Switching to Orijen - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 10:32 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Switching to Orijen

I wanted to give Orijen a try for my doggies. As of Sat, I've been mixing in the old with the new and all seemed good for a couple of days.

Jellybean seems to like it and aside from a day of loose poo she seems to have adjusted quickly to the mix. I'm mostly worried about the protien level for a Dalmatian. I've seen opinions that the purines that they can't process are low so it should be ok. She has a follow up visit next month for bloodwork so I will be sure to have that checked. Otherwise it seems to be a good choice for her.

Noah, who is a non excited eater was actually eager to eat. I imagine the fishy smell was new and exciting for him. As of last night he is avoiding his food. His belly was gurgling so there is something brewing in there. The only poo I could find in the yard for him was a cow patty along with some dingle berries on his tush.

The reason I considered changing foods was that Noah would often not eat and has loose poo from time to time. I know there is an adjustment period and the protien level is much higher than what he was getting before so I expected some upset. Perhaps for him, I need to reduce the Orijen in the mix while his tummy adjusts.

Any tips on what I should be on the look out for in terms of allergies or how long I should give the food before I determine it to be a bad choice for him. I plan on leaving the food mixed for several weeks and increase the orijen over time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Last edited by Zylca; 01-26-2010 at 10:41 AM. Reason: I spellz gud
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 12:56 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Yeah... do a REALLY slow transition. If you switch a pet who's eating less nutritious food, to much more nutritious food, you should take a REALLLLLY long time to fully transition them.

Look for regular allergic reactions - itching, dry skin.. if he starts acting lethargic, or drooling, or vomitting daily, switch him back to his old food - lethargy is NEVER a good reaction to see when your pets are eating food.
post #3 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 02:12 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

They have been on Blue Buffalo which isn't too far off the mark for nutrition. But you can tell Orijen a richer, more dense food.

The blue buffalo poops for both dogs almost smelled like dead animal to me. You could smell it across the yard. *stinky face* Jaybeans new Orijen poo smell more like normal poo to me.

I've been looking at too much poo lately...

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 02:17 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Don't be embarassed. I'm very familliar with consistency of poo and nutrition, it's normal for me now, >.>

A hint; you know your cat/dog is on a good diet when their poop isn't rank. If their poop is rank, you're feeding them bad food. Often, when people feed a raw meat diet to their cats or dogs they'll notice that the poops barely smell at all - that just means the animal's body is sucking the perfect amount of nutrients from their food, which means in the end, there isn't much to deposit.

I'd say the Blue Buffalo is bad food if their poops smelled like that. The smell shouldn't have wafted across the yard like that, :/
post #5 of 11 (permalink) Old 01-26-2010, 09:51 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlickeringHope View Post
A hint; you know your cat/dog is on a good diet when their poop isn't rank. If their poop is rank, you're feeding them bad food.
Good point. I hope this switch will work out well for both of them.

Has anyone used canned pumpkin to help with loose poops?

post #6 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-03-2010, 05:14 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Avoiding a thread jack
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zylca
So far the only issue I have had switching to Orijen is the fact that it is not as tasty to the dog as the other regular brands. Most brands add sugar which make it tasty. I personally could do without the fishy smell.

Noah left his bowl for almost 2 days... I tried adding broth, canned food, bacon bits. He was just not going to have it. However, I added a tablespoon of canned pumpkin and he gobbles it up like nothing else! Pumpkin (not pumpkin filling) will help keep them pooping as normal and is a good source of vitamins.

I've been able to alternate the pumpkin with the canned food. Hopefully soon he will accept the dry kibble.

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlickeringHope View Post
I didn't know you had that issue with Orijen, hrm, :/
Jbeans took to it without issue, aside form the poops for a day. I was worried at first Noah was having something else wrong with him. (Wrong as in I found a fairly nice rock collection in his outside bed.... It was probably 15 rocks.)

He wants nothing to do with the food as it comes. I tried using it as treats sneaking it in with his usual stuff and he would spit it out. He wanted to eat my sisters dog food just fine and I figured he was finally hungry enough and still nothing. We often have "bonding" time where I feed him one at a time from his bowl. Stacking the food on his paws and making a trail for him to follow around. I learned that I can stack almost 20 kibbles before he gets bored and moves on. If canned food isn't completely mixed as in some on every single piece he will leave the boring ones behind. With the pumpkin, he actually stands up to eat and is done within 5 mins. Eating was always an on the floor 10 min affair.

I want to feel good about doing the best I can for these pups. I'm ok adding a lil'some some to his food but want to make sure he is even willing to eat. Perhaps, since his rapid growth spurt is slowing down he is just going to be a dog that eats some of the time?

Last edited by Zylca; 02-03-2010 at 05:19 PM.
post #7 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-03-2010, 06:56 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Could be. I'm having to switch my one cat to Natural Balance dry food, because she can't stand what I define as the pre-digested canned food. She acts like I'm trying to poison her, she shrinks back and this look of "Oh my god...please don't....no..... I can't eat that..." flashes across her face. She likes chunks. But there's no good brands out there that are available in our area, I'm sure she'd like Weruva, who uses strips of meat in their cans, but it isn't available near here. So it could be the texture Noah doesn't like. Have you tried strictly canned? Cats and dogs probably can't stand the same texture. One of the reasons raw works so well is because all meats have different textures as well as flavors.

