Stray kennel fees - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-21-2005, 05:33 PM Thread Starter

Stray kennel fees

My mums dog escaped again and they tried to find it. They have now found it in a shelter.
They want £66 for him. They have allready paid £80 for him and £40 another time he got away.
He keeps on doing it no matter how hard they try and they feel they can not afford to keep getting him back from the shelter so now there is another stray in there.
Do you agree with charging so much?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-21-2005, 05:37 PM

I don't know what that converts to in usd, but it sounds like a bit.

Most shelters though, do charge an impound fee. Everytime that particular animal repeats the fee gets higher. They do it for good reasons though.

So, yeah I guess I agree with them charging whatever they feel is appropriate.
post #3 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-21-2005, 05:41 PM Thread Starter

I guess they should get him tattoed then they would bring him straight back.
My dog has one and we are getting the new puppy one or a chip.
I would die if I lost him after just getting him
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-21-2005, 10:13 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I don't think it's wrong at all. The shelter has to stay in business, and if a repeat offender keeps coming in, I absolutely agree with charging a fee. It's the owner's responsibility to contain their pet, no matter what it takes. It's usually illegal for an animal to be off it's property, so technically they're breaking the law.

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-21-2005, 10:23 PM

I totally agree with Chrisanne and Jade. I don't know how it works where you live, but tattooed or chipped doesn't matter when it comes to impound fees...breaking the law is breaking the law regardless if the dog is returned straight to the owner or stuck in a cage at the shelter. Keeping a dog contained shouldn't be that difficult. They could supervise him when he's outside, put up a higher fence, use an invisible fence system in addition to the regular fence, or leash him when he goes outside. I understand accidents happen, but continually happening, they are going to end up with a serioiusly injured dog or worse. Maybe suggesting ways to keep him contained would help? Also, is he neutered? Neutering may help keep him home as well Good luck
post #6 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-22-2005, 01:55 PM Thread Starter

He must have been a hunter dog before because he likes to chase and kill stuff.
They put up a huge fence but he dug under it.
My mum is an invalid so she is quite slow.
I just hope someone will be able to take him on and be able to teach him better.
post #7 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-22-2005, 01:57 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

So they're not picking him up?

Stephanie

post #8 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-22-2005, 02:02 PM Thread Starter

No.
He is too difficult for them to handle. He kills my dads racing pigeons and attacks the rabbit.
post #9 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-22-2005, 02:04 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

I hope they don't have an adoption/euthanasia time limit. The poor dog, now he'll either die or go to who knows who. What a shame your dad/mom couldn't bother to find him a new home.

Stephanie

post #10 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-22-2005, 02:07 PM

*shakes head* why not pick him up and find him a home? instead of leaving him in a shelter where he will probably be put down...
post #11 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-22-2005, 02:11 PM Thread Starter

They do not do that there ever.
That is where they got him from.
It is not a case that they can not be bothered it is they do not know anyone who would be able to look after him.
They have explained to the people what type of problems he has and next time they adopt him out they will understand ´what kind of household would be suitable for him like a farm or a person without other pets.
He has allready killed 2 pigeons
post #12 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-22-2005, 05:37 PM

Dump a dog and get a puppy. Now there is an idea. dogs need alot of training, and dogs with high prey drive if not trained and let to just roam aimlessly will end up killing. It is really too bad.
I guess I am a bit tainted as I volunteer for a shelter and the reasons people dump dogs always astounds me, If you dont want to bother training him then why should someone else want to bother?

Sorry.. that sounded ruder than I meant it., But puppies are more work than any dog I have ever fostered or had , you might really want to rethink the choice of getting another dog?
post #13 of 13 (permalink) Old 02-24-2005, 02:36 PM Thread Starter

The dog was not a puppy.
It was about 3 years old.
Someone dumped him there my mum rescued him but when she realised that she could not cope with him she did the sensible thing and let him stay there.
It is better for him to find a new home than to stay where he can not be looked after the way he needs.
Nobody she knows has a garden or the time to look after a dog and if she advertised him in the paper anyone could have got him.
At least in the shelter they can check things out and that.
She also paid over £250 to the shelter.