Swollen Toe - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-12-2005, 05:17 PM Thread Starter
Stinky Liverbrain

Unhappy Swollen Toe

Today I went to feed and play with the girls, and noticed that Valentina was limping. Upon closer inspection, I noticed that she had a swollen toe. I checked all her leg, and all that was wrong was that toe. I checked it and I didn't see anything, like a cut, or anything on it. I'll be taking her to the vet tomorrow. What do you think it might be? Could the toe be broken or something?

Dimaris

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-12-2005, 05:39 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

It could be as simple as a bee sting or bug bite too.

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-12-2005, 07:03 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

How is Valentina? Keep us informed.. I remember once when my dog got a limp, it was a bit of grass that had got between his paws...

Steph ~ Owned by 4 bunnies and 5 degus..

"The love for all living creatures is the most noble
attribute of man." Charles Darwin

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-12-2005, 08:05 PM Thread Starter
Stinky Liverbrain

Thanks. I hope it's an insect bite or something... it's easier to treat than a broken toe, right? We checked between her toes and everything and saw nothing. I held her while dad checked her... I'll let you know tomorrow what happens.

Dimaris

post #5 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-13-2005, 12:46 AM
I'll name him Squishy!!

Does the grass get bagged when it is mowed? Cuz our dog Baby has had lots of problems with getting those little straight stickers in her feet lately. And the groomer said it happens often when the mowed grass isnt bagged, but my parents always bag theirs and she had those problems still.

I've been frosted!

Interested in Photography or Art? Want to show off your pictures or artwork? Please join the

post #6 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-13-2005, 01:23 AM Thread Starter
Stinky Liverbrain

Well... we need grass... lol.. the backyard's full of weeds... and it's been weeks since dad mowed, so it's all tall... my guess is that either a bug bit her or she jumped somewhere and hit her toe. They both like to run on a small cement fence we have and climb up the wire fence... Charlotte is pretty graceful, but Vale is pretty clumpsy and often falls off it, or runs around and hits herself against stuff... They are very active and run and play rough all the time so that's why I pretty much suspect that she hit herself against something... lets see what the doc says tomorrow.

Dimaris

post #7 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-15-2005, 09:37 PM Thread Starter
Stinky Liverbrain

Update on Vale...

I was advised to put ice on it and did it. The swelling went down and she was walking normally the past couple of days... but today, she was again the same. We will be taking her to the vet tomorrow morning. Here is a pic of how her toe looked today evening:

Dimaris

post #8 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-16-2005, 08:10 PM Thread Starter
Stinky Liverbrain

Well... another update... I took Vale to the vet today. He thinks the toe is broken, but didn't took X-Rays of it, cause it was costly, and there was little that could be done about it anyway, besides rest. He gave Vale a shot (Dexamethasone), and put a cream on the toe. He was worried that it wasn't a fracture, but a spine or something and that it would get infected, so he gave me some antibiotics for her and told me to keep her as quite as possible and to soak her paw on epson salt for 15 minutes a couple of times a week. If it opens up and has puss and stuff, then I should take her back. So now, both pups are tied up for a week, while Vale heals. Dad didn't wanted to tie them up, but I told him, better let them be bored for a week than another visit to the vet if the thing gets worst...

Also... well, I might have a job at the vet's clinic. 8) The few times I've been there he always saks me of how's school going and such, and today he did again, and I told him that I graduated at mayaguez, and that I got accepted for the vet tech program, so he told me to call the administrator of the clinic on monday and ask for a job, so I get some more practice and stuff... so, cross your fingers that I get a job at the clinic. 8)

Dimaris

post #9 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-16-2005, 09:45 PM
Misses Her Smilie Titles

I hope Vale will be okay! Awesome that you might have a job!
post #10 of 10 (permalink) Old 07-19-2005, 11:52 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

I hope everything goes well for Vale.
Good luck & hope you get the job!

:-)
1 rabbit, 6 rats, 1 conure, 1 cockatiel, 1 lovebird, 1 cockroach

- Bracelets, Beads + Supplies!

Tags
vet tech