The stray - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-05-2005, 11:55 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

The stray

This morning when I went to put my dogs out there was a husky girl in my backyard. I crated my dogs and went out to chat with her. She was scared, tail tucked between her legs and barking at me but she didn't run away, I think she was saying I am scared, and cold I don't know you but your yard smells like I might get help here. I went inside and got her some milkbones, a bowl of food and some lukewarm water. We have been having teen degree weather and I was sure she was at best chilled.

She gobbled down a few milkbones from my hand, she was very gentle about it. It wasn't too long and she trusted me enough to come in my kitchen. After just spending that bit of time outside I was freezing and when I was able to pet her she sure felt cold. I called the animal patrol as she had no ID, I have never seen her in the neighborhood and she was so terribly thin and to top it off, around her neck was not a collar but a belt wrapped twice around and too tight. Her fur around her haunches looked like a bird in molting. I sat on the floor with her while waiting for the rescue people to come, she licked my face and eventually layed down a few times. I named her Luna.

I had enticed her into the house with some tuna that my silly cat could not resist the smell, I kept tossing the cat out of the kitchen, because HELLO cat this is a stray dog and I didn't want her to be mauled. BUT Luna wasn't iterested in either the tuna or the cat sitting near us eating the tuna. She was such a sweet girl.

The people showed up and took her, I just feel so sad, ok I am such a softie now I am crying. How can people take such awful care of their animals????????????? I imagine they will do a health check on her and they said since she isn't licensed they will only do a three day hold on her and I can call and see how she is.

I can't take in every animal that comes into my yard, I know. I also have a pretty busy house with the pets I do have, especially my two puppies. In an hour and half though this girl has really gotten to me. I will call and check on her, I do care about her, I am glad she came to me I am happy to help. I guess I will use these next few days to consider what to do. So far I see two options, 1.) add her to our family 2.) bring her here and try to find her a good home.

I keep thinking I would really like to volunteer at the animal shelter but I am afraid I'll end up bringing every one of them home with me.

I hope Luna is going to be ok.

My wonderful loves:
Emma, Xavier, SweetPea, Mr. Pickles, Mary Beth, Sheldon,Zena,Cadbury,Kapuah,Walter,Lou,Chip, Dilbert, Cartman, Gessepi,Miranda, Henry & Riker (my chins)/ Bunny, Little Cat,Clarissa (cats) , Lucy & Grace (Dappled Doxies) Simon (GSD puppy), Cookie (Australian Shepherd puppy), Captain Jack (cockatiel)
Bella Chinchillas
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-05-2005, 12:08 PM
Poo dont scare me!!!

I hope she is going to be ok too...and hopefully someone will scoop her up fast and want her in their family...unless you decide to do that, which it seems like you are making an option haha...hopefully in the next few days you will know what is best for you...hopefully this poor girl finds a home soon...people really can be cruel...Im glad she came to your yard too...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-05-2005, 05:58 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

I'm sorry. I know that must have been so hard to give her up. I once found a stray and kept her overnight so I could give her to a rescue. I got so attached to her in one night (and she got so attached to me too) that it broke my heart to give her up and I still regret it. I even tried to track her down after I moved to an apt. where I could have a dog, but she had been adopted out long before. I know how you feel.

Rats have rights...& mice too!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 01-06-2005, 01:04 AM
Wacky Chimpnose

oh i know how you feel (see my thread in cats). but it will make you feel better knowing she has a home, either with you or with someone else. you did such a good thing!!

Tags
animal shelter