Stupid stupid dog! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-04-2008, 10:02 AM Thread Starter
Salamander Burgermuffin

Unhappy Stupid stupid dog!

Tanner killed Another bird in our backyard, its his 3rd one. bleh its so gross, i don't even want to look at him right now. and i know its instinct.. nature.. and the fact that he spent the first year of his life out in the country doesn't help much, but still.. I've never had a dog kill birds before, i didn't even think it was possible. are the birds here just that slow? my moms dogs would let the birds come up and eat out of there food dish, and never tried to catch them. i feel guilty too, because david bought me a bird feeder and we've been feeding the birds and trying to think of ways to bring more birds to our yard and now i wanna think of ways to keep them away or something.

Anyone have any ideas on getting him to stop killing birds? other than watching him every second. he was only outside for a few mins, i woke up let him out, went to the bathroom then when i came back to let him in he had legs sticking out of his mouth stupid dog!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Furry Family
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-04-2008, 10:57 AM

maby u can reward him for not killing birds with a treat like a small one when he comes inside???
post #3 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-04-2008, 12:11 PM

Are sure he is the one killing them and not a stray cat killing them in your yard and he is just helping himself to the left overs? I dont know how you would keep him from killing them if he is. This could become a big problem if he gets on that is sick and he consumes it.I have lived in the country with my dogs and they have never caught a bird...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-04-2008, 03:12 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

i have stories, heh,

my grandparents had a dog named buster, i don't know what kind he was he was a mutt, he was like 15 inches tall and 20 inches long and maybe 20 lbs. so not very big he used to catch everything!!! he caught many many little birds, crows (which are really smart!) phesents, ducks, ratcoons, squirrels EVERYTHING and killed it, so it is very possible.

Around here you can hire a guy with a falcon to come to your house, he has it on a rope and has it in the yard throws a baited rope thing around and the falcon chases it, and it keeps the birds from coming to your place.

the only way i can think of teaching him not to is to watch him close and yell when he is in the act, and yell if he kills one.

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-04-2008, 03:50 PM Thread Starter
Salamander Burgermuffin

Hetty - yes im sure hes the one killing them.. the first one we found in the yard, i thought maybe a cat killed it, because we had just gotten home and i went out to go close the gate before we let him out. but yeah, the second one, my boyfriends little cousin actually saw him catch it.

Kendalle - oh believe me i yelled when he got the one this morning.. lol im sure my neighbors kids are well educated now *oops*

When we first moved in we hardly ever had birds in our yard, our yard is just grass, so to birds its rather boring, but David bought me a bird feeder, and we put out a dish of water, and yay birds. but yeah.. then tanner.. and bleh. David said maybe when we plant a tree, the birds will have a place to get away quicker. And i will be trying to watch him from now on, but yeah, he cant be watched all the time. If david gets home early enough tonight we'll take tanner to his little play date thing and we'll ask his the trainer if she has any advice. One thing i read on another website said we could try putting a bell or something on his collar when hes outside, so he wont be able to sneak up on them.. altho i don't know how he would be sneaking up on them, he prolly just races around the yard and happens to catch one or something. i dunno. the whole thing is still gross. hes sucking up now too, working those big brown eyes of his, its impossible to stay mad at him, I'm just happy he doesn't like giving Kisses! is there a such thing as doggie mouth wash?

My Furry Family
post #6 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-04-2008, 10:28 PM
Dinky Corsetkisser

my dogs will leave the sparrows, robins, doves, crows and all the geese alone...but they do go after the blue birds and the mockingbirds (they hurt them first though mean birds) I have tried to get them to stop, but its what they are really...the crow will sleep with them lol, they just hate the blue birds and mockingbirds because those 2 birds are so agressive here...they beat up the cats and the dogs...I hope your birdies get faster, or the doggy gets bad at hunting lol...true about the kisses lol yuck

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

post #7 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-04-2008, 10:42 PM
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

I had a husky that killed everything in the yard but cats.

Is there anyway you can put the bird feeder up higher so when they fly away they're already too high for him to catch? It is instinct so it'll probably be really hard to get him to stop.
post #8 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-05-2008, 09:09 AM

Thats crazy I have never seen a dog catch a bird...You can get doggie mints we have them for deja she likes the cat box...yuck.Good Luck I hope you can get this solved I think planting a tree and a bell on his collar is a very good idea.
post #9 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-06-2008, 11:29 PM

We had a White German Shepherd/wolf or coyote mix that jumped up and caught birds in mid air. Sometimes 4or 5 feet off the ground. She would catch and eat them. We have a lot of mourning doves here. She loved to eat them. They are bigger and meatier. One time she chased a Road Runner but it was too fast for her to catch.
post #10 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-07-2008, 01:09 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

hehe i hope you named her Ryley

[/CENTER]

post #11 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-07-2008, 01:25 AM Thread Starter
Salamander Burgermuffin

meep meep

My Furry Family
post #12 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-09-2008, 02:36 PM

I believe its just innate in some dogs. I've often found it interesting that my dog was fast enough to catch a squirrel. Maybe he just has a hunter in him. Sorry, i'm not sure i was much help.
post #13 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-10-2008, 09:09 AM

my dog always chases birds and sqirrels but she's to slow to actually catch them! i think the bell might be a good idea because if he is sneaking up on them then he won't be able to any more. have you got tall fences round your garden becuase it could be that the bird don't have enough room to get high enough quick enough? sorry if i wasn't any help
post #14 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-12-2008, 06:49 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Last spring, after a big windstorm, Jake 'played' with quite a few baby birds. I think he thought they were interactive toys. I felt really bad but he didn't know what he was doing and the babies would most likely have died anyways, being out of the nest. Too many cats around here, they would have got them. I would just chase him around until he dropped them to get them away from him.
post #15 of 18 (permalink) Old 10-12-2008, 08:26 AM

Dad's giant schnauzer jumps in the air and catches birds.