thinking of getting new dog! - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-05-2005, 07:50 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

thinking of getting new dog!

Hey! i am thinking of getting a dachshund so my shih-Tzu can have a playmate. I have looked up tons of info and talked to my uncle about them because he breeds them and is going to give me one. So i was wondering if anyone on here who has/had one can give me some of your advice?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-06-2005, 08:47 AM
Movin' Up in the Pack

Congrats on getting a new dog! Sorry have no advice but can't wait to hear all about your new puppy and maybe see pictures

Shannon

Mother to a beautiful girl!

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-06-2005, 12:32 PM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

I will post pic. I am a pic. fanatic! Lol! I would put up pic. of Sadie now but we are moving to california right now and have the laptop out. As soon as we get there and get setteled in I will post some!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-06-2005, 05:31 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

I suggest you do a TON of research because they are not the dogs for everyone.

I have a dachshund, and they can be very hard dogs to keep. They are often difficult to train and housebreak (my doxie still has accidents sometimes).

You can message me with any direct questions .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-06-2005, 08:12 PM
Miss New Booty

Hi there Alisha! I have 2 mini dachshunds. A black and tan male named Kahlua and a piebald girl named Penny.

Like Sasami said, the most important thing is to do alot of reading and research and make sure the dachshund is the right dog for you and your household. Sounds like you have already done a lot, thatís great! I bought the book "Dachshunds for Dummies" before we got Kahlua, it's a great book! Dachshunds are such awesome little dogs.

Here are a few links that I like, too, that describe the breed and personality, etc.

http://oamweb.com/educational/dachsi...achshunds.html

http://www.dogbreedinfo.com/dachshund.htm

Kahlua was my very first dog ever, and I fell in love! I will always have a dachshund! They are a wonderful breed!! They are very loving and devoted to their owners, they are a lot of fun.

The big thing with dachshunds is they can have major back problems since they have such long bodies. You have to keep an eye on their weight, because if a dachshund gets overweight it could cause stress on their backs, and be more prone to back injury, thus possible paralysis. Also, you have to be careful they arenít jumping high, jumping off high things, etc, so they donít injure their backs.

They can be very loud barkers. LOL! Another thing to prepare for! Dachshunds donít know they arenít very big, thatís for sure because they have a huge bark. They are very protective and we call them our security system. They hear anything and everything, and are very alert to their surroundings.

As far as housetraining, my dachshunds got it down pat pretty well, small breed dogs can be harder to housetrain, like my papillon, but all dogs are different. Kahlua and his littermates were trained from puppies to go outside, so I think that could make it a bit easier.

They seem to get all get along fine, too. I also have a papillon, Jasmine, and they get along good. I would think a doxie would get along good with your shi-tzu but I donít know a lot about their personalities to know for sure. I do find that Jasmine and Penny both being females are always trying to show whoís the dominant one, so if you have a female shi-tzu, a male dachshund might be a better playmate.

I hope that I could help! Good luck and keep us posted!!

Oh, here's a pic of Kahlua and Penny incase you wanted to see.

~* Jackie *~

post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-07-2005, 08:50 AM Thread Starter
Playful Pup

your dogs are so cute!!!! Sadie is energetic, loves to play and very alert! She doesn't really bark though unless she is outside "protecting" us! lol! She also barks when she wants attention our when i am playing toys with her! I think I am going to get a dapple Dachshund because thats what most of his dacshunds are that he breeds. I always wanted a balck one with tan markings though!
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-07-2005, 07:50 PM
Miss New Booty

Thanks for the nice compliment!
Aww dapples are beautiful! If you get one I hope you post pics ofcourse, keep us posted! Brandy (dappledoxie) has a dapple named Claire, she's adorable. Do we get to see pics of Sadie?

~* Jackie *~

post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 12-08-2005, 01:10 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

I love doxies. They're so darn cute. I work at Petsmart and we have this lady who comes in there all the time and she has like 4 or 5 of them. A couple weeks ago they got into something toxic, but they're all doing good now. I started crying with the lady when she told me they were really sick. Sad, really, but I love those little cuties... Does your uncle have them genetically tested and all that?

Jenny, Zookeeper Extraordinare

Mom to:

Pooters, Gracie, Mr. Muggles McLovin It (all three Chi mixes), Angel (Lab mix), and Nina (Sheltie mix)

: Hollands: Peneloppy, Sunkist, Scooby, Toby, Timothy, and Dante; Jersey Wooly: Dini and Dana; Lionheads: Cricket, Tinsel, Missy, Mrs. Jingles, Winnie; Netherlands: Quasar, Amos, and Shutterbug; Havana mix: Colby; Fuzzy Holland Lop: Henry; Velveteen Lops: Prudence and Jude AKA Tigger

Fernando

Benny

Maverick (Bearded Dragon) and Panda (Leopard Gecko)

Lionel (Ball Python) and Arrow (Cornsnake)

Falcon, Sherbert, Razzle and Pearl (All Bettas)

RIP Arthur

Tags
breed dogs