Tell me I've lost my mind. PLEASE. - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-07-2004, 10:55 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

Tell me I've lost my mind. PLEASE.

I've gone and fallen in love with a puppy. I just HAVE to have him. But he isn't just any puppy. Let me tell you his story.

He was brought in to our office Saturday evening and diagnosed with melting ulcers in both eyes. He went to see our ophthalmologist and was given a poor prognosis without immediate surgery. The owners were devastated, as they'd only had him 3 weeks. They are an older couple and already have a blind dog and just couldn't handle it. So they took the puppy back to the breeder and the breeder offered to replace the pup with a new one, but said she'd likely euthanize the current puppy. She said if they knew anyone who'd take him and care for him, she'd give them both puppies. The doctor at our office who saw him first offered to take him.

Dr. A wasn't in when they owners brought him in, so I went over all the paper work and got him settled in. They were crying, I was nearly crying, it was awful. They gave him to me and walked away, as he snuggled and snorted in my ear, giving me kisses all the while. When Dr. A came in, I jokingly told her the pup wanted to come home with me. She told me to take him and I nearly fell over. I told her I would, but just couldn't afford the surgery right now due to having to get the new car, etc. She said SHE'D pay for the surgery and give me the puppy.

So I'm trying to talk Chris into it ... He's telling me to get rid of some chins and I've told him I am - Diablo and Mirage.

The pup is just a total doll. He's an eleven week old pug, with the wrinkled face and just baby rolls of skin ... totally precious. He's a shoulder puppy - wants to be loved. If you scratch a certain part of his neck, his back leg gets going.

So ... tell me I've lost my mind!! Please!!

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-07-2004, 11:02 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Aw, go for it! He sounds cute as heck and it seems like it was love at first sight. Sounds like it was meant to be, to me!
post #3 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-07-2004, 11:05 PM
Fertile Myrtle

Does your apt allow pets? Can you afford the pet deposit? If so, I agree with Chris about selling a few chins (only because I know how busy you already are) - then go for it.

Wife to an amazing man,
mom to three wonderful kids (9, 5.10, 4),
2 dogs, 3 hermit crabs and 2 bettas

|

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-07-2004, 11:14 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

They do allow pets and the deposit is minimal. The chins really don't take up that much of my time (which is why I only have 5 versus more) and I don't plan on getting any more except maybe a mate for Praline because she gets so lonely. Getting rid of one or two really wouldn't make that much of a difference versus having 2-4 anyway. With me working 8 on, 6 off, I'm home a good bit of the time and the pup can come with me to work too (Not that I've already thought through all this!).

Stephanie

post #5 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-07-2004, 11:16 PM
Formerly Known as Roz

Looks like you're going to have to make some room

-

"They that can give up essential liberty for a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin
post #6 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-07-2004, 11:18 PM
Fertile Myrtle

So why are you even bothering to post here asking us to talk you out of it? Seems like we know who's got a new pup.

Wife to an amazing man,
mom to three wonderful kids (9, 5.10, 4),
2 dogs, 3 hermit crabs and 2 bettas

|

post #7 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-07-2004, 11:23 PM
Formerly Known as Roz

Quote:
Originally Posted by Christi
So why are you even bothering to post here asking us to talk you out of it? Seems like we know who's got a new pup.
She wants as many people as possible to agree that she's actually quite sane and reasonable in her desire for this pupster, so that she can go to her lovey dovey and say, "See?! I'm not alone! Cave in to me now!"

I'm not even going to pretend I wouldn't do the same

-

"They that can give up essential liberty for a little safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Benjamin Franklin
post #8 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-07-2004, 11:26 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Roz
She wants as many people as possible to agree that she's actually quite sane and reasonable in her desire for this pupster, so that she can go to her lovey dovey and say, "See?! I'm not alone! Cave in to me now!"

I'm not even going to pretend I wouldn't do the same
Looks like I've been figured out.

Truly, I was hoping someone could offer me up something I haven't thought of!!

Stephanie

post #9 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-07-2004, 11:27 PM
Angel to Abandoned Puppies

I think you are perfectly sane. Like Roz, i would not hesitate to take him. Fate says he needs you. Besides, doesn't the vet have a new baby on the way? So you'd have more time.

MCBA Member

I've Been Frosted
post #10 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-07-2004, 11:28 PM
Formerly Known as Roz

Have you considered all of the health problems Pugs are prone to? Eye and nasal issues? How about the fact that those wrinkles collect stuff and can start to smell? Wrinkle wiping is a pug-mom duty!

(I want to get a Pug if I move into a dog-friendly apartment.)

-

post #11 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-07-2004, 11:31 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

I've researched the breed and know what I'm getting into. Working at a specialty clinic DOES have it's advantages, too!

Stephanie

post #12 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-07-2004, 11:32 PM
Formerly Known as Roz

Well Jade, that's the only thing *I* can think of. It sounds like you're ready. Just get to work on your fiancee. You must convert him, first, since all else is ready and well.

-

post #13 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-07-2004, 11:32 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

So I guess it is decided then?

I, for one, am happy for you. Does the little guy have a name?
post #14 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-07-2004, 11:33 PM
Formerly Known as Roz

Oh! And I, on behalf of all of Paw-Talk, request pics of the Pugster once you've converted your lovey into a Pug-lover.

-

post #15 of 45 (permalink) Old 09-07-2004, 11:36 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

His name was originally Rhett, temporarily named Divot by Dr. A.

And you know you'll all get bombarded with pics.

Stephanie