Talked to the owner's about fostering a dog - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-17-2005, 12:06 AM Thread Starter
Tongue Tied..Literally!

Unhappy Talked to the owner's about fostering a dog

I suppose you can tell by my reaction it wasn't good news. I said I wouldn't be disappointed but I am. They said they are afraid the dog would cause damage and ruin the floors (even though we paid for the carpeting). So, all I can say to that is.......

GOTCHA!!! They said it would be okay!! They said it is for a good cause and they know how clean we are and what responsible owners we are. So, guess what? Dave and I went to the shelter and picked out a dog!! The shelter that has Tamara never called me back after I told him I couldn't get a hold of the owners. His name is "Pitch" and he is a Pit mix (they are thinking mixed with Am Staff). Pitch is HUGE!! He weighs around 100 pounds and needs to lose some weight. Because he was at the shelter so long, he packed on some pounds. Nobody wanted him because he is big, black, and very intimidating looking. But he is a super sweet dog! He LOVES people and has some dog agression issues so I have to be careful when I am walking him. He also has a cough. The shelter ran every test possible and everything came back negative. They think it is allergies and currently have him on Innova Evo which also contributed to his weight gain. I plan on switching him to Nature's Variety in about a week. He does have dry skin and eye boogers too.

He is well behaved for the most part. Tonight, when I had my back turned he jumped on the sofa and thought it was okay. I immediately told him "NO" and had to push him off because he wouldn't get down! I left the room again and thought I would glance in the living room and sure enough he had his paw on the sofa!! I firmly told him "NO"!! and he stopped. This went on for 2 more times before he layed down on the comforter I provided for him. I took him for his last walk tonight and when we came home, he promptly jumped on the loveseat!! Same thing, I said "NO"!! and had to push him off. I am hoping with perserverance he will stop jumping on the furniture.

As for his potty habits, he had two accidents in the house. This morning I thought it was great he didn't poop in the house but I went into the living room and saw a pile of something and I thought it was the Kong I purchased. Nope, it was a big pile of poo! Luckily, it was dry and I had no problem picking it up and cleaning the carpet. Then, I noticed one of my gargoyle statues was a little wet and noticed he marked it. I cleaned the rug and the statue with vinegar. When he went for his last walk, he had a little diarrhea. I know it is from being nervous and excited so I am hoping it will cease. He hasn't eaten anything yet which I know is normal for a day or two.

His personality is wonderful. Nothing bothers him and he is always looking for love. Even though he is 100 pounds, he thinks he is a lap dog. On the way home from the shelter, he sat in my lap in the car. I couldn't breathe and today I have bruises all over my legs.

I have to keep him separated from the chinnies. He definitely is not small animal friendly and got very excited when he saw them yesterday. He occasionally glances in the room but he isn't focused on them so much that he is distracted.

I think that's about it. I know, I need to post pictures. I hope his big head and bum fit in the picture!

P.S. As far as having a dog of our own, they said that is something they would have to think about and to not get my hopes up.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-17-2005, 12:14 AM
Wacky Chimpnose

omg denise! that's so awesome of you to get Pitch. poor baby - it sounds like he's never had anyone to teach him anything. i'm sure he'll come around.

do you think you'd ever keep him? either way, he is so lucky to have you.

and btw - after i opened the email and saw that big space, i knew you were messing with us!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-17-2005, 12:23 AM

Wow! Congrats to you! I'm sure you will be a great foster home and he will shortly become the perfect dog. But 100lbs, man, that's a big pile of poop
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-17-2005, 12:43 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

That's great! I am sooo happy for you

Owned by 26 chins, 7 cats, 2 dogs, and 7 aquariums

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Come drop by!

post #5 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-17-2005, 12:57 PM
Super Soaker Snot Ball Shooter

Congratulations!!! :blob2:

Quote:
This morning I thought it was great he didn't poop in the house but I went into the living room and saw a pile of something and I thought it was the Kong I purchased. Nope, it was a big pile of poo!

Rhonda

post #6 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-17-2005, 01:59 PM
PT's Troll Hunter

Denise, you brat! You fooled me!

