Teething - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-25-2004, 03:39 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Question Teething

Hey all,
I am having a small problem with Charlie. The schedule she and I are on at the moment is that she goes to bed b/w 12-1 and wakes up around 11. Generally, although its unhealthy for me, I sleep past then, so I get her up, walk her, and after she does her business I take her into bed with me to sleep a little longer.

My problem is not (as Scarlette mentioned in the other thread) that she thinks its wrestling time, but that she bites my hands. She's small so it's not hard as ****, but sometimes it hurts...I've taken to just keeping my arms under the blanket however this morning she bit me on the nose.

Also, I have chewsticks, but when I give her one she either ignores it, or knocks it down to chase the hand I'm giving it to her in. The problem being, even if I remove my hand she'll chase it, she thinks its a game or something. Anyway to get to the point, she doesn't really understand "NO!" even in a stern loud voice. So, how can I get her to bite the chew stick without killing my hand? (or nose, or ear lobe, or glasses) There are other things for her to chew on, she just seems to prefer my flesh.

...Goodness is achieved not in a vacuum, but in the company of other men, attended by love. I, in this room, seperate, alienated, distrustful, find in my purpose not an open world, but a closed, hopeless jail. My perspectives end in the walls. Nothing of the future comes to me. Only the past, in its shabbiness and innocence. Some men seem to know exactly where their oppourtunities lie; they break prisons and cross whole Siberias to persue them. One room holds me. --Saul Bellow
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 2 (permalink) Old 06-25-2004, 08:04 PM
Wacky Chimpnose

you could try this:
when she has your hand in her mouth, yelp really loud and high pitched. most dogs will stop when they hear this cause this is how another puppy tells a puppy, "stop! you're hurting me!"
if that doesn't work, try this. when she has your hand in her mouth, tuck the skin at the corners of her mouth in-between her back teeth on both sides. then when she bites down, she'll bite her own lips/cheek. this may stop her.

i'm sure other people have some great ideas, too. hope all is well! remember - this is normal for a puppy!!

and post some more pics of her already! hahahaha!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.