Telling your dog he is too old - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 6 (permalink) Old 06-30-2012, 02:40 PM Thread Starter
canis lupus familiaris

Telling your dog he is too old

Yeah this is harder than it sounds. So Luna and I go for 4 1/2 mile walks every morning and are working on jogging. Spyro has been begging to come so today, I brought him on a short run. So short that we walked probably a mile (he is used to walking two) and did a slow paced jog for about an 8th of that mile. He trotted along behind us.

I plan on taking him for walks every night (same mile minus the jogging lol) but I have no doubt in my mind that he will still beg to come on our morning runs. So guys, how do you do it? How do you tell a dog hes too old?

[B]
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Spyro
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Loki
Luna
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-01-2012, 01:34 PM
Paw-Talk Addict

Are you sure it's because he's old, and not because he just prefers to "stop and smell the roses"? Or, if you're the dominant one in the household, maybe Spyro is hanging back because due to his age, he naturally falls lower in the hierarchy and thus his place is not up front.
post #3 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-02-2012, 12:53 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

spyro is little right? you could get a dog stroller, and put him in it after his walk is done and keep going with luna. even if your dog is too old to go the whole way he can't realize it and just knows you are leaving him behind. Plus when Luna gets too old you can use the stroller for her as well.

[/CENTER]

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-03-2012, 09:53 AM
Betta Bomb

Just slow down your jog for Spyro to keep up. Age will happen, while he may be okay jogging a bit with you he has aging joints and sore muscles. A quick pace walk and jog will catch up to him, go for the jog with the younger dog and since he's young he won't mind going with Spyro for a light walk later.
Even at 14 years old, my dog was ready for 4 walks a day. Granted I shortened them more and more until he just went out on the street (cul-de-sac) unleashed.
Dogs will be eager to please you until their last breathing day. He will creaking and moaning but he will get up and go with you. He doesn't care about how he feels, he wants to see you happy. So your duty is to take it easy for his sake.
post #5 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-04-2012, 10:22 PM
Super Moderator

How old is Spyro?

post #6 of 6 (permalink) Old 07-15-2012, 01:35 PM Thread Starter
canis lupus familiaris

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlickeringHope View Post
Are you sure it's because he's old, and not because he just prefers to "stop and smell the roses"? Or, if you're the dominant one in the household, maybe Spyro is hanging back because due to his age, he naturally falls lower in the hierarchy and thus his place is not up front.
Oh yeah hes actually slowing up because of age. When we first got Luna, we would all go on two miles walks because she was just too young to run. Spyro was clearly sore at the end so I started doing a mile walk and then taking the dogs off leash in our very back yard (which was an acre but the fence wasn't always reliable so they weren't allowed back there by themselves.) I miss that big yard lol.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kendalle View Post
spyro is little right? you could get a dog stroller, and put him in it after his walk is done and keep going with luna. even if your dog is too old to go the whole way he can't realize it and just knows you are leaving him behind. Plus when Luna gets too old you can use the stroller for her as well.
I really like this idea. Thanks. I wanted to get a bike trailer so I could start hiking with everyone. I threw out the idea for the trailer that could convert but now it sounds like an awesome idea.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dragonrain View Post
How old is Spyro?
Spyro is 12. Don't tell him that. He still thinks he is 2.

[B]
Spyro
Loki
Luna