STAFFS/PITTS "Dangerous" Dogs? - Help / Thoughts? - Page 5 - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #61 of 78 (permalink) Old 07-15-2009, 12:17 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

pitts do it alot, so do poodles. some breeds are flexible like that, others like labs hardly ever do it when they aren't puppies their legs aren't as flexible

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 78 (permalink) Old 07-15-2009, 01:17 AM

Ahh, thanks for that info, that makes sense.
post #63 of 78 (permalink) Old 07-15-2009, 11:49 AM
RAT ADDICT

This thread is okay to stay up,because there is some good information in here.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #64 of 78 (permalink) Old 07-16-2009, 12:02 AM
Betta Bomb

Oh my!! "Army Crawling"!! That has to be the cutest ever!! I also love the added army shirt! Dressed for the part
post #65 of 78 (permalink) Old 07-16-2009, 12:48 AM
Amateur Zookeeper

Breeds of dogs have reputations, I guess we will put it like that, but that doesn't mean that there won't be some that don't act like that. Just because most people believe that pit bulls are dangerous, doesn't mean that they all are. Does that make sense?

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #66 of 78 (permalink) Old 07-16-2009, 10:59 AM
Adolescent Pup

Shannon your dogs are beautiful! I really like the red nose, is she brindle? Oh I like the dark brindle too, lovely color and coat. The pup grew up beautiful too.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple-Hops View Post
Do pitts regularly lie in such a fashoin that their back laegs are flat like that?? Thats so cute! Personally I think theyre cuter and less intimidating looking with their ears uncut but ear cropping is WHOLE OTHER issue. This is a seriously old thread, are we allowed to keep it up?
Yes Pits will often lay like that. Mine do it a lot and sometimes drag their legs behind them like a mermaid or something as they rub their bellies across the floor. I used to think it was a Pit Bull thing until there was a thread started on it and a lot of other breeds do it too, where the owners as well thought it was a Rott or Goldern, ect thing.

Here are a couple of my pics also

trying out the harness, but its still a little big (she's only 4 months old so plenty of time to grow)

she see's daddy over there, that is why she looked that way

He's all happy!

well i've got tons of pics so i dont want to hog the thread or anything

Check Them Out

post #67 of 78 (permalink) Old 07-16-2009, 01:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spicy_Bulldog View Post
I really like the red nose, is she brindle?
Yup she is brindle.

Aw your dogs are adorable! Are you going to do weight pulling with the pup someday? And I LOVE your white male, he is beautiful. I'm a sucker for white pitties haha.
post #68 of 78 (permalink) Old 07-16-2009, 01:35 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

do white pitts have the same chance as white boxers at being deaf?

[/CENTER]

post #69 of 78 (permalink) Old 07-16-2009, 05:58 PM

From what I've heard, Pits shouldn't ever be completely white. I've heard that they have the chance of being deaf if they are more than 75% white or something like that. Pure white isn't a "natural" color for purebred pit bulls, at least it didn't used to be.
post #70 of 78 (permalink) Old 07-16-2009, 06:11 PM
Amateur Zookeeper

Wow that tan colored one of yours spicy_bulldog is gorgeous! I love her baby face!

Purr more, Hiss less

Proud Owner to:
2 girl rats~Marlie and Lola
2 male cats~Scout and Oscar
1 girl dog~Kusa

Always in my heart, my baby girls

Rest in Peace Cleo, Lucy, Snickers, Maya, and Maggie

post #71 of 78 (permalink) Old 07-17-2009, 07:47 PM
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShannonMarie View Post
Yup she is brindle.

Aw your dogs are adorable! Are you going to do weight pulling with the pup someday? And I LOVE your white male, he is beautiful. I'm a sucker for white pitties haha.
Neat! I could kind of see it but wasn't sure. The light red red nose pups sister is buckskin brindle red nose and her brother is red red nose.

Thanks for the complements. I might do weight pulling with her but I'm not quite sure how well she likes it. We are doing conformation first. Her sister seemed to catch on quick and enjoy herself in the harness. Her brother is just a little "loony", he is fine with it but don't think he gets the concept so it is hard to say how he will respond when he is older and when weight is heavy, ect. He was just running around crazy.

