Stupidest Excuse! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-21-2004, 08:49 AM Thread Starter
Fluffy Potatokisser

Angry Stupidest Excuse!

This is so stupid!
My friend Brandon was told on Friday that one of his pitbulls (Merc, Orion's father) had broken through the privacy fence into the neighbor's yard. Apparently Merc totally ignored the neighbors two pitbulls but scared their chihuahua to death. Literally! According to the necropsy, the chihuahua died of a heart attack! Supposedly the incident occurred on Tuesday, but:
A.) they weren't informed of the incident until Friday
B.) there are no holes in the privacy fence
C.) no signs of repair to the fence
D.) an adult Male IN TACT pitbull didn't even bother with the other two pits in that yard.
E.) the other two pits allowed him into the yard and didn't defend their territory
F.) no signs of attack to the chihuahua (no wounds what-so-ever)
G.) Merc and Aris are never left outside alone and supposedly Merc was outside when no one was home (they are crated when no one is home to prevent the house getting chewed up)
Does this sound fishy to you? Sounds to me like the neighbors are trying to get some money out of them and are using their OLD chihuahua's death as an excuse to get some!

Chin Mom to Lila, Skye, Ty, Rolex, Calypso, Lizzie, Jax, Sam, Sage, Lorenzo, Spitfire, Holly, Dylan, Leia, Punky, Kylie, Skylar, Jetta, Oreo, Emma, Forest, Georgie, Alexis, Picador and all the kits!
Pittie Mom to Kali and Orion
Rattie Mom to Drake and Dumbo
Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Plain ole Mom to Zach, Brandon and Connor!
Come visit us at
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-21-2004, 09:01 AM
Playful Pup

HMMMMMM....I think there's good reason to be doubting the neighbors' story. It sounds like your friend is a pretty responsible owner, and if there's no holes in the fence...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-21-2004, 09:08 AM
I Think I Need a Bigger Bear

Hmmm, who knows. But let me say in defense of the Chi. They can be very nervous and even a preceived attack (running at 'em) can seriously scare them... especially when you're just a little guy. Maybe the Chi's heart was weak and if a big Pit came running at him, it could've been enough to literally scare him to death. Just a thought.

~ Jodi ~

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-21-2004, 09:20 AM Thread Starter
Fluffy Potatokisser

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jodi
Hmmm, who knows. But let me say in defense of the Chi. They can be very nervous and even a preceived attack (running at 'em) can seriously scare them... especially when you're just a little guy. Maybe the Chi's heart was weak and if a big Pit came running at him, it could've been enough to literally scare him to death. Just a thought.
That would make sense if the dog was out...but Tuesday evening Brandon came home and they were in their crates...So, unless Merc, unlocked the crate, unlocked the back door, busted through the fence, scared the chi, came back through the fence, fixed it so that no one could tell it was ever broken, came back inside the house, closed and locked the door and then locked himself back in his kennel...I just don't see how Brandon or his dog could be held responsible. The chi lived with 2 pits and all 3 of the neighbors dogs were in the yard together when they found the chi dead. I have to assume that if the chi were frightened to death, it's not because of Merc. My best guess is that the neighbors pits were wrestling and it scared the chi...either that, or the chi was just old and had a heart attack. Either way, I highly doubt it was from Merc. As a matter of fact I KNOW Merc was in the kennel that day because I went over there and met Brandon at his house to use the computer. I got there before Brandon did and had to wait for him to unlock the doors. When we walked in, Merc and Aris were both beating their tails off the sides of their kennels in excitement! So, yeah! I was there to see the dogs in the kennels...It wasn't them.

Chin Mom to Lila, Skye, Ty, Rolex, Calypso, Lizzie, Jax, Sam, Sage, Lorenzo, Spitfire, Holly, Dylan, Leia, Punky, Kylie, Skylar, Jetta, Oreo, Emma, Forest, Georgie, Alexis, Picador and all the kits!
Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Come visit us at
post #5 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-21-2004, 12:11 PM
Playful Pup

It is always so much easier to blame someone else than face the truth

ABC Chinchillas- Email me at
post #6 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-21-2004, 12:21 PM
I Wish I Were a Snot Ball Shooter

That's the craziest thing I ever heard ! I betcha someone/something else scared that chi and the person responsible doesn't want to fess up to it.

A few years ago I had the "town weirdo" insist that my dog had pooped on the sidewalk in front of the post office, and when he yelled at him to go home, he watched him run home and head around to the backyard. I asked him if he'd witnessed him opening the gate, the back door, and locking himself back into his crate too - he was telling me this as I was getting home from work and hadn't even let the dogs out yet ! THEN, the next day, the guy at the post office gave me heck for my dog pooping there !

Are our dogs performing magic that only we don't see ???

Sharon
post #7 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-21-2004, 12:53 PM
I Think I Need a Bigger Bear

Sharon! My neighbor once insisted that "my" dog was coming in her yard... except she said it was a black dog and at that time I didn't have a black dog.
Maybe Snooper was changing from a white dog to a black dog??

