Therapy Dogs - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 4 (permalink) Old 09-29-2003, 08:17 PM Thread Starter
PT's Troll Hunter

Therapy Dogs

Well we're gunna do it! We're starting the business! (If you wanna call it that... ?) Greta and Audrey are soon to be the first in Gentle Giants Pet Therapy. Once I move out and have a Great Dane (or two haha) I'll train them and bring them up as TD's.... Melissa might even wanna bring in Harlie and Max. (My mom said maybe one day having the "future" Chihuahua's (sp?) Spencer and Magnum be a part of it.... ha ha ha )

Well anyways, since we got Greta and Audrey its always been the idea to get them trained and into Therapy.

I am correct when I say that a Therapy Dog has to have certificates of completion in Basic and Advanced Obedience right?

At the moment, we're waiting on our trainer to get back with us about when Advanced OB's are going to be. Last time we talked he told us probably near or around September... as its now practically October now, we're beginning to think we might have to find someone else. (Unfortunately, because we all like our trainer a lot.) Not to mention it's totally free if we go through him.

Questions: What is the title of a certified therapy dog (is it just CTD or TDC??). What does the certification "test" require the dog knowing? When the dog is certified, it can go just about anywhere right? As long as its got on the tag or harness that says Therapy Dog? Or is that just sight/etc. dogs??

Okay ... I'm going to do a search on the net about Therapy Dog's and see what all I can learn. Is there anything that anyone wants to share with me or advice or a word of thought??

I would highly and greatly appreciate it. Thanks!

ps- My mom wants to know if all Therapy Dog work is volunteer (because that was my understanding...) She was wondering if there was ways of making income or not. If not that's perfectly fine.

FANKS!!!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-03-2003, 09:07 AM
Adolescent Pup

Congrads Ms. Redd! Is was wondering are you doing therapy as a elderly home care type therapy? I have a friend that is an animal control officer that does this. She had invited me to take some of my babies out with her but so far I haven`t. My guys are just a bit too lap dogs and like to paw when a hand comes to greet them. NOT good on older folks skin if scratched.

Anyways, I know that AKC does a Canine Good Citizen award but not sure what all is involved in therapy training or service dog awards. I also know that there are folks that have done this regularly without any certification but if you in a business setting for yourself it may be different. The Department of Agriculture might be able to give you some advise as far as state laws and requirements. I had gotten quiet a bit of information from them when I started my rescue program.

Also you might want to see if the police department can offer any info as far as trainers, certifications, etc. for their canines have to pass certain programs before being placed in the work force.

Just some ideas but what a great thing you are doing, especially if you are visiting the elderly at retirement homes. It puts such an expression on their gloomy faces that words just can`t describe. It really brightens their days and gives them something to look forward to on a next visit...

If you`re not in it for life, get a stuffed animal.
post #3 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-08-2003, 08:08 PM
Wants to Hug Hose Bunnies

While continuing my hunt for sheltie information I found this and thought of you:
Link

It has a ton of information on that site!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 4 (permalink) Old 10-08-2003, 09:03 PM Thread Starter
PT's Troll Hunter

Thanks!

Tags
animal control, animal control officer, lap dog