Thinking of getting a new addition :) - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-03-2008, 01:18 PM Thread Starter
Zippy Chickenshorts

Thinking of getting a new addition :)

Well, I'm dead excited, but I must not get my hopes up to high because we may chane our minds yet.
We went on holiday up to Cumbria and stayed in a nice little lodge. We never spent long in the lodge, only used it for sleeping and stuff because we were out like all of the time.
The thing that got to us though, was that everyone we passed had a dog and they were sooo happy with their dog and the dog always looked so happy to and it really began to taunt us.
The thing is, we had a dalmation. He was called Domino and when we first got him he seemed like such a sweetheart and don't ge me wrong, we loved him to peices and got him extra training classes and did everything we could, but he was just not having any of it
He became slightly aggressive, riped up our sofa, run away every time he saw the chance and in the end we decided it was best to give him to a woman who offered to take him because she has loads of acers of land he could run in and loads of experiance with dalmations. We got him from a rehoming centre who told us that he was very obediant and everything, but he wasn't, thats why we want a dog from a puppy, even though it might be tough to start, we can handle and train the puppy ourselfs
We're looking at jack russells, but we know these can be a bit stubbon so we are looking at other types aswell.
We are not completly certian, but in the meantime, can you give me any advice? I am up for it, have enough time and money and we all feel ready for a new puppy, it just seems like the right time.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Pipi my hamster
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

RIP Arthur 10/04/08-22/11/09
RIP Pepper 13/01/08-15/03/10
RIP Husky 10/04/09-20/03/10
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-03-2008, 01:59 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

My friend had a Jack Russell and it was a hyper little thing. I would think you would need to keep it very busy. A lot of smaller dogs are known for being hyper or stubborn. Miniature pinschers are known for being escape artists and hyper. Most Papillions I have met are way hyper too, but they are supposed to be very smart and trainable.

Not to say jack russell's aren't great dogs, but my friend ended up rehoming his because it was so hyper (it went around chasing his horses and almost got hurt). It could have just been that he had a crazy one though. I have another friend who has a Rat Terrier and it is still pretty hyper, but not as bad as that jack russell my other friend had. You may want to look in to a rat terrier. They look like a jack russell, but are supposed to be a little less intense.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rat_terrier

If you do get a jack russell I would think about doing agility courses or some sort of outdoor training to keep him tired out. Dogs often rip up stuff when they are bored and hyper.

--------------------
~Marcia

--------------------------

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-04-2008, 11:16 AM Thread Starter
Zippy Chickenshorts

Thank you ever so much for your help, I did think about what you said and after seeing a few jacks we new they were probably not a great idea. We also didn't think rat terriers were for us either even though they are a better idea than jacks.
Today, we went down to a rehoming centre and spent pretty much the whole day down there. Even though what happened with Domino is still stuck up there in our heads we thought that rehoming would be a better option for the sort of dog we need.
Anyway, picking a dog was very hard at first, there were quite a few we fell in love with, but they all had their good points and their bad points. There was a gorgeous german shepard that we really badly wanted, but he was the biggest dog in the whole of the kennels and we just couldn't have him. There were also some wonderful border collies that I would happily have taken, however we couldn't have those either. We almost decided on a collie cross because he was so beautiful and he was really shy, but he actually came when I called him! But we have four very noisy dogs that do non stop barking up the road from us and unfortunatly he is to shy to live in that sort of enviroment. In the end we found the perfect dog! He is a 6 year old black & tan GSD cross. He was given to the centre as a stray and had lots of work done. we asked to walk him on the lead to see how he was at first and it turned out he is an absolute angel, brilliant on the lead! So we've signed all the papers and bringing him home tomorrow!!! I'll post another thread and if I can find my camera lead there will be piccies to in the next week or so because I don't want to freak him out to start. Thanks for your help again, it did make a difference
xxx

Pipi my hamster

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-04-2008, 11:19 AM
Fashion Animal Freak :)

OHHHH nikita good LUCK!
I hope you get one !

Well my cousin has a jack russell he is the sweetest boy! although he does'nt like it when kids pull his tail LOL hes pretty hyper but they are very barky and hyper as marmilla said !

I want a pug but they arnt really common in the uk and they are like 1,000 i would rehome an older dog but because i have a wee niece i would rather bring a pup up around her.

Hope you find one that suits everyone !
Lots of luck xxx

Rip Novo, Mummy Loves You x
"To close your eyes will not ease another's pain."
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-04-2008, 11:21 AM
Fashion Animal Freak :)

AAA i didn't read your thread nikita i posted at the same TIME LOL!!

Im glad you found one and make sure to get piccys !!
Good luck x3

Rip Novo, Mummy Loves You x
"To close your eyes will not ease another's pain."
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-04-2008, 11:35 AM Thread Starter
Zippy Chickenshorts

Thank you Claire hehe LOL
Well, every jack w came across wouldn't stop barking and we didn't want a noisy dog.
Also, the dog we are getting is called Indie, we were not going to get him at first because he wouldn't stop howling, but it turns out that he was only howling because he is finding kennel life really stressful bless him
On friday he will be going for a check up at the vets and we want to neuter him soon aswell. In two weeks we will have a check up from the people, but everything should be fine as we have had a dalmation before after all LOL
Sorry to ask, but did your pom, Lady, pass away?
I'm really happy you are thinking about getting a new doggy

Pipi my hamster

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-04-2008, 12:56 PM Thread Starter
Zippy Chickenshorts

Okays, I found the website where we're getting indie from, here is the link;(You are looking for Indie, the thirteenth one down)
http://www.woodgreen.org.uk/the-anim...ngforhomes.asp
If you look to the next one past Indie there is Ben who we were going to take, but he was far to big and strong and needs medics for his eyes which would be ongoing and we didn't think we'd be able to afford it.
We also liked Finner and Lulu, but once again there were to many bad points
Indie is the best though and I can't wait until tomorrow!!!

Pipi my hamster

Rayray
Chico-Rico
Cappuccino my ratties

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-04-2008, 02:20 PM
Movin' Up in the Pack

I'm glad you guys found a dog! German shepherds are supposed to be good at obedience, which it sounds like you guys are wanting. I hope his transition is smooth and I can't wait to see pictures!

--------------------
~Marcia

--------------------------