You may have to feed different brands to particular dogs. Taste of the Wild has different flavors for dogs. There's also Acana grain-free, which is under the same parent company as Orijen. There's Avoderm... May have to do test trials, x.x I haven't heard of dogs being picky, usually it's more cats, but Noah must have a reason. That's something my mom has been saying lately in light of my cat turning her nose up at the canned food from Wysong I was feeding her, "If your pet doesn't like their food, it's for a good reason."

Last edited by FlickeringHope; 02-03-2010 at 06:59 PM.
post #8 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-03-2010, 09:12 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

I'm keeping an eye on him so hopefully he is just a picky eater.

I buy 3 or 4 cans for the dogs per 30lb bag of food. I'm able to spike the kibble with yummy stinky stuff for most days of the week. The pumpkin allows me to give it something almost all the time. I can't imagine going 100% canned. All raw scares me too... but I understand that's something you don't go halfway on.

post #9 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-03-2010, 09:30 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

I'm surprised you can find pumpkin...my mom can't find it anywhere. She says the pumpkin crops froze during this winter. Let's see...Texas.....yeah, I don't think you'd have that problem, lol.

All raw? Yeah - all raw, all the way. There's no reason to be scared of it, cats and dogs were designed to eat raw meat. The only thing you have to be careful about, is doing it slowly so they can build up the proper digestive enzymes in order to properly digest raw. If they've been on dry or canned all their life, if their parents were on dry or canned all their life, then they don't have the proper digestive enzymes to digest raw. It should take 2 months to switch cats or dogs fully to raw. 2 months at the very LEAST, probably.

100% canned, no doubt, would be expensive for a dog, especially for more than one. Raw would probably be cheaper. Beef, chicken, lamb, venison... most you can buy in your local grocery store. And they can have the bones and everything, which is very nutritious due to the marrow and bones clean their teeth nice and good.
post #10 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-03-2010, 11:55 PM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

I guess Noah saw what I was saying about him... 2 cups dry kibble accepted without hesitation tonight.

How much would it cost to go canned? I'm scared...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Petco
AvoDerm Natural Chicken & Rice Canned Puppy Food
13 oz. - Chicken & Rice - Case of 12
Feeding Guidelines:
Age 2-5 months-Weight of Dog: 5 lbs. 1 1/4 - 1 ˝ can per day. 10-30 lbs. 2 - 4 1/4 cans per day. 30-60 lbs. 4 1/4 - 7 3/4 cans per day. 60-100 lbs. 8 - 12 cans per day. A puppy's metabolism changes as they mature use chart only as a guideline. See chart for complete feeding instructions.
The sale price for a case is 23.00

If Noah was to stay at 100lbs.... *counts* $630.00 would be his monthly puppy tab. As an adult that would go down to about half. Not to mention the additional cost of an automatic can opener. For a smaller dog I would say it's a viable option. For a growing polar bear not so much. Can a dog really eat 12 cans of food a day? That seems so crazy to me.

As for the pumpkin, I was wondering why I didn't see it more places... only one store out of 4. I just assumed it was past the holiday season and no one was making pumpkin flavored stuff anymore.

What do you think of this guy? http://www.marksdailyapple.com/the-p...diet-for-dogs/

Last edited by Zylca; 02-04-2010 at 12:07 AM.
post #11 of 11 (permalink) Old 02-04-2010, 12:15 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

It depends on the canned food - canned foods that list "Broth" as the first ingredient, or canned foods that say "_____ in Gravy" have the highest amount of moisture, and thus it's like feeding your dog on more water than animal protein, so it doesn't stick to them as long. You'd be looking for a canned food that only lists the water content as the second ingredient, but ideally the third ingredient. More animal protein that way, and it sticks with them longer.

You'd probably want to look up how many pounds of meat a dog of that size would consume, on a raw diet, on a daily basis. Double that, considering canned foods are cooked.

12 cans of food..... at 13 ounces?

16 oz = 1 lb, so that's like....that's, rounding, about 16 pounds of food a day? ..... that's ridiculous, I can't believe that, even on canned food that's excessive. I can't imagine a big dog would eat any more than maybe 5 pounds of meat a day.

Yeah, I checked out Bravo(manufactures raw food for cats and dogs), checked out their Feeding Calculator. I typed in a 100 lb dog, with a feeding percentage of 4.0%(which is for growing puppies), and the total was 4 pounds/day. So yeah, for canned food, that would be 8 pounds a day, so, what...about 6 cans of dog food/day? That's half of what their "feeding guidelines" says you should feed. But 6 cans would be a canned food where broth was not the first ingredient, and where "gravy" wasn't included.

For a 100 lb dog, for a minimal amount of weight gain: 3 lbs of raw meat/day or 6 lbs of canned food/day, and for a 100 lb dog to stay at the same weight: 2.5 lbs of raw meat/day or 5 lbs of canned food/day.

12 cans would last approximately 2 days, so your monthly tab would be $315. If I did my math right.....If. And that's if you were to feed based on him being a growing puppy. I'm not sure how you categorize his needs - growing puppy, minimal weight gain 'cuz he's still growing...etc etc.

Last edited by FlickeringHope; 02-04-2010 at 12:41 AM.