I was going to go and say how sorry I am that you were given a "no" but...

(I'm wondering if I should put a big space up too... haha!)

...Congrats woman!! I think its awesome that you gave Pitch a more home like atmosphere until he finds a forever home. Now, maybe people won't only see the big, black, intimidating dog they once saw, but a well trained, loved, obedient, 100 pounds of love! You are really doing a great thing for him. Its got to make your heart swell.

post #7 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-17-2005, 09:37 PM
Poo dont scare me!!!

Thats great that your landlords approved him! He sounds like a sweetie. And like you said, with perserverance he will definately learn that he isnt allowed on the furniture. Our dogs were allowed on our old stuff...but now that we got new furniture they are not allowed on it at all, it only took about a week and they all figured it out and we havent had a problem at all! So there is high hopes for that one!

I think after a few days you and Pitch will be getting used to eachother and you will both learn eachothers routines and things will start to work out like perfect. I hope your landlords approve you getting a dog of your own someday...just because its hard to live without one!

post #8 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-17-2005, 10:36 PM
Misses Her Smilie Titles

I'm so happy for you! You didn't fool me for a minute. When do we get piccies?!?
post #9 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-17-2005, 10:41 PM Thread Starter
Tongue Tied..Literally!

Thanks everyone! His tummy is really upset. We left him alone for a few hours to run some errands and when we came home, I smelled something foul. When I went in the kitchen there was a big pile of diarrhea. And oh lord did it smell bad! Considering how paranoid I am about germs and being dirty, I had no problem picking up the mess. I just got out a bunch of paper towels, vinegar, and tea tree oil and in a few minutes the floor was like new. The woman at the shelter said she would stop by tomorrow night and give me something for his tummy if he still has diarrhea. I am concerned because he still hasn't eaten anything and is not drinking too much water. I don't want him getting dehydrated.

I bought him a lovely bed today and put one of my best sheets over it and he is snoring away like Dave! He didn't attempt to go on the furniture once today. Dave is working with him too and showing him who is the dominant person.
post #10 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-17-2005, 11:02 PM

What a lovely gift to come home to LOL! Most dogs get upset tummies when they first go home. Its a lot of stress and excitement all at the same time and then on top of everything there will be (once he starts eating) a change in diet. Doggies in the shelter don't always get the best food so there still might be some stomach problems for a little while.
post #11 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-17-2005, 11:05 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Denise, switch him to a bland diet for a few days. Boiled chicken and rice or baby food (chicken) and rice. You may have to add a little broth or heat the baby food to get him to eat it, but most dive right in and that will help stop the diarrhea since it's so bland.

He'll probably take a while to adjust tummy-wise. It's stressful to move and adjust to new people like that.

Congrats, btw!

Stephanie

post #12 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-18-2005, 04:06 AM
Part of the Pack

I think it is wonderful that you get to foster this pitt mix! I just want to say how proud I am of you for taking on a breed that has one of the worst reputations in the world and I know you will one to help prove that repuation is unjustly deserved. Sadly that repuation got Pitbulls banned altogether in The Netherlands. I am so happy for you and Pitch! I hope you have a lot of fun together!
post #13 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-18-2005, 09:59 AM
Angel to Abandoned Puppies

Congrats on your foster baby. I hope that someday soon you'll get to have one of your own for sure.

MCBA Member

I've Been Frosted
post #14 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-18-2005, 10:10 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

Congratulations, Pitch will have a fantastic home with you till he finds his forever home

Kirsty

Visit Degu Rock - Dedicated to Degu Care & Welfare Worldwide

post #15 of 51 (permalink) Old 07-18-2005, 12:04 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Congrats on your first foster Denise

I know you rarely do pics but I'm DYING to see him *hint*

Brenda
Caretaker of 2 dobermans,, 1 schnauzer, 5 cats, 3 goats, 1 parrot, 1 bearded dragon lizard, 11 chinchillas.
Rest in peace, Cricket, Casey, Bella, Yank, Chloe and Bones.

Tags
dog owners, lap dog