Thought you all might find this interesting... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 01:47 AM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Thought you all might find this interesting...

I came across this page: http://www.boston-terriers.com/food.htm

Kendalle, I hope this will be of some help to you in your quest.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 03:13 AM
I am allergic to maths

Ugh, everybody is selling to make money, no one seems to care about the animals
post #3 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 07:06 AM
Adolescent Pup

Quote:
Originally Posted by RodentzRule View Post
Ugh, everybody is selling to make money, no one seems to care about the animals
This is so true! Its shocking to see what actually goes into certain pet food. I feed my dog Arden grange which is british feed company, and so far i've had no problems, and is worth paying the extra money.

Charlie the cocker spaniel (Male)

R.I.P, Reggie and Moss (jirdy boys) gone but never forgotten
To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

~The soul is the same in all living creatures, although the body of each is different. Hippocrates~
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 01:13 PM
Paw-Talk Lifer

thanks for posting that!

[/CENTER]

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #5 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 01:36 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

No problem. I was shocked myself. I mean, finding sharp fish bones is pretty normal, considering, but bits of metal and plastic? That's like the Halloween scare we had a few years back. People were(and some probably still are) hiding razor blades in candy. So instead of having to fear one day out of the entire year, now people are fearing every day, of every year. It's absolutely ridiculous.

So yeah, everyone, run your fingers through your pet's food if it's dry, and push through it with a spoon or with gloves on if it's canned. Make sure this doesn't happen to your pet!

Also, I ran into a complaint on consumeraffairs.com, can't remember what brand it was, but I know it was dry. She was feeding the food to like her..9 Dobermans, and noticed the food was discolored and looked moldy. She kept feeding it, because it didn't smell moldy. It caused one of her dogs to die.

..If something looks off with your pet food.... please consider the possibly consequences if you continue feeding it. x.x
post #6 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 03:49 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Here's another; cyanuric acid and acetaminophen were found in Innova kibble a few years ago. So yeah; definitely check over your pet's food. The spots were black and white, and hard: http://www.itchmo.com/innova-testing...naturapet-1845
post #7 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 06:01 PM
I am allergic to maths

For the first two weeks of owning our dog she was on eukanuba (thats what the breeder fed) and had no problems with it but knowing it was a bad food we changed and have been through a range of foods including royal canin and we are now back with eukanuba large breed puppy formulae for want of a better food. Im still searching because eukanuba isnt great but we havnt found anything in it but this honestly makes it harder to feed, not only because of the worry but because of personal standards. If we support these companys we are putting other dogs in danger
post #8 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 06:32 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

I'm disgusted because Innova claims they don't use byproducts - but if a suture was found in a piece of kibble, that means it had to have come from a euthanized pet at a vet's office, which got sent to a rendering facility and..*gasp* that makes the meat source a BYPRODUCT!
post #9 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 08:42 PM
Super Moderator

There was a lot of controversy on the authenticity of some of the "facts" on that site you linked too though.

Here is a letter from Innova in regards to this issue:

Quote:
Dear pet lover,

Thank you for contacting us about our products. We are not having any problems with any of our products. There has been no sutures found in our food. What was believed to be a suture what actually connective tissue. We have recently performed some test on our food to be sure that it is free of melamine, cyanuric acid and also acetaminophen. If you would like to see these test results you can visit our website at www.naturapet.com

I hope this information is helpful. Please feel free to contact me if you need any additional information or if you have any questions.

(Name Removed)
Natura Pet Products
800-532-7261
The person who wrote that website you linked too also bashes raw diets. They are trying to sell their own dog food, so it would benefit them to make other foods look bad.

Also I don't think you can automatically make the jump from suture material to it having to be from a euthanized pet. Sutures are also used in cattle and other farm animals.

Not trying to start any arguments, just posting the other side of the argument.

post #10 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 08:53 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Addict

Connective tissue would have dissolved during the baking process.

And most critters raised for meat don't have any need to have sutures. They're born, killed as either babies, or adults, and that's that. :/

I understand you're trying to post the other side of the arguement, but I completely believe it's a suture; anything else naturally I should think would've disintegrated when the kibble was being baked.
post #11 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 08:59 PM
Super Moderator

You can believe what you want, of course. I don't even feed Innova, so I'm not going to go crazy defending them, but the site you linked to is, in my opinion, far from a trustworthy source. How can you be sure that they didn't just tie sutures onto the kibbles themselves?

post #12 of 12 (permalink) Old 02-17-2010, 09:35 PM
Resident Aquarium Nerd

Hmm. Not the most trustworthy-looking website (and it crashed my browser repeatedly) but interesting. Nothing I'd take too seriously (looks like they just want to sell their own food) but thanks for the link .

~Stephanie

"We weep for a bird's cry, but not for a fish's blood. Blessed are those with a voice."

Tags
bloody stools, latex glove, salmon bones, saran wrap