Temperace? Sick little puppy - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-07-2004, 10:34 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Temperace? Sick little puppy

Hi, I've recently picked up a 6 month old mixed breed puppy from the animal shelter here in Shreveport, La. He seemed really healthy minus the occasional sneeze that the vet said was "kennel cough". Porkchop "our puppy" is now about 10 months old and he has a lot of crust around his eyes and on the corner of his nose. I'll wipe it away using a damp cloth but about 15 minutes later it comes back. I've taken him to the vet several times and she says he either has a cold, upper respiratory infection (but he doesn't cough or sneeze anymore), or he has Temperace. I've never heard of that before but the vet said it can be fatal. Porkchop still acts like a puppy, he eats, plays, does eveything that puppies do except his eyes and nose look horrible. Any suggestions on what to do?

Thank you
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-07-2004, 12:56 PM
Adolescent Pup

Temperance? sounds like distemper to me, is that the same thing? if that is the case it is generaly fatal I have no ideas of what to do though. sending prayers to your baby!

Shayna and the crew!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

gonna miss ya Honey(Sheba) glad you back home.
post #3 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-09-2004, 05:07 AM
Suffers From Southern Belle Syndrome

If the vet is saying, "oh it could be this, this, or this," and then is sending you home, go see another vet! She should be testing for these things! Sneezing and crusty eyes are signs of a possible URI (upper respiratory infection).

I searched for a disease called "Temperance" and found nothing. Perhaps you should ask the vet if the disease has any other names.

His symptoms don't match the ones for canine distemper at the moment.

Ultimately, I think you should see another vet. One that will test for all possible types of illness, target one, and quickly put your dog on an antibiotic to cure it.

Good luck! (And keep us posted!)

Note--

It's a shame you're not in the deeper part of Louisiana (where I'm from). I could have recommended you to a WONDERFUL vet!

― Rowan

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
I've been frosted!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-09-2004, 05:59 AM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Quote:
Originally Posted by pihlaja
his symptoms don't match the ones for canine distemper at the moment.

Ultimately, I think you should see another vet. One that will test for all possible types of illness, target one, and quickly put your dog on an antibiotic to cure it.

I fully agree!! Unfortunately we have dealt with distemper cases here and it's not a very pretty sight, and from what your describing it doesn't sound like that is what your puppy has.
I have never heard of Temperance, I would suggest a 2nd opinion!!

MCBA Member

Submit your info today

I Sell Chinchilla Supplies!
post #5 of 5 (permalink) Old 08-09-2004, 09:50 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

Thank you for the replies. I've read up on Canine distemper and I'm sorry to say that he exibits some of the signs including crusty eyes, nasal discharge, flaky and dry footpads, excessive thirst and dry skin. His skin is so dry that when he sleeps in my computer chair I'll have to wipe it down to get rid of the flakes. He doesn't vomit, his bowel movements are normal and he doesn't show any kind of neurological problems... I'm so confused and worried for him. We're taking him back to the vet today to see what she says about him. I really want answers so maybe she'll give them to us instead of just giving more antibiotics.

Thank you very much

Tags
animal shelter, kennel cough, mixed breed, respiratory infection, upper respiratory infection