The white male has come to the end of his show career so at the last show I decided to see how he would like weight pull. I put him in and he enjoyed it a lot. He surprised me and pulled 2790lbs and took a 1st place. So I think with training for him to understand that he CAN do it in his mind and physically conditioning to build strength and get him in shape he has a chance to do much better. So I'm very happy. He loves going to shows and gets very upset if he has to stay home.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendalle View Post
do white pitts have the same chance as white boxers at being deaf?
No not really overall. It depends on genetics, some breeds are carriers for the genetics which will produce the deaf dogs. For the most part it is not a huge concern with APBTs. It depends on the type of white. The reason why white dogs or dogs with white ears/head can be deaf is because of lack of pigment in the inner ear. In turn they loose their sensory hair cells and sound can't be transmitted and send to the brain. Breeds like Boxers and Dalmatians typically have these genes and have a likelihood of producing deafness. Where other breeds might produce white but normally not the same white, the dog has the pigment cells so they won't be deaf. I've known a few white deaf Pits though so it is possibly. It is just not very common, same with several other breeds out there.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShannonMarie View Post
From what I've heard, Pits shouldn't ever be completely white. I've heard that they have the chance of being deaf if they are more than 75% white or something like that. Pure white isn't a "natural" color for purebred pit bulls, at least it didn't used to be.
Pits so many myths so little time. I'd have to laugh in the persons face who said they shouldn't be white and were never white.

That is not true at all. Whoever said that is full of it. They reason they can be deaf is if they lack pigment in the inner ear, which means they could be a lot less then 75% and be deaf. If they are a dog with a solid colored body but white head they could be deaf. There are deaf colored Boxers also because of the same gene, the more breeders chose to breed white Boxers and infect the rest of the gene pool the more deaf Boxers we will see of both variety.

It in no way true that white Pits are not pure bred. Or that Pits "didn't used to be" white. GR CH Richmond himself was white and was one of the earliest dogs imported. I'd imagine he's in most any APBTs pedigree today. Then the other early dogs like GR CH Duffy's Jack and GR CH Armitage's Kager. And of course many of Colby's dogs had flashy white markings, more then 75% up to being solid white. It is not logical to think a dog which can produce flashy white markings can't be almost all white or solid white since the gene can do as it pleases. If you breed 2 nearly solid colored dogs together they can produce white pups.

If pure bred Pit Bulls don't come in white then there is no such thing as a pure bred Pit Bull because several of the early foundation dogs brought to this country were white with spots or even solid white.

Then to look at their likely genetic background of being a mix of bulldog and terrier. Many claim the english WHITE terrier is responsible for the terrier part. Bulldogs often had white markings or could be white dogs. The ancestor of bulldogs thought to be the molossers could be white as well, it is said that the Alaunt could often be white, there were no shortage of them.

Therefore my dogs are not mutts, thank you very much! Their white coat does not dictate a pure or mixed lineage.

(ETA: The only color which isn't acceptable and thought to be brought in by mixed breeding is merle)

Check Them Out

Last edited by Spicy_Bulldog; 07-17-2009 at 07:51 PM.
post #72 of 78 (permalink) Old 07-17-2009, 08:00 PM
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrWoodyspets View Post
Wow that tan colored one of yours spicy_bulldog is gorgeous! I love her baby face!
Thanks she is a real sweetheart

Check Them Out

post #73 of 78 (permalink) Old 07-17-2009, 08:04 PM
RAT ADDICT

Love your white "pit" Spicy!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #74 of 78 (permalink) Old 07-17-2009, 08:55 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Dalmations that are white on the ears even if they have black spots else where are often deaf.

Some call it lethal white in some breeds but i would be surprised if that is the right term at least in lethal white horses they almost always die.

[/CENTER]

post #75 of 78 (permalink) Old 07-17-2009, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spicy_Bulldog View Post
Therefore my dogs are not mutts, thank you very much!
I wasn't saying that at all! I "heard" that somewhere, wasn't sure if it was true or not. I kind of worded it wrong and it sounded like I was stating a fact, when I wasn't. I, personally, LOVE white pits. It's my favorite color, along with blue, on pit bulls. But I haven't found any white pit bulls for sale out here so far.

Your dogs are beautiful, and wow your boy is strong! I wonder what my boy could pull if I started training him with weights! He's pretty much just been a big spoiled baby his whole life.

Tags
animal shelter, broken leg, bull terrier, bull terriers, bully breeds, dog park, family dog, german shepard, golden retriever, humane society, local animal shelter, local humane society, local shelter, pit bull, pit bull terrier, pit bull terriers, pit bulls, terrier mix