Super chewer..? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-16-2007, 08:00 PM Thread Starter
Salamander Burgermuffin

Super chewer..?

Does anyone have a dog thats really a distructive chewer? Tanner is like a super chewer or something, i dunno we gave him a rope toy, we got at atwoods for a whole 50 cents, its the same kind davids parents dog loves, and they usually last her a week or so.. it lasted tanner.. like 15 mins? maybe.
Davids got off thursday so we'll prolly go get him a kong, i bet hes gonna need a black one. we gave him one of those generic type kongs from walmart and he loved it.. but he detroyed it last night

Any other toy suggesions? besides a kong?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

My Furry Family
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-16-2007, 09:57 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Rocky is like that. He's destroyed kongs and needs the black ones as well . One toy that did stand up to him was the red Cuz squeaky ball. He ripped off the feet and horns but it's not completely destroyed....and it still squeaks! He loves it . The Cuz was recommended to me by someone on here but I forgot who.

Actual raw beef bones are the main chew thing I give him because those literally don't break.

Oh, and Rocky is a dachshund .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-16-2007, 10:09 PM Thread Starter
Salamander Burgermuffin

ive heard alot of people say to give them raws beef bones, i bet tanner would really like that.. but im not really sure what to look for.. the grocery store here sells shrink wrapped smoked bones or something for dogs, are those ok? or do you get them from the meat case? or do you have to ask the butcher for them?

My Furry Family
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-16-2007, 10:46 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I actually get mine at the health food store. They sell them for dogs. I'm sure going to a butcher would be cheaper but that's not really a usual place for me to go, being vegetarian and all .

The shrink wrapped ones sound like the same thing...they are really thick, right? Just avoid cooked bones.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-17-2007, 01:22 AM
Aspires to Stupidity

I recommend both of these or anything else with hard rubber. My doberman has both of these and they have lasted her a long time so far. I bought the ball months ago and all she's been able to do is rip off a few spikey pieces.
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-17-2007, 01:26 AM Thread Starter
Salamander Burgermuffin

Thanks nikko! i think ive seen those in our store, i'll look next time we go

My Furry Family
post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-17-2007, 06:08 AM
RAT ADDICT

I have these things called "tartar busters" for my current greyhound foster and she loves them.I am not sure the brand,but they seem to last a long time.I gave her one Sunday when she came in and she still has some left and it is wednesday.She chews it everyday too.

If I can find out the brand,I will let you know!

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-17-2007, 06:41 AM
Will It Ever Change?

hmm lemme see.....my dogs had these bones, and boy they were bones....where's we get them? good question lol. lemme look....there's nylabone, Nylabone Durable Bacon Flavor Dog Bone but my dogs killed those lol. the bone im thinking of was an actual pig or cow leg bone, boiled adn treated for safety, and totally indestructible.
Comfy Pet beef and pork dog chew treats, pig ears, rope chews. sorta like the ones on this page. but more like these:
Concepts For Pets :: Dogs :: Pig Ears, Bones, and Chews :: 5-7 inch Natural Bone

"If you can't change your fate, change your attitude." - Amy Tan
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-19-2007, 01:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mulder View Post
hmm lemme see.....my dogs had these bones, and boy they were bones....where's we get them? good question lol. lemme look....there's nylabone, Nylabone Durable Bacon Flavor Dog Bone but my dogs killed those lol. the bone im thinking of was an actual pig or cow leg bone, boiled adn treated for safety, and totally indestructible.
Comfy Pet beef and pork dog chew treats, pig ears, rope chews. sorta like the ones on this page. but more like these:
Concepts For Pets :: Dogs :: Pig Ears, Bones, and Chews :: 5-7 inch Natural Bone
Wal-Mart has bones like that. We got Shadow one once that was 2 feet long probably and it lasted him for almost 2 years! he would go outside and chew on it for hours cuz we wouldn't let him have it in the house since it was a rental and at the time I didn't have my carpet shampooer.
Here's shadow with some of his bones.
The mega one

two smaller ones
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-19-2007, 02:00 PM

sorry I forgot to resize the pictures before I posted.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-29-2007, 10:59 AM Thread Starter
Salamander Burgermuffin

Thanks for all the replies, shadow looks like one happy pup with that big ol bone! I was thinking of getting one of those for tanner, but thought it looked awful messing, i didn't think of just letting him take it outside, maybe it would spare our garden hose! (tanners already conquered 2 giant serpents aka garden hoses)

My Furry Family
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 10-29-2007, 11:25 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

The natural bones and really strong kongs are about the only toys that can withstand Creole too. I bought two toys last week that were labeled 'virtually indestructible' ... guess he's why they put the virtually in there. One of them had to be put away because he was chewing it to pieces (Gumbo can have it in his crate only) and the other is on its last leg already!

Stephanie

post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-02-2007, 06:46 PM

LOL thanks. Shadow is a very spoiled puppy. that big bone was an outside only bone because we rented and were afraid of it staining the carpet. He would actually beg to go outside just to lay there for hours chewing on it.
The little ones didn't come off on the carpet and he still has them 2 years later
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-02-2007, 07:21 PM

I have two extreme super chewers...We have two large black Kongs that go back to Petsmart to be replaced every single week (since they guarentee them and all) Other than those, it's the big ole cow leg bones. They are the only things they can chew and we don't have to worry about it for a month...then of course we have to take the small peices left over away and get them new ones. It's a never ending cycle around here
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 11-03-2007, 02:05 AM Thread Starter
Salamander Burgermuffin

i didnt know petsmart guarentees there kongs, it would almost be worth taking them back all the time, but the nearest petsmart is like 2 hours away so we only usually get over there like once a month sometimes less

My Furry Family

Tags
health food store