Submissive peeing - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-06-2006, 06:13 PM Thread Starter

Is there anything that can be done about a submissive pee'r. We have a 6 month old Golden retriever cross that has always been submissive. It is now to the point where no mattter how gently we call him when he comes over, with tail wagging, he pees all over the floor. And we are not talking a couple of drops. This dog is not a rescue, we got him at 9 weeks, and has never been mistreated in any way. He is crate trained. He also tends to pee when he is really happy or excited. Whenever I come home from work he meets me at the door, tail wagging, pee streaming. We have replaced 4 carpets already and will need to replace the ones by the door shortly again, no matter how well we clean them they always smell.
This problem seems to be getting worse as his bladder gets bigger.
Any suggestions more than welcome, we do not want to have to rehome this dog.
Thanks
Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-06-2006, 11:22 PM
Wacky Chimpnose

Hi there. My rescue dog used to be a submissive/excited peer. But it was a few drops to a small stream.

Few questions before I can try and help:
1. You said he is crate trained, but that he greets you at the door. Is he not in his crate when you get home?
2. Do you immediately acknowledge him when you get home or do you wait for him to fully calm down?
3. Is this only happening when you first get home or whenever you call him throughout the day?

About the rehoming, if he is doing this with you and you have had him since he was 9 weeks, then he will probably just be worse with someone else.

Hope we can help you here.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-07-2006, 08:06 AM Thread Starter

Thanks for the reply.
He is crate trained and is in the crate during the day. My wife gets home a couple of hours before I do and lets him out and for a walk etc. He is therefore out of the crate by the time I get home.

I usually try and wait for him to calm down but that is dificult as he tends to get more and more excited if I wait for him to calm down.

This happens anytime I call him. All I have to do is tell him to sit and he runs over to me and pees and sits.

It definetely happens more with me than with my wife, and he listens without any peeing to our 4 yr old but does pee when my 20 yr old daughter calls him.

You said your dog used to be a subbmissive pee'r, did he/she grow out of it or did you manage to train him out of it.

Steve
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-07-2006, 12:58 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Here are some links for you.

http://www.dogdaysusa.com/behaviorcenter_urination.asp
http://www.dogplay.com/Behavior/peeing.html

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-07-2006, 05:10 PM

Have you spoken with your vet?!?1

Most often than not this is seen as a behavioral problem not a medical one. Because most dogs are submissive -- however the urination occurs due to the muscles.

Speak with your vet they may suggest Proin or a holistic vitamin that will help stop this.
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-07-2006, 10:42 PM
Wacky Chimpnose

As far as my dogs goes, by ignoring her when I first got home and then quietly greeting her after she was calm, she stopped doing it. I think part of it was also her just growing out of it as she got used to being with me (and knew I wasn't going to leave her).

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-07-2006, 11:41 PM

Wet Greetings / Submissive Peeing : http://www.clickandtreat.com/webart105.htm
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-08-2006, 01:56 AM
Wacky Chimpnose

But I think it's a good idea to get a vet check, just in case. (Forgot to add that earlier).

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 02-08-2006, 05:58 AM

I agree with Formula86

Tags
crate trained, golden retriever