Super Sad But Important - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-25-2007, 06:33 PM Thread Starter

Super Sad But Important

I've known about this poem for some time but have been debating over whether or not I should post it. In the end, I thought it would be good to share with other people concerned with the welfare of man's best friend. It's a very sad poem, but if enough people see it, it might help save some lives.

I died today.

You got tired of me and took me to the shelter. They were overcrowded and I drew an unlucky number. I am in a black plastic bag in a landfill now.

Some other puppy will get the barely used leash you left. My collar was dirty and too small, but the lady took it off before she sent me to the Rainbow Bridge.

Would I still be at home if I hadn't chewed your shoe? I didn't know what it was, but it was leather, and it was on the floor. I was just playing. You forgot to get puppy toys.

Would I still be at home if I had been housebroken? Rubbing my nose in what I did only made me ashamed that I had to go at all. There are books and obedience teachers that would have taught you how to teach me to go to the door.

Would I still be at home if I hadn't brought fleas into the house? Without anti-flea medicine, I couldn't get them off of me after you left me in the yard for days.

Would I still be at home if I hadn't barked? I was only saying, "I'm scared, I'm lonely, I'm here, I'm here! I want to be your best friend."

Would I still be at home if I had made you happy? Hitting me didn't make me learn how.

Would I still be at home if you had taken the time to care for me and to teach manners to me? You didn't pay attention to me after the first week or so, but I spent all my time waiting for you to love me.

I died today.

Love,
Your Puppy

(author unknown)

You can find this at various sites on the web, but in this case it came from a link on the Pet Guardian Angels of America home page.

<-Steve->
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-25-2007, 06:46 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

How Sad!
Sadly, Im sure that is exactly how many dogs have felt though.

Lve Never Fails

post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-26-2007, 05:58 PM
RAT ADDICT

Thats sad.

Unfortunatly I know what it is like.Working with a dog rescue organization,we get in dogs and puppies all the time for lame reasons.Puppies need training.Fortunatly we can save some of these dogs/puppies and they don't end up like the puppy in that poem.

* Lisa *

* To the world you are ONE person,but to a rat you are the world *

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

* It's a rat thing...you wouldn't understand! *
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-26-2007, 06:07 PM Thread Starter

I'm sure you see a lot working for a rescue. It takes a special person to do the work you do. You can take a lot of pride in that. <-Steve->
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 07-26-2007, 10:01 PM
laugh often

that was a sad poem but I am sure some dog somewhere does feel that way.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

When I'm down my pets turns my frown upside down

2 Dogs: Harley and Diesel
2 rabbits: Mystic and Thumper
1 Cat- Luna