulls

I was bit in the face by a Boxer when I was 4 years old. It never kept me from loving Boxers and it sure as **** didn't warp my mind to hate all Boxers.
..and by the way...instead of banning certain breeds, make it a felony on the owner or handler at the time of the crime and charge them with a class a felony such as assault with a deadly weapon. Banning pit bulls is like banning all white men ages 24-45 because they constitute around 85 per cent of all serial killers. So let's get rid of those white men just like they want to get rid of pit bulls.
post #52 of 78 (permalink) Old 07-07-2009, 11:59 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvMeBre View Post
This is what people who hate pitties do to them, they don't understand them. Some of these dogs died, and others lived and found new homes, where, despite their hatred past, they loved their family more then anything.

My pittie, Budman, was beat with beer bottles to the head, and he still loved people. He never bit anyone in his whole entire life.
Oh my god! Those pictures scare me! If that isn't terrible than I don't know what is.

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #53 of 78 (permalink) Old 07-09-2009, 10:40 PM
Adolescent Pup

Sorry for your bad incident. This can happen with any breed of dog. Not just pit bulls. Dogs might not be socialized properly, or they might not be bred properly. You can't guarantee that all dogs of any breed are stable.

Often before an attack their are warning signs. Usually it is not out of no where. While it probably doesn't matter to you at the time when you were a child in the park there are things to consider, more then just breed. As for breed was the dog even a pure bred Pit Bull? Were they socialize? What was their environment/training like? How were they bred? This dog also did give some warning, barking and such. Though it is not a proper temperament for the breed. It is the owners fault for having their dog loose, especially one which is aggressive running free around children.

I'm sorry for what you and your dog went through after the Staffy attack. What lead up to it......were they playing together (you said it turned suddenly, out of no where, unprovoked) then a fight started, was a strange dog that just ran over and attacked your dog, was a friends dog who was fine then grabbed your dog.... Dog aggression and human aggression are separate (though some dogs display both) there are different reasons why a dog might attack another. No matter breed, just like aggression towards a human, any breed could show aggression to another dog. The reasons why can be many and you have to look at the situation. If you take breed into account the Staffy was probably not "sckitzo". Pit bulls can be tenacious and very determined, just as much as smaller terrier breeds, but when the drive is towards another dog it is obviously not the greatest as you found out. Most terriers were bred to hunt, hold, more then likely kill the prey, to keep vermin down. A terrier killing a rat is really no different then your cat killing a mouse. Terriers do not give up easy, they are full of determination. Even smaller terriers that were not used for dog fighting can get into a fight at times, these can be very serious. A dog even friendly might not always get along with every dog they meet.

As for history, it is true they were bred for fighting. Though for those who want to point that out as something bad they shouldn't forget the good parts of their temperament. It is not grand that your dog was attacked by a Staffy nor that they were used for bloodsport. But they did have a stable temperament that flourished in most dogs. Not only true of APBTs, but I also hear of SBT being the same. Friendly towards people, loving of children, placed in the pram with the baby on the way back from a fight as not at all being unheard of. The dog was to be trusted with their family, normally social around other people, had to take medical care after a fight without biting the person trying to sew them up, ect. Because of how closely they worked with humans and some requirements of them, they came to be a loving, loyal type of dogs. Pit Bulls can take very bad treatment and still come out loving humans. Not all have this temperament though as we see, some are a danger to people around them. Even their own family. This happens with popularity because of poor breeding and irresponsible ownership.

I also wouldn't say that they are not bred or at least used for anything else. Sure I can look in my dogs pedigrees and see fighters, but I can also see dogs bred for conformation, hunting, weight pull, ect. There are also Pits used for search and rescue, in law enforcement, as service dogs, therapy dogs, ect, ect. In working situations and sporting/competitions too (agility, obedience, ect) their drive and determination is actually a very good thing to have. Along with the quick rate many can learn and will obey. That part of them might not make them good pets for everyone, at least those which posess a more working geared temperament, but that is true of many high drive breeds. These breeds can often find themselves in touble because of lack of responsible ownership. They are not kept contained, not given socialization, not given an outlet (like mental stimulation and exercise), their needs are not understood by the owner nor the traits they have.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LuvMeBre View Post
Take a look at the pictures, the first two are of my pittie, Budman who we found a new home because of his hyperness, but he is very lovable and a great dog, very gentle, too! The third picture is of my friend's beautiful and loving pittie, Blu.

My dog, Budman
That not a Pit Bull. If anything it is a mix with Pit Bull. I would say Pit Bull mix if you knew that one of the parents was a Pit Bull. Cute dog though, brindle is really a favorite of mine.

It looks like a shepherd mix, GSD perhaps. The coat type, tail and then the ears along with that are what lends the look of shepherd mix and not of a Pit Bull. Pits do not have that coat type.

Which is another problem with this breed. Identification if it is short haired and muscular its a Pit. If it's brindle its a Pit. If it has a red nose its a Pit.

Another issue is of mixes not being called so. For some it doesn't matter if it is a mix, it must be the Pit part that made the dog bad and attack. But for serious data it does matter how many pure breds attack vs how many mixes of that breed.

I also can't imagine getting rid of a dog because of their activity level - "hyperness".

Check Them Out

post #54 of 78 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 01:32 AM

I completely agree with Spicy_Bulldog.

I've always owned APBT's and have never had any sort of incident.

Just thought I'd share some pics

post #55 of 78 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 02:46 AM
The Title Fairy Was Here

gorgeous pictures in the last post, i'd love to own a proper pit bull, i so wish they weren't banned, suppose i'll have to do with my look a likes

Come see more of my fur babies at
post #56 of 78 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by storminstaffs View Post
gorgeous pictures in the last post, i'd love to own a proper pit bull, i so wish they weren't banned, suppose i'll have to do with my look a likes
Your dogs are adorable! Ugh but I can't imagine living somewhere where pits are banned. If they banned pit bulls here, I would move in a heartbeat. Sorry that you have to deal with BSL, that's such crap....
post #57 of 78 (permalink) Old 07-10-2009, 07:27 PM
Eli
Movin' Up in the Pack

I love pitbulls, but I understand how people can be scared of the m. They look scarey, some of them are scarey.
post #58 of 78 (permalink) Old 07-11-2009, 02:35 PM
RAT ADDICT

Great post as usual Spicy!
Shannon - your dogs are cute!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #59 of 78 (permalink) Old 07-14-2009, 08:56 PM
Betta Bomb

Do pitts regularly lie in such a fashoin that their back laegs are flat like that?? Thats so cute! Personally I think theyre cuter and less intimidating looking with their ears uncut but ear cropping is WHOLE OTHER issue. This is a seriously old thread, are we allowed to keep it up?
post #60 of 78 (permalink) Old 07-14-2009, 11:35 PM

I'm not sure if its a pit bull thing to lay like that, but my dogs all do it, haha. The pic of my 2 girls laying like that next to eachother, they were actually doing a trick, they were "Army crawling" so I was taking pics haha. That's why Gwen was in her camo shirt hehe.

Tags
animal shelter, broken leg, bull terrier, bull terriers, bully breeds, dog park, family dog, german shepard, golden retriever, humane society, local animal shelter, local humane society, local shelter, pit bull, pit bull terrier, pit bull terriers, pit bulls, terrier mix