tattoo or Chipped - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

View Poll Results: Which is better, tattoo or chipped
tattoo 0 0%
chipped 7 70.00%
other, please specify 3 30.00%
Voters: 10. You may not vote on this poll

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-21-2005, 05:42 PM Thread Starter

tattoo or Chipped

Which is better, getting your dog tattooed or chipped?
I am gonna get my puppy done so I would like to have an idea what evryone thinks please.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-21-2005, 06:13 PM

Most people don't look for tattoos...most do scan found dogs. I'd go with the chip. My dad's dog is tattooed though under his ear...most people never know it's there
post #3 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-21-2005, 06:34 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I'd also go with the chip, for the same reasons as Chinchilla Girl said.

Oh, and be sure that the dog is also wearing a collar with an ID tag at all times.

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-21-2005, 09:16 PM

Mine are all chipped, so that would be my choice. My reasons are pretty similar to what Mandie said.

Tattoo's just aren't common. I think the expense plays a roll in that.
post #5 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-21-2005, 09:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chrisanne
Mine are all chipped, so that would be my choice. My reasons are pretty similar to what Mandie said.

Tattoo's just aren't common. I think the expense plays a roll in that.
Exactly. You can't tattoo an animal unless it's sedated so you'd have to pay for the sedation fees as well as the tattooist. The ONLY reason my father's dog is tattooed is because he was a golden retriever rescue who was supposed to be trained as a leader dog for the blind. Unfortunetly or fortunetly, he totally flunked the course. So Midas came to live with my dad. The tattoo was supposed to be his leader dog identification number
post #6 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-22-2005, 01:08 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I don't really like tattoo's or chips. I wouldn't really want one in me, so I wouldn't want to put on in my dog. Of course, my doggie has never been an escaper, so I don't know what I would do if he was! Make sure he has an ID tag and collar in addition to whatever you decide to do!

--------------------
~Marcia

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

--------------------------

post #7 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-22-2005, 01:41 PM Thread Starter

They do not have id things in Sweden so my mate in the UK is getting me 2 done for both my dogs.
Olle has a tattoo in his ear but I find it hard to read so I guess I will do the chip.
Thanx
post #8 of 15 (permalink) Old 02-28-2005, 02:17 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by marmilla
I don't really like tattoo's or chips. I wouldn't really want one in me, so I wouldn't want to put on in my dog. Of course, my doggie has never been an escaper, so I don't know what I would do if he was! Make sure he has an ID tag and collar in addition to whatever you decide to do!
I feel the same way

:-)
1 rabbit, 6 rats, 1 conure, 1 cockatiel, 1 lovebird, 1 cockroach

- Bracelets, Beads + Supplies!
post #9 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-01-2005, 05:00 AM Thread Starter

He allready had a tattoo in his ear when he came.
He has a tag on his collar with our address and phone number.
He plays outside with me with no lead so I am hoping he will not decide to explore himself
post #10 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-10-2005, 04:35 PM

I have all my dogs chipped it has to be easier to chip them that is for sure. Less pain!!!! It is a quick shot between the shoulder blades and they are good to go.
post #11 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-10-2005, 04:39 PM

Ours are all chipped.....however the one's that have been spayed/neutered over here do have a small tattoo of an "S" for steralization in that area, but that is something totally different.
I feel chipping is the best option
post #12 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-10-2005, 08:22 PM

Duke is chipped. If someone reeeally wants to steal your dog (for who knows what reason) a tattoo can be easily changed around to look like a completely different number. Also, the AVID readers can't read the Home Again chips can they? Or it may be the other way around... I'm pretty sure it's AVID can't read Home Again, but Home Again can read AVID. Pretty positive.
post #13 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-11-2005, 12:37 AM

Well it depends on where you live and how many places have scanners. I do believe the scanners can read both types of chips now. I know that my ACO is lazy and forgets all the time to check and we yell at him everytime we get a mad person telling us we should have just checked his chip. We don't have a scanner because they wont give us one for free since the ACO has one. We don't have the money to get one (we are working on that) and the aco wont give us his.

Little things like this make a big difference. If the dog had a tattoo, we would notice that right away. I would do both if you are really really concerned about losing your pet.
post #14 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-11-2005, 10:36 PM

Mine are chipped. I've accually never heard of tatooing. Isn't that painful? What if you change owners or addresses? When you scan a chip what do they say? Is it a number. If so if the dog changes owners where do you go to change the owners info for the chip. I don't even know how these things work. lol My mom made me get the doggies chipped but i agree with Marmilla and Brittney.
post #15 of 15 (permalink) Old 03-11-2005, 10:53 PM

When you scan a chip a big long number comes up. Then you have to call a 1-800 number to find out the information. Sometimes the customer service reps aren't that helpful but if you badger them enough they come through.

If you move you have to make sure that you send in a change of information. The same with new owners you have to send in the new information but people tend to be lazy and forget to do that. Its even free to change info but still putting that envelope in the mail seems to be certain death to people. Also they forget to send information in to begin with so all we have to go on is vet information or shelter information and when you talk to them they don't want to give you any information.

Please for all those with chipped animals - MAKE SURE YOUR INFO IS UP TO DATE! Thank you for this service announcement.

Tags
golden retriever