Submissive pup - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-25-2005, 08:25 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Submissive pup

I have a 4 1/2 month old Pomeranian named Joey, and he is very submissive. When we first got him he would pee and roll over when we'd approach him. He is doing much better with me and my husband, but with people he see's in passing or even with people he see's everyday he tinkles. I'm wondering if there is any way to build confidence in the pup so he is not as submissive. If I had to choose between a dominant or submissive pup, I guess I'd go with the submissive, but its just a bit embarassing when he's peeing as he's greeting new people. I'm just wondering if there is anyway to build his confidence so there is less submissive urinating.

Any suggestions would be appreciated!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-26-2005, 07:45 AM
Suffers From Southern Belle Syndrome

We had this problem with my Shetland Sheepdog, Seamus.

We helped him get over it by always approaching him at his level. Sometimes, when you approach the dog and you are towering over them, they get firghtened and pee. So, making sure to squat at their level helps a lot.

Secondly, when we knew people were coming over, we made sure Seamus peed shortly before the people came. Then, when the people came, we asked them to not act overlly happy and loud when they came inside so Seamus would not get too excited OR frightened (depending on whether the person was friend or stranger) and pee while trying to greet them. It is important that everyone keeps a calm attitude when they first come in.

And, NEVER, EVER, EVER scold them for submissive peeing! It might sometimes be irritating, but pretend like it never happened! When the dog settles down and is resting somewhere, just go and quietly clean up the mess. Scolding them for it WILL make it worse.

To help build your dog's confidence, praise them a lot. Training them is a great way to build confidence. Praise, praise, praise and lots of loving and cuddling on the side!

Since your dog is so submissive right now, it would be best NOT to scold them. Try positive reinforcement and distraction. If you must scold them (and sometimes we all must), a simple sharp "No!" or "Drop it!" (whichever word is appropriate) should suffice. Don't yell, but make your voice sound almost like a growl and a little louder than the volume you would typically use speaking to your dog.

I think if you do these things, you'll gradually see some improvement as time goes on. Seamus got over his problem when he was around 10-11 months old. Occassionally, he still does some submissive peeing, but it's usually when something scares him.

Good luck, and keep us updated on your little baby's progress!

― Rowan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I've been frosted!
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by pihlaja; 04-26-2005 at 07:47 AM.
post #3 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-26-2005, 01:49 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Thanks so much for the suggestions! We don't scold him it does seem to scare him too much, and I've noticed that he is worse when people crouch over him. It's hard to tell strangers... don't lean over my dog!!!!! though. The submissiveness does seem like it is getting better, and it is worse if he has a full bladder. I do notice he does pee more when he's scared. It seems like it is getting better, hopefully he will grow out of it!

Thank you again for the suggestions!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-26-2005, 02:38 PM
I'll name him Squishy!!

My Zoe doesnt really do the submessive peeing thing. But when my bf is there she just kind of rolls over in front of him or by his feet and she doesnt do that with anyone else. She used to do the pee thing but she doesnt hardly anymore unless someone scares her. She once peed on my sis's friend, but that was when she was really little.

I've been frosted!

Interested in Photography or Art? Want to show off your pictures or artwork? Please join the

post #5 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-26-2005, 10:49 PM
Removed due to federal age requirements

I have a Pomeranian, Yukon, who's very submissive and timid as well. I think it's because he was born in a puppy mill. He is still very submissive, but we're working on it. Good luck with your dog!
post #6 of 7 (permalink) Old 04-30-2005, 09:12 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

thanks, I think he is getting better. Mainly because not many people crouch over him and everyone he see's he knows. The crouching over him was a big thing or running after him scares him. So I tell everyone to just go to his level or leave him. It has helped. Hopefully, at the petstore or when we're out meeting new people he'll have enough confidence to not piddle every where!
post #7 of 7 (permalink) Old 05-01-2005, 08:32 PM
Removed due to federal age requirements

=) Glad to hear it. Congrats on your progress, Joey!

Tags
puppy mill