Tilly is coughing, and it's not kennel cough.... - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-13-2003, 12:45 AM Thread Starter

Tilly is coughing, and it's not kennel cough....

As some of you know, Patrick and Jack have an Aunt Tilly, she's a 10 year old beagle who was rescued from a puppy mill and she was a mill, where my MIL adopted her 3 1/2 years ago from the rescue.

She is not your usual Beagle where she barked once she my MIL got her three years ago when my SIL brought her beagle home from a visit. Hasn't barked before then, and hasn't barked since.

Tilly is just a calm old lady, and if it weren't for here, I don't know what MIL would do.

Now, she has the cough. She was taken to the vet, ironically, the same time that Scott had his heart attack. It has nothing to do with her lungs or heart, thank God, but because of her teeth. We know that her teeth are bad because of her poor nutrition, and over 6 years of neglect.

Does anyone have any advice on what to do with her except for the antibiotics and cough supressant that she's on?

(I think you all should know, I have a lot of updating and posting since Friday)
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-13-2003, 12:48 AM
Paw-Talk Lifer

You might ask about a collapsing trachea too. It happens in smaller dogs, especially as they get older.

Other than that and a good teeth cleaning, I'm not sure what else you can do. Good luck with her!

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #3 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-13-2003, 10:20 AM

Oh Good luck! I hope she will be okay!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-13-2003, 02:22 PM

It could also be an upper respiratory infection or posible sore throat but if you are already using antibiotics and cough suppressents those should be helping. If any mucous comes up then you need to have the vet recheck for it could have advanced to a pneumonia. Also a lot of times kennel cough is mistaken for a foreign object that has been inhaled. Most times anything that has been inhaled, the cough will clear up on its own.
post #5 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-15-2003, 12:45 AM
Paw-Talk Addict

I wish a speedy recovery for Tilly... it sounds like you are doing the best for her.
The only thing that comes to mind as far as making her more comfortable during her coughing episodes is...
Sitting in the bathroom with her, door closed - run the shower on hot, hot, hot, and let the room fill up with steam. The humidity might help calm any trachael spasms due to irritation. Sitting there in the steam for 10 to 15 minutes just might help a bit.
Poor Tilly... I'll send her some good vibes and hope it all clears up real soon.

[center]

[
post #6 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-15-2003, 10:26 AM

Also PatnJackmom,

Did the beagle test positive for heartworms. If she has heartworms, coughing is usually the first sign.
post #7 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-15-2003, 11:48 PM Thread Starter

We know that she doesn't have heart worm, she had it,but she's cured of it, and it didn't not return.

Jade, I will have to ask about the collapsing trachea. Which I hope that she doesn't have. I know that something must have been done with her because she does not bark at all. She did once when she first met Rosie, and hasn't ever since. Doesn't any one else know of an adverse way to make a dog not to bark at all besides cutting the cords? Because Tilly is a beagle that doesn't bark and she was a mill. I think my MIL would throw a party if she ever did, not a lot just a little. Rosie does enough for both she and Tilly. It would be one last thing that she have left over from her neglected life before.
post #8 of 8 (permalink) Old 08-16-2003, 08:49 AM

Barking! How much of a hunting instinct does she have. I you have a rabbit, you could try letting the rabbit make a trail and see if she will follow. Most beagles have a hound bark while trailing...then if she doesn`t bark at least it could still be fun for her. Just a thought!

Tags
kennel cough, puppy mill, respiratory infection, upper respiratory infection