ticks - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 01:28 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

ticks

So I found a tick on my boyfriend's dog. It was attached to her and I took it off because nobody wanted to do it. I need some feedback on some flea and tick products because I'm not sure what to buy. I know they wont buy anything and I feel sorry for her. I'm not sure if she still has some but it didn't seem like it. I just noticed that one because her hair looked lifted. It was so disgusting to take it off...but it's better than leaving it on her.

My babies...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 01:50 AM
I'm A Blonde At Heart

Talk to your vet. Lady gets on Advantage every summer, when she gets fleas, Trinity hasn't had any yet thank goodnes. But I remember when we had to remove a tick we put alchole on a q-tip and then placed it on the tick it ussally makes them back out so you get their head. For really stubburn ones you sometimes might have to light a match blow it out and put the hot part on the tick that gennerly takes them out... doesnt hurt the animal!
post #3 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 01:54 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Is it bad to just pull it out? I put alcohol on her afterwards so that it wouldn't get infected. It didn't seem to hurt her when I took the tick off but she did bleed a little. I figured she would since eitherway the tick made a hole in her to suck the blood out.

My babies...

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 02:02 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Ticks are gross.
We just pull ours out and then put solution on after.
Sonny had 3 yesterday, I thought I would give him a good check so I felt his neck and there was 3. 1 had exploded or something and there was tiny blood flecks on his white fur.
It is very hard to get stuff to kill them as frontline only lasts 2 weeks and you can only put it on every month, and tick collars last about 6 weeks but they are toxic if you eat them but they wouls be ok if it is the only animal in the house.
You might be able to get different stuff in the US.
The best thing is to just keep checking for them and removing them and check with the vet in that area how at risk of lyme disease there is, think it is quite rare in cats and if needs be get a vaccination.
If there is a risk then next time you get a tick keep it in case you need to show the doctor.
I am becoming a tick expert

My handsome Prince

Swirly, Squashy, Squishy, Spot, Star, Slash and Rocky

Indy and Myfanwy

Tilly, Emil, Sonny and Smudge
post #5 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 02:03 AM
I'm A Blonde At Heart

I dunno I know that getting the head out is kind of hard... https://www.askdrsears.com/html/10/T110220.asp OK SCRATCH THE MATCH THING!!! now I feel horrible!!!

http://www.drhuggiebear.com/dhbpages/Ticks.html

http://www.placervillevet.com/tick_remove.htm
post #6 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 02:04 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Oh and the best way to pull them out is to grab as far down with tweezers without pinching the skin and pull firm but slowly.
Do not touch them with your hands and always wash your hands str8 after.
Any more info you need just ask

My handsome Prince

Indy and Myfanwy

post #7 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 02:08 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Tilly had a very stubborn tick whos head got stuck and we had to scrape it away, she was as good as gold though.
Just get as close as possible and pull slowly and try to pull as close to the skin.
If the head does not all come out it is not so serious as we could not get Emils head out and it ust scabbed and pushed the head out itself.
All bodies will try to remove foreign bodies but keep an eye out in case of infection.

My handsome Prince

Indy and Myfanwy

post #8 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 02:17 AM
Tarzan Mama of Two

I just wanted to say that you can put frontline on every two weeks. Frontline is a very safe product for cats and dogs (not rabbits). If you live in a tick area then you should be putting the frontline on every two weeks. Or you can use the frontline spray which lasts for ticks for three weeks (not quite sure why the difference there). Make sure the head is gone...take her to the vet if you can't be sure. Dogs can die from tick paralysis so it's not to be taken lightly! run your hands very slowly through the dog's coat and feel the skin. You'll feel a 'pimple' and that is most likely another tick.

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #9 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 02:27 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

Just been reading the frontline web site it did not say about the capsule but it did say not to reapply the spray before 30 days.
Here you can get a free sample
http://frontline.us.merial.com/promo...ine_coupon.asp

My handsome Prince

Indy and Myfanwy

post #10 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 02:30 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

The thing is, it's not my dog and her owners wouldn't take her. I'm the one that bathes her and really notices the small things. That's why I realized she had a tick in the first place or else her owners would've never known. I just want to buy something for ticks that is waterproof so that they wont keep getting on her. I don't know if she only had that one. I only briefly looked her over. When I took it off I took the whole tick out with tweezers. I pulled it straight out with head attached and everything. If I put something with tick control on her will it kill any ticks that are still attached to her?

My babies...

post #11 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 02:33 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

http://www.pestproducts.com/ticks1.htm

I think either the frontline spray or the collar would be the best option for you.
It kills them even b4 they bite but it must be reapplied read instructions though...

My handsome Prince

Indy and Myfanwy

post #12 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 02:34 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

This is small but sweet
http://www.behaviour-problems.freese...ases/ticks.htm

My handsome Prince

Indy and Myfanwy

post #13 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 02:35 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

This shows ticks on humans
http://mdc.mo.gov/nathis/arthopo/ticks/

My handsome Prince

Indy and Myfanwy

post #14 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 02:37 AM
Paw-Talk Golden Member

This is good for you as it is ticks in texas
http://www.ticktexas.org/

Ok i will stop now

My handsome Prince

Indy and Myfanwy

post #15 of 41 (permalink) Old 05-04-2005, 02:38 AM Thread Starter
Part of the Pack

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninja_smurtles
This shows ticks on humans
http://mdc.mo.gov/nathis/arthopo/ticks/
That's nasty. I swear, after I took that tick off I got chills for over an hour. I hate bugs.

My babies...

Tags
lyme disease, older dog, pet store, regular vet