Temperatures - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-02-2005, 06:38 PM Thread Starter
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Temperatures

I have a Dachshund and a Cocker Spaniel and I live in New York. We have rather snowy/cold winters and I was wondering what temperatures should dogs be kept inside?

See, if the weather is nice then the dogs play outside for a couple of hours each day in their dog run. It's good because it gets out their energy and seems to cut down on accidents. But I never really knew how cold is too cold. I've always kept them inside if it's below 35 degrees and often if it's warmer then that but still below 40 degrees they really don't go outside either.

They do have sweaters, how much do those actually help? And even if it's below 35 is it still ok to give them walks? (though I wouldn't give them walks if it's below 30 since that's too cold for me)

Thanks in advance .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-03-2005, 09:19 PM Thread Starter
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Anyone? =/

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-03-2005, 09:30 PM
Playful Pup

Smile Snow

Greetings, I am in California. We have mild weather. When I have watched Animal Planet. The dogs kept in the snow need a dog house with straw inside of it. It seems like your dogs are medium to small so bring them in sounds like a good idea. Then let them have playtime during the day. Others will come on shortly.

Pets forever and Jesus foreverlasting life
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-03-2005, 09:56 PM Thread Starter
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by upcd
Greetings, I am in California. We have mild weather. When I have watched Animal Planet. The dogs kept in the snow need a dog house with straw inside of it. It seems like your dogs are medium to small so bring them in sounds like a good idea. Then let them have playtime during the day. Others will come on shortly.
Thanks, though if it's snowing I never leave them outside.

I just wish I had a temperature to go by.

~Stephanie

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-13-2005, 02:11 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Here are some tips from the ASPCA that may help.
http://www.aspca.org/site/DocServer/....pdf?docID=184
I would just go with your gut. If you let your dogs out to run and notice they are shivering, bring them inside. If the temps get down to single digits or below with or without windchill, I would only let them out long enough to go to the bathroom. I have a Golden so I dont really know too much about the shorter haired dogs. My golden begs to go out just so he can roll and lay in the snow. lol Good luck
Lou
post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-13-2005, 02:51 PM Thread Starter
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by wellahart
Here are some tips from the ASPCA that may help.
http://www.aspca.org/site/DocServer/....pdf?docID=184
I would just go with your gut. If you let your dogs out to run and notice they are shivering, bring them inside. If the temps get down to single digits or below with or without windchill, I would only let them out long enough to go to the bathroom. I have a Golden so I dont really know too much about the shorter haired dogs. My golden begs to go out just so he can roll and lay in the snow. lol Good luck
Lou
Thanks .

Yeah, I've been not letting them out if it's below 35 degrees or so.

~Stephanie

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-13-2005, 03:01 PM
Adolescent Pup

My senior girl doesn't go outside without booties below 20 above and below 10 above she doesn't want to be outside other than to quickly do her business.

My younger dog wears booties below 20 also, but he could probably go to 15 without them. He loves it outside and it has to be below 0 before he doesn't want to go outside and play. Anything above 30 and I have to convince him it's nicer to be in the house than outside in the snow.

I don't leave them outside un-supervised when it is that cold because I wouldn't be able to tell if their paws or ears are hurting and it's time to cut play time short.

post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-13-2005, 03:06 PM Thread Starter
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skycat
My senior girl doesn't go outside without booties below 20 above and below 10 above she doesn't want to be outside other than to quickly do her business.

My younger dog wears booties below 20 also, but he could probably go to 15 without them. He loves it outside and it has to be below 0 before he doesn't want to go outside and play. Anything above 30 and I have to convince him it's nicer to be in the house than outside in the snow.

I don't leave them outside un-supervised when it is that cold because I wouldn't be able to tell if their paws or ears are hurting and it's time to cut play time short.
The dogs never really seem cold...they like outside . Especially with the snow.

I think they should be fine if it's above 35 degrees from what I've gathered.

~Stephanie

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 12-13-2005, 03:58 PM
Dinky Corsetkisser

my older dog (australian shephard) stays in most of the time, he has arthritis...but my 2 little ones, a yorkie and a cockapoo want to be outside, they do not want to come in till night time, I bring them in on and off all day and when they are in they howl to get back out lol...I live in cali and its going between 55-60 here, but they have dog houses, blankets, beds and a ton of stuff, I still try to force them in about every hour for at least a half hour lol

Carie
Proud mommy to Ashley

Tags
animal planet, cocker spaniel, older dog