Toenail tips? - Paw Talk - Pet Forums
Dogs Wagging tails, wet noses, unconditional love, and everything else that goes along with canines!

LinkBack Thread Tools
post #1 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-26-2004, 07:49 PM Thread Starter
Paw-Talk Lifer

Toenail tips?

I've managed to clip some of Gumbo's nails, but find I have to do it while he's asleep. I managed to get about 6 done with no more than three at a time before he woke up and tried to get away. I play with his feet all the time to try and desensitize him to it, but he does NOT like it. Any tips or tricks?

Stephanie

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 10 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-26-2004, 08:03 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

You could try teaching it as a trick to him.
For example....you can touch near his feet, rewad him if he stays still. Then when he is confident with that you can place one finger on his feet, reward him when he stays still. When he is confident with that start touching him with the nail clippers. Reward when he stays still. Once he is confident with that you can start raising his paws and touching with nail clippers. Reward and then you should be able to clip them without him moving on you!
You'll need to do this every day to get him up to speed quickly and don't clip his nails while you are training cause you will just have to start all over again. If he is desperate to get them done get someone at your work to do his nails without you in the room so that he builds confidence with you easier. Even if you are the only one that can do it to start off with you can then get Chris to go through the training process with him to make him more confident with Chris too so you can both do it.

Too lazy to even think of a siggy
post #3 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-26-2004, 08:04 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

oh I forgot to add....when he is fully confident with you clipping his nails you can put a cue to it like 'nails' so he knows what to expect and treat him at the end!

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #4 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-26-2004, 08:32 PM
I Think I Need a Bigger Bear

Well, I know you said he doesn't like to be held down, but he does need to learn that Mom has to do certain things. I agree, try making it fun. Try treats, distracting him all that.

NONE of it worked with my Tito. And trust me, I tried every trick in the book. He's a tweaker. So, I just flip him over on my lap and hold his little chicken leg in my hand and clippie clippie. He screams every time I clip like I'm beatin him to death Poor kid has some *issues*. But when we're done he gets lots of kisses and a snausage. Works for us! Hopefully it wont come to that for you!!

~ Jodi ~

post #5 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-26-2004, 08:35 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

Jodi my aunty's dog starts screaming when she sees the clippers!!! My aunty starts screaming at my uncle 'you're hurting her you're hurting her' and my uncle starts screaming back 'shutup woman I'm not even touching her' It is the funniest thing you have ever seen!!! Then after all of the dog's nails are cut she hobbles around all her legs and whimpers as if they have just cut all her toes off!!! I swear the neighbours must think they are trying to kill their dog when all this is going on. I'm useless to them cause I'm too busy cracking up laughing at them and have the tears rolling down my cheek!

post #6 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-26-2004, 08:35 PM
Tarzan Mama of Two

oh and I must say I have never seen my uncle make this dog bleed yet!

post #7 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-27-2004, 12:12 AM
Fluffy Potatokisser

I agree with both Carmen and Jodi...try the treat trick thing...if that doesn't work, you'll have to hold him down...Kali sees the nail clippers and flops upside-down in our laps now...Orion must be wrestled to the ground and partially pinned using a leg or two...be glad Gumbo isn't as big as Orion! Otherwise you would have to practice with a twister board!

Chin Mom to Lila, Skye, Ty, Rolex, Calypso, Lizzie, Jax, Sam, Sage, Lorenzo, Spitfire, Holly, Dylan, Leia, Punky, Kylie, Skylar, Jetta, Oreo, Emma, Forest, Georgie, Alexis, Picador and all the kits!
Pittie Mom to Kali and Orion
Rattie Mom to Drake and Dumbo
Bunny Mom to Dutchie
Plain ole Mom to Zach, Brandon and Connor!
Come visit us at
post #8 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-27-2004, 02:14 PM
Poo dont scare me!!!

Yep...same as Mandie's dogs...Harlie is a breeze and lets you do her nails no problem...but Max has to be pinned down too...lol...I basically have to sit on his lower half while Josh holds down his upper half while I cut his nails...but he has survived everytime and he gets a treat when he is all done. lol...He always watches me do Harlies first, and you would think that he would realize by her example that it isnt painful or anything...but of course, no.

post #9 of 9 (permalink) Old 09-27-2004, 06:49 PM
Paw-Talk Therapist

Dante's good, lets me do them. But growls at me the whole time But I give him lots of lovin' at the end, and he forgets it all.

Owned by 26 chins, 7 cats, 2 dogs, and 7 aquariums

Come drop by!