~ Jodi ~

post #8 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-21-2004, 02:38 PM
Wacky Chimpnose

their story is so full of holes. if it ever comes to court, you can be your friend's witness.

post #9 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-21-2004, 02:49 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

That is just completely off the wall!!! There's no way it could have been Merc! That's just insane!

Owned by 26 chins, 7 cats, 2 dogs, and 7 aquariums

Come drop by!

post #10 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-21-2004, 03:39 PM
Formerly Known as Roz

Mandie,
That is 100% ridiculous! Something like that happened to a friend of mine and me, but no law suit came into play...

My friend's dog was always getting loose, and one day I saw her goldie, Becker, run into the neighbor's yard. Well, he ran around, having a blast (he was still a puppy.) He got their Japanese Spitz and their Yorkie all riled up, and the Spitz, snarling and barking, stepped on the Yorkie. I heard the Yorkie scream out in pain as it was stepped on, and managed to call Becker out of the yard. The next day I hear that the Yorkie died and that the Mrs. was blaming both me and the pup, Becker, for it's death.

Why I was blamed, I do not know. I saw Becker in her yard and called him out, not before damage was done, but I did get him out of her yard (without trespassing, so she couldn't yell at me for that) and took him home where he belonged. Certainly I didn't set Becker loose, nor did I aggrivate the situation. But there you go, it was me and Becker's fault. Oh, and his mom too.

I hope this whole ridiculousness blows over fast. Honestly, some people...

-

"They that can give up essential liberty for a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin
post #11 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-21-2004, 06:18 PM Thread Starter
Fluffy Potatokisser

I hope it doesn't go to court...the neighbors will be laughed out of the courtroom! Can you just imagine Judge Wapner of Animal Court's bewildered look as the neighbors explain why they don't have any evidence of the fence (10 foot tall privacy fence) being broken or repaired and explaining how exactly a male in-tact pitbull got out of his crate, out of the house, broke through the fence, didn't fight with the other two pitbulls (that's ridiculous in itself because like most male pits, Merc doens't like other male dogs his size or bigger) scared but didn't physically harm the chi (they used to have a little male min pin...Merc thought it was a puppy) then fixed the fence, came back in the house locking the door behind him and locked himself back in the kennel? Meanwhile, Merc sits on the table in the courtroom with his big wide pitty grin on his face!

Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Come visit us at
post #12 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-21-2004, 07:55 PM
Formerly Known as Roz

If they're smart, they won't take it to court, 'cause they WILL make themselves look completely ridiculous.

-

"They that can give up essential liberty for a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin
post #13 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-21-2004, 08:41 PM
Misses Her Smilie Titles

It's like Judge Judy where they have the stupidest cases. You could be on TV if you're a witness.

That's really dumb of their neighbors to blame your friend. How would they feel if they got blamed for something that they didn't have anything to do with? Always treat others the way you want to be treated. They should keep that in mind!
post #14 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-22-2004, 12:11 AM
Member formerly known as MistyLea21

Mandie, I would think it IS possible to be scared to death... however... there is indeed too many loop holes in this story! Sounds like another way to blame a pit for something. Sad thing is most uneducated people will believe them.
Thats like I told my neighbor about what happened to Nellie recently with the pit. I shoulda never mentioned what kind of dog it was he didnt say much and looked at me like I was blaming what happened to Nellie on it being a pit. It coulda been a friggin chihauhua for all I care!

Misty

Silver Mist Studios

Custom Designer Jewelry, Handmade Lampwork Glass Beads and More!

Eyes Of Texas Chinchillas

post #15 of 19 (permalink) Old 09-22-2004, 12:48 AM Thread Starter
Fluffy Potatokisser

Quote:
Originally Posted by EyesOfTXChins
Mandie, I would think it IS possible to be scared to death... however... there is indeed too many loop holes in this story! Sounds like another way to blame a pit for something. Sad thing is most uneducated people will believe them.
Thats like I told my neighbor about what happened to Nellie recently with the pit. I shoulda never mentioned what kind of dog it was he didnt say much and looked at me like I was blaming what happened to Nellie on it being a pit. It coulda been a friggin chihauhua for all I care!
I didn't say it wasn't possible for a dog to be frightened to death...a friend of mine in middle school had a toy poodle that literally died of a heart attack by fear of a storm. I only ment it was impossible for my friend's dog to have frightened the chi to death since he was locked in his kennel in the house all day.
As for what happened with Nellie, I wouldn't blame the pit. Just like you, I would blame the owner. It's irresponsible owners that cause the problems, not the nature of the pitbull. In the case of the vet's office, I ALWAYS sit as far from the door as humanly possible. My dogs are VERY friendly but sometimes people view their over excitement as aggressiveness simply because they are what they are. So, to avoid problems, I don't necessarily take "more" precautions, just different ones. It's just too bad more pittie owners don't respect other people.

Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Come visit us at

Tags
pit bull