Suckling!? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-12-2004, 12:10 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

Suckling!?

This puppy (still unnamed at this point) is a riot. He does this scary/funny twitching thing right before he's fully asleep - I thought he was seizing last night until I woke him up and he stopped. His lips, ears, eyes and legs were all twitching.

He was sleeping earlier and was making this suckling noise. I stuck my pinkie in his mouth and low and behold, he suckled my pinkie! He's 13 weeks old and I just found it so cute (not to mention interesting - I wonder if he was weaned too early) that he suckles in his sleep! Had to share.

A few pics attached, just for good measure.

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-12-2004, 12:13 AM
Formerly Known as Roz

My cat, Meeko, did that when he was a kitten. And for the first year of his life, he was a carpet sucker!

-

"They that can give up essential liberty for a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin
post #3 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-12-2004, 12:44 AM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Ya know Jade we have had some foster pups do that and we have had some kittens do that, I have always heard it is because of being weaned too early, but I honestly don't know if that is exact or if it is just one of those old wives tales
All the same it's still cute
Love the pics, look at his puddum (face)

MCBA Member

Submit your info today

I Sell Chinchilla Supplies!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-12-2004, 07:55 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Oh what a doll! He is just too cute! He has an owner who loves him to pieces. How lucky is he? And it looks like he knows it!
post #5 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-12-2004, 09:16 AM
I Think I Need a Bigger Bear

I've had a few dogs do that (suckling). Bach did that throughout his whole life!! Manto still likes to do it but Tito & Roo never do/did. Manto likes to take a stuffed animal and cuddle it and just have it in his mouth, he doesn't tear it up, just kinda sucks on it.
And the twitching?? Just wait until you've seen 100 lb dog do it!

Those pics are adorable. I love seeing men & puppies!!

Your pup sure is a doll!!

~ Jodi ~

post #6 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-12-2004, 09:39 AM
Paw-Talk Therapist

How cute. I always think Ollie is seizuring when he's dreaming! It seems like he starts twitching before he's even fully asleep!

Rats have rights...& mice too!
post #7 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-12-2004, 09:50 AM
Angel to Abandoned Puppies

OMG what a doll baby!!

And look who melted. That is a precious site.

MCBA Member

I've Been Frosted
post #8 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-12-2004, 03:09 PM
Wacky Chimpnose

aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaw!!! i just looove him!!!!! i have to admit, he is the cutest pug i've ever seen!!!!! makes me want a puggy wuggy!!

post #9 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-12-2004, 04:31 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

Riley does it too! She would suck on our shirts, pants, whatever she could. Now she just does it with fleece blankets.

We used to have a Siamese cat that would suck on the blankets when she was ready for a nap. She did it her entire life.

Rhonda

post #10 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-12-2004, 07:54 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

My friends cat suckles the inside of her lab X's ears, the little nub just on the inside. It's so funny, and the poor dog get's cat drool in his ears lol... The cat's about 5 or so.

Your puggy is so adorable!

Adoption. Is the living option.
Can't Afford The Vet? Can't Afford the Pet!
post #11 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-12-2004, 07:56 PM
Wants to Hug Hose Bunnies

Gumbo is too cute for words! He is so adorable!

post #12 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-12-2004, 09:28 PM

My two (70lbs a piece and need a diet) when they are in a really deep sleep suckle if I stick my finger in their mouth. I think its so cute. Well, they were cute little babies. I don't think it always has to do with being weened too soon. My cat Varuca was weened too early and I always expected her to do it but she doesn't. She is needy in other ways though.
post #13 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-12-2004, 09:53 PM
Adolescent Pup

awww He's so precious. My step mom just hates pugs, thinks they're ugly, but lookit that face!

Rachel's Zoo:

Fish! ( too many!! )
Cats! (Owen, Marina, Ki'y-Ki'y!)
post #14 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-13-2004, 03:47 AM
Suffers From Southern Belle Syndrome

Quote:
Originally Posted by NavyWife97
Ya know Jade we have had some foster pups do that and we have had some kittens do that, I have always heard it is because of being weaned too early, but I honestly don't know if that is exact or if it is just one of those old wives tales.
I sometimes think it's an old wive's tale, Kim. When I FINALLY weaned Gerona, she was 13 weeks old! And she loves to suckle on our shirts and she has an afghan blanket that is HER blanket, which she suckles on all the time. You can't say she was weaned too early, but she did NOT want to be weaned. Galina was fully weaned by 8 weeks and doesn't have the suckling problems that Gerona has.

He really is adorable, Jade. Does he make the cute pig noises I've heard some pigs (oh, I mean PUGS) make?

― Rowan

I've been frosted!

post #15 of 17 (permalink) Old 09-13-2004, 05:20 PM
Fluffy Potatokisser

As for the twitching thing...yeah, both Kali and Orion do that...the suckling thing...Orion STILL tries to suckle off Kali and she hasn't had anything in there in well over a year! He suckles in his sleep too...I know it isn't from weaning too early though...we had to separate him from Kali at 12 weeks because he just wouldn't stop! Just a piggie

Chin Mom to Lila, Skye, Ty, Rolex, Calypso, Lizzie, Jax, Sam, Sage, Lorenzo, Spitfire, Holly, Dylan, Leia, Punky, Kylie, Skylar, Jetta, Oreo, Emma, Forest, Georgie, Alexis, Picador and all the kits!
Pittie Mom to Kali and Orion
Rattie Mom to Drake and Dumbo
Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Plain ole Mom to Zach, Brandon and Connor!
Come visit us at

Tags
stuffed animal