Success! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-02-2009, 09:27 PM Thread Starter
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

Success!

I'm sorry for all the posts but I'm really happy right now. I took Killer out to pee. It is like 10* here and windy and just cold.

I took him out and he peed and I went to walk him around the yard for a bit and he wasn't doing anything. I said well okay, it's cold and I thought he was just wandering because he does that when I take him out. Well when I got inside he just kept running back and forth all beside himself because he wanted something and I didn't know what it was. He went and sat down in front of my dad's roommate and just stared at her. I asked him if he wanted to go out again and he got really excited and ran to the door (he usually does this because he does know what "out" means. He was outside most of his life and he really likes it.). I put his leash on him and out we went into the cold again. It took him a minute but he really sniffed around and finally he squatted and let it go.

I never thought I could be so happy over dog poop. As usual I thought about the nastiness and started gagging...lol

I am so proud of him. When he was at my mom's house he was either outside all the time or he would let himself out. My mom's inside door was almost always open and he could push open the screen door. Or....he just went on the floor....

He did poop on the floor today after I left for school but I blame that on myself because I was in a hurry and didn't give him enough time to go outside.

I am so proud

ETA: I also praise him when he poops. When we go outside to pee I usually don't give him a treat but I do when he poops. Is that okay? I wish I had a little bag or something that attaches to the end of the leash so I could carry treats with me, I forget to take them outside with me.

*Missy*

Last edited by pinkie1205; 03-02-2009 at 09:29 PM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 12:10 AM
I am allergic to maths

Its good that you give him treats, eventually, even when you take the treats away, he will understand that he is meant to go outside to poop
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 04:46 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Ohh I'm really happy that Killer is doing so well. I can completely understand why you are so proud. Congrats!

Veronica
0.1.0 Budgie- "Lovy"
1.0.0 Siamese Fighting Fish "Jet"
0.2.0 Dogs "Dina & Curra"
0.2.2 Leopard Geckos "Congo, Egypt, Zimbawe & Ghana"

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 12:12 PM
Oily Chickenspew

yay for poop!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Tara
Andy-Chinchilla
Jaws & Chomper-Firebellied Toads Senor-Tiger Salamander
Merlin-Crowntail Betta Harry Potter-Mystery Snail
post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 01:10 PM
Can't Stop Touching Her Eyes

I gave both of mine treats when they went outside. I would leave the treats right at the back door. They would get the treat when we got back in. And if they went out but didn't go they didn't get a treat. I know Frank got it - Belle, well she plays the dum role. I swear Frank still thinks he is going to get a treat after going sometimes. I stopped that years ago.
It is very important to learn their body language - I could read Frank like a book. He was so easy. But Belle - I finally gave up and got a doggie door bell. I taught Belle that if she wanted to go out she had to touch the pad to ring the bell. I just have to make sure the pad doesn't get pushed where she cannot get it. It's great because I can also bring it to my in laws. I show her where it is and leave it in plain sight and she will use it.

mommy to
Tyler - kitty
Oscar - water turtle
Bean - kitty
Frankie - dachshund
Belle - dachshund
Oliver - bunny
Ophelia - bunny
Penelope - bunny
Teddy - bunny -ok I have given up on 4 of a kind and am willing to settle for 2 pairs.
8 fishes - RIP Little Guy and Greta
and Tabatha - October 11, 2006 - rest in peace our sweet angel bunny
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-03-2009, 02:09 PM Thread Starter
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

I should invest in a doggy doorbell...LOL

*Missy*
post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 12:09 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

you don't have to always give treats when they go you can just praise them and they will get the idea then too. Lovin' on them is a treat too!

[/CENTER]

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 02:16 PM
Hello Earthling

YAY FOR POOP !!! (never thought I would write that...)

Kibbles was trained three days after we got him to ring a bell because he didn't bark or anything. Kiwi does it now too.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 03-04-2009, 07:04 PM Thread Starter
Fluffy Gerbilshorts

I always praise him verbally and he gets the treat if he poops.

*Missy*

Tags